parking - flying from JFK, returning on QM2

Jesson

We're flying to Europe on Sept 29 via JFK and returning via QM2 arriving Oct 20.

We are considering parking at Brooklyn Pier and taking a taxi or car service to JFK for our flight to Europe. That was our car will be easily accessible when we return on the QM2 - Any opinions? Jesson

As a rule cruise terminal parking lots are not open on days when no ship is docked there, so I doubt you would be able to park at the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal unless there just happens to be a ship in port the day you want to park. Also, no ship in port means no taxis at the cruise terminal.

The opposite plan would work. Park at JFK on the day of your flight and then take a taxi or car service from the cruise terminal to JFK on the day you disembark in Brooklyn.

Another option would be to look at one-way car rentals. We've found it to be less expensive than long-term parking if we're on a trip of about 20 days or longer. Your success would be dependent on whether or not you have a car rental agency near your home and that you can find one near the Brooklyn Pier. We always do our car rentals through our local 'big box' store and they usually save us quite a bit of money. When you're looking at non-airport rental agencies, make sure to check for shortened hours on weekends.

Thank you both for your posts. This changes plans dramatically. Maybe I should take public transportation to JFK and try to arrange for someone to pick us up pier on return. I am worried about luggage hauling. We're travelling minimally for flight and having "ship dressups" sent to the ship. Jess

Not certain where you are traveling from to get to JFK and what public transportation you are considering-subway, LI railroad or bus.

Without that info, I would agree with the previous poster,park at JFK ,then get a cab, car service or friend to to pick you up at the pier and take you to JFK to get your car.

The area around the pier in Red Hook Brooklyn is a mix of industrial ,commercial and residential. I am not certain where a car rental place may be located.

I am mostly certain that it would not be right near the terminal.

Good luck with your planning- IMHO,the easier,the better !

Oops, just "posted reply" without writing anything. We are traveling from NW CT to JFK. We could drive to Bridgeport, CT (about an hour) and park there and take CT Limousine to JFK but then our car would be in CT and we'd need to get from QM2 back to Bridgeport with all the luggage. Amtrak from Bridgeport is also an option. Husband has bad back is my concern. I'm now thinking to hire someone to drive us to JFK and to pick us up at Brooklyn Pier. All options are very expensive and we kind of "spent it all" on the cruise and flight to Europe. Biting lower lip in concern but will work something out. May have to call upon friends for favors! Jess

P.S. What does IMHO stand for?

Since you are coming from CT, IMHO (in my humble opinion), you might want to consider leaving your car at Stamford ($10 per day parking at indoor garage connected to the station), then take MetroNorth rather than Amtrak: more frequent trains, less expensive, and to Grand Central rather than fouled-up Penn Ststion, then taxi to JFK pre-cruise and from Brooklyn post-cruise.

The Brooklyn cruise terminal does not have a ship in port on Sept 29th so parking there is not an option.

Your best plan might be to park at JFK. When you are on board QM2 you can arrange for a bus transfer to JFK. There will be a lot of passengers who are making the WB but are flying back to the UK. This will be a lot cheaper than hiring a private car. At JFK you could get a shuttle to long term parking.

If hauling luggage is a problem, you can also arrange to have your luggage sent home. You would make arrangements on board, then claim your bags in the arrival hall. Just past customs there will be an attendant to take bags to be sent home.

Thank you BlueRiband for the confirmation that there will be no ship in port in Brooklyn on Sept 29 and for the suggestion of arranging for a bus transfer to JFK upon arrival, retrieving our car there, as well as the info on having the luggage sent home.

And thank you NavyBankerTeacher for the Stamford suggestion.

Wish I wasn't so nervous about this whole thing. We want the trip to go smoothly, this being the first, and in celebration of an 80th birthday.

I've been cruising the "reviews" section and think I best stop because some of them ain't so good!

Jess

I disagree with BlueRiband on three counts.

First, for two or more people a taxi of car service will likely he cheaper than taking the Cunard bus transfer. At worst it will cost no more.

Second, if taking the Cunard transfer you will have to leave the cruise terminal when they decide it's time to go and you could easily find yourself sitting on the bus waiting for it to fill. Take a taxi or car service and you will depart on your schedule.

Third, the Cunard transfer drops passengers at the various airline terminals and it will be up to you to make your way to wherever you parked your car, luggage in tow. A taxi or car service will take you directly to the lot where you parked. Also why spend the money alternatively to ship your bags home and then worry about when and if they'll be delivered.

I've been cruising the "reviews" section and think I best stop because some of them ain't so good!

Jess

Don't pay too much attention to the reviews. People being somewhat lazy, it is the complainers, rather than the satisfied cruisers, who bother to post.

We've sailed QM2 westbound twice - Fall 2011 and Fall 2015. Very happy crossings - you do want to bring your Sunday clothes as they do observe MDR dress code. Very good lecture presentations, amazing sea-going planetarium, superior service, and interesting shipmates.

I hope you are taking a bit of time in England before sailing.

I disagree with BlueRiband on three counts.

First, for two or more people a taxi of car service will likely he cheaper than taking the Cunard bus transfer. At worst it will cost no more.

Second, if taking the Cunard transfer you will have to leave the cruise terminal when they decide it's time to go and you could easily find yourself sitting on the bus waiting for it to fill. Take a taxi or car service and you will depart on your schedule.

Third, the Cunard transfer drops passengers at the various airline terminals and it will be up to you to make your way to wherever you parked your car, luggage in tow. A taxi or car service will take you directly to the lot where you parked. Also why spend the money alternatively to ship your bags home and then worry about when and if they'll be delivered.

Let me amend what I said above in red . The taxi or car service taking you directly to the lot where you parked probably works best if you're parking at an off-airport lot.

There is a Hilton Hotel at JFK, you may contact the hotel re long term parking options, JFK may have a long term parking option as well.

We stayed at the Hilton one night before going on the QM2, so that is why I mention it... in San Francisco where I live, the Airport has long term parking, would guess JFK does as well. Hope you have a great trip.

There are some comments in this thread about whether the Brooklyn terminal lot would be accessible on a day without a ship call. There is a little bit of information on the NY Cruise website about dropping off or picking up a car which suggests that it is possible on non-ship days (for example it suggests who to call and where to wait if you need transportation after dropping your car).

There's also a phone number and POC email address to call with questions (646-299-4670; jason.rubino@propark.com). I've had reason to communicate with them in the past and they replied reasonably quickly. I recommend you ask them directly but it appears you may be able to leave your car there before your flight.

Whether it's cost effective to do so compared to other options is probably a different issue.

Another vote here for using a rental car, if convenient to pick up where you are. DH and I live outside of New Haven and have used same for both air and cruise travel in/out of NYC. The drill would probably look as follows. Depending on flight time, pick up rental the night before or the morning of flight. Load up and drive to JFK. Follow signs to car rental return/long term parking - they're right next to one another. You will then use the free Airtrain to travel to your terminal for your flight. It's an elevated train with escalator & elevator platform access. The car rental return will be located at the train station or a short free shuttle ride away. On your return, agencies near the Red Hook Termnal are Enterprise, Hertz, Avis, and Budget. We've been satisfied with Enterprise. None is easily walkable. Shuttle service has proven spotty, taking a cab for us has been easier/quicker. You may have to wait in line for a cab and will probably have to wait in line at the agency, but once done, just load up and you are on your way.

Good luck and have fun doing whatever you decide works best.

Long term parking at JFK is 18 per day, including tax. The website sometimes had coupons. Parking will be around 400. Taxi or car service from port to airport is close to 70.

Port website says Avis location xb4 is closest to port. They suggest code a427700. I suggest checking any discount program which includes Avis. One way rental may be best way to go

Any agency should have drop off at JFK. Do you have a friend relative looking for an excuse to go to NYC? Maybe get a ride going and rent a car for your return.

Since you are coming from CT, IMHO (in my humble opinion), you might want to consider leaving your car at Stamford ($10 per day parking at indoor garage connected to the station), then take MetroNorth rather than Amtrak: more frequent trains, less expensive, and to Grand Central rather than fouled-up Penn Ststion, then taxi to JFK pre-cruise and from Brooklyn post-cruise.

No

Just get a limo or uber from wherever you decide to park your car

With luggage and a bad back do not deal with NYC at all. That's crazy and there is no need to go to NYC

Just get yourself to JFK from the most convenient spot in lower Westchester or ct that you can. That may well be where you actually park your car...or your home...or perhaps metro north from say Stamford to new Rochelle and then uber/limo to JFK from there

On return uber/limo to wherever your car is or to the easiest metro north station that will get you to your car

I just took uber with luggage from JFK to white plains for $122. That was surge pricing too and it's reasonable as it was 1am and lots of pax looking for uber and it taught me that for future airport travel that uber is much more logical than a prearranged driver

In our case our airport pickup driver was waiting for us at the proper time...only we were diverted and the airline never updated their website. So when I finally spoke to him when we landed at our diverted location and knew we would be 7 hours late getting to JFK he of course couldn't wait which was totally understandable. The issue was getting someone out to JFK later on not knowing when later on might be...so uber home it was!! And will be from now on.

Personally in your case as you have back issues I would just get a private limo/uber from point A to point B and back

With a trip as long as yours this cost is just a drop in the bucket

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by luvtheships

No

With luggage and a bad back do not deal with NYC at all. That's crazy and there is no need to go to NYC

Just get yourself to JFK from the most convenient spot in lower Westchester or ct that you can.

NEWS FLASH!!!

The Brooklyn Cruise Terminal and JFK are both in NYC.

NEWS FLASH!!!

True, many people think NYC means Manhattan. The underlying point was valid, IMHO. Taking a train to Penn Station or Grand Central then a taxi is going to be more complicated and expensive then it's worth.

No

Just get yourself to JFK from the most convenient spot in lower Westchester or ct that you can. That may well be where you actually park your car...or your home...or perhaps metro north from say Stamford to new Rochelle and then uber/limo to JFK from there

On return uber/limo to wherever your car is or to the easiest metro north station that will get you to your car

I just took uber with luggage from JFK to white plains for $122. That was surge pricing too and it's reasonable as it was 1am and lots of pax looking for uber and it taught me that for future airport travel that uber is much more logical than a prearranged driver

In our case our airport pickup driver was waiting for us at the proper time...only we were diverted and the airline never updated their website. So when I finally spoke to him when we landed at our diverted location and knew we would be 7 hours late getting to JFK he of course couldn't wait which was totally understandable. The issue was getting someone out to JFK later on not knowing when later on might be...so uber home it was!! And will be from now on.

Personally in your case as you have back issues I would just get a private limo/uber from point A to point B and back

With a trip as long as yours this cost is just a drop in the bucket

How is that easier then a one day, one way car rental?

NEWS FLASH!!!

Qualifying.....

Brooklyn Cruise Terminal is in Brooklyn.

JFK is in Queens.

Both are located in boroughs of NYC.

Port Authority and Grand Central Station are in Manhattan, another borough of NYC.

Driving to the port or JFK can be busy and crowded on the roads. If a person is not used to such driving conditions on the Belt Parkway or the Brooklyn Queens Expressway, they may find the driving and traffic daunting. Using Amtrack or Metro North to Manhattan may also cause a difficult situation in that a person would be subjected to crowds in both train terminals and on the streets of Manhattan. Because of the repairs at Penn Station and connecting lines,plus the tourist season in Manhattan, the crowding situation is intensified this Summer.

OP mentions celebrating an 80th birthday and DH having back problems.

Seems that the easiest and most comfortable transport would be car/driver from their home in Ct to the airport and from the pier ,or the option of driving their car to Stamford or New Rochelle and arranging a car/driver from either location to the airport and from the pier.

My DH and I (both 60+) have found, in traveling ,that comfort and safety trumps cost saving measures.

NEWS FLASH!!!

News flash for you....a previous poster suggested taking a train into grand central or penn and then taxi to JFK

That's ridiculous so that's why I said avoid NYC. With clear reading one would know I was referring to manhattan

Oh and just how do they pronounce Houston Street? Just wondering but I'm guessing just like the city of Houston is pronounced? Or perhaps not?

I also heard that Brooklyn also has another name also? Something connected to royalty?

And Staten Island ...doesn't that too have another name?

Hmmm. Just wondering.

News flash for you....a previous poster suggested taking a train into grand central or penn and then taxi to JFK

That's ridiculous so that's why I said avoid NYC. With clear reading one would know I was referring to manhattan

Oh and just how do they pronounce Houston Street? Just wondering but I'm guessing just like the city of Houston is pronounced? Or perhaps not?

I also heard that Brooklyn also has another name also? Something connected to royalty?

And Staten Island ...doesn't that too have another name?

Hmmm. Just wondering.

I am not sure that residents of Brooklyn (Kings County) and Staten Island (Richmond), as well as those of The Bronx and Queens would like being told that they do not live in NYC.

That name of that street in lower Manhattan is pronounced "how-stin", while the Texas city is more like "hew-stin".

My DH and I (both 60+) have found, in traveling ,that kcomfort and safety trumps cost saving measures.

We feel the same way, that is why we prefer not to drive to any New York are airport or cruise terminal when there is a viable alternative. And, like it or not, for someone from Connecticut, leaving a car at Stamford and taking MetroNorth to Grand Central- while paying $10 per day for secure indoor parking can be seen as a viable alternative. While physical limitations of the OP here might obviate that approach, the fact is these are open boards- and not strictly limited to addressing only one poster's question.

I agree that there are a number of transportation choices for a person to leave from JFK and return to the Brooklyn Pier Terminal in Red Hook.

If I were the OP, I would plan to take the easiest and most comfortable option,considering issues the OP expressed,

Others could choose to use public transportation or rental car-always good to have choices.

My DH and I did the opposite travel when we took the QE2 from Manhattan to England ,then returned to JFK after touring London for several days.

We were fortunate to have a friend take us to the pier and pick us up at the airport.

By the way, I was born and grew up in Queens.

I always thought I was a City kid.

When my family or friends and I went into Manhattan,we said we were going into the City,yet we considered NYC our home.

It may seem a little confusing,but I guess you had to live there !

My DH and I have lived on Eastern Long Island for many years.

We live near beautiful beaches,farms and vineyards.

But, if I had the chance,I would move back to the old neighborhood in a heartbeat.

You can take this girl out to the country,but you can"t take the City out of this girl !