shrimp-sized lobster

Does anyone else feel sad for the shrimp-sized lobster (tails) served on elegant night?news-lobster-night.jpg

We live one hour from the NH/Maine coast so we are spoiled by "real" lobster. The lobsters we buy were still in the ocean mere hours before being steamed to perfection.

Lobster is a bottom feeder, gutter provisions that got a fortuitous PR makeover. Eating steak served in the MDR is consuming cruelty.

I like this comment. Being served Lobster Pot Pie at a colonial themed restraunt it was explained that lobster was considered an inferior dish and was served to ppl in prisons and pets. Even though they came up with variations to serve it, a law came to pass whereby it was considered cruel and unusual punishment to serve lobster in prisons 7 days a week. The lobster canning business thinned out the population to a point where lobsters stopped piling up on the shores, and the dish became an exotic food to be served in the dining cars of cross country trains.

I like this comment. Being served Lobster Pot Pie at a colonial themed restraunt it was explained that lobster was considered an inferior dish and was served to ppl in prisons and pets. Even though they came up with variations to serve it, a law came to pass whereby it was considered cruel and unusual punishment to serve lobster in prisons 7 days a week. The lobster canning business thinned out the population to a point where lobsters stopped piling up on the shores, and the dish became an exotic food to be served in the dining cars of cross country trains.

That's interesting. I worked with a woman who had grown up in Louisiana. She didn't like shrimp. I asked her why, meaning taste, texture, method of cooking, etc.

She said they were poor her entire childhood, and that nearly daily she accompanied her grandmother to "pick up shrimp" because they couldn't afford groceries.

i notice how you didnt admit to being wrong with attributing the "disgusting" comment to me....you glossed right over that, didnt you :)

I was both a waiter and a bartender many many years ago. I actually had a woman send me back to the kitchen 5 times because her meal wasnt cooked to as she put it "just right". If you were a server/waiter than you know many chefs can be very temperamental....All I will say is he added some extra touches to her meal and i couldnt help but laugh as i looked on as she finally consumed her meal :')

Well most sane people realize that when they are being extra they have a high probability of someone adding extra to their food. I stand by my statement that you probably never served based on this anectdote. Chefs don't actually cook anything in 99.9% of kitchens in the Western world.

Well most sane people realize that when they are being extra they have a high probability of someone adding extra to their food. I stand by my statement that you probably never served based on this anectdote. Chefs don't actually cook anything in 99.9% of kitchens in the Western world.

You can stand by it, but you would be wrong. Probably not the first time that has happened to you

I think the OP is commenting on the baby lobsters that are served. I don't eat the lobster because it's usually over-cooked. Elegant night dinners no longer impress me on Carnival.

Yes! SOMEONE understood "sad" the way I intended! I didn't mean are you sad for yourself that the lobster is so small, I meant are you sad for the lobster who died an early death.

I also agree with you that the baby lobsters are overcooked, evidenced by their lack of mouthfeel, and how watery they are. I don't order them for both reasons - I won't eat a baby, and they are not the experience I want when eating lobster.

I DO order the lobsters off the steakhouse selections menu and generally the table jokes about comparing them.