Mediterranean Cruise - RCCL or Celebrity

Hey there! We had the same decision last summer and we love both lines. Both offered similar itineraries for what we were looking for, but when it came to price, there was a big difference. Looking strictly at the cruise price only, Royal was less expensive. But, Celebrity offered 3 perks with theirs, and the combined included value of the drinks package, gratuities and $300 OBC, made them a much better value. We had a fabulous time on Reflection in the Med.

DH & I are planning a Mediterranean cruise when we retire in 2019. Undecided to go with RCCL or Celebrity. Also, which time to go, May-June or Sept.-October. Would appreciate any feedback.

Aileen

I've done Med on both X and RCL.... ship doesn't matter in my humble opinion.

Itinerary should be the absolute number 1 consideration:

Embarkation and debarkation port (ie. start in Rome and end in Venice.... or Rome to Rome, etc), Rarity of ports, length of time in port, bucket list must-see at least once in your lifetime ports (Venice, Malta, Dubrovnik, Istanbul, Santorini, etc etc). Both RCL and X will give you good dinner, a great place to sleep and a beautiful ship to sail on.

I've done Med both spring and fall as well... I personally like September as my very favorite month (not October). May #2 choice.

Weather will be less predictable in may, late September and October,

June ,July august mostly hot and blue skies, eastern med is warmer than west where the winds will be

Higher

We have travelled in June, August and September, and always had very good weather with claim seas, we do like hot,

It's hot but not humid like the caribbean.

There will be alot less kids on celebrity in the med and a good cross section of nationalities.

I agree with Hoopster95 that the itinerary should be your primary consideration.

I'm partial to Celebrity but haven't sailed in about 10 years so I'm not really sure how they're holding up. When we did the Med with them in 2006 I couldn't have been more pleased with all aspects of the cruise. So when we were looking to cruise the Mediterranean this summer I only looked at X, but their itineraries just weren't right for us so we are doing RCL for the first time this August.

Hoping you find your perfect itinerary!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Very much enjoyed our Med cruise with X -- especially the dining options.

It also included an overnight in Istanbul, which I understand was cancelled.

For me, sailing in or out from Venice is a must.

Santorini, Dubrovnik, Kotor and Corfu -- a big bonus :D

May or October are our favourite times. The weather is cooler and the crowds are smaller. Many of the places you would want to see have enormous line ups and for us, standing in a line in hot sun spoils the experience. I would zero in on the ports you want to visit, then see which line offers the closest match. Consider adding a few days before and/or after the cruise to see at least one city in more depth (as well as getting over jet lag). Mediterranean cruises are port intensive so it is better to start off well rested if you want to make the most of the experience.

I would choose which places you want to see most of all and then find the best itinerary to match - and obviously take into account your budget. I wouldn't necessarily choose one cruiseline over the other, both have their pros and cons.

My favourite month is September, still nicely warm but crowds thinning out, after that I would go for June. We've had some very rainy days in the Med in May, particularly in the Western Med and October can be changeable and the days are getting shorter.