Horseshoe Bay Bermuda got Jelly Fish???

mscasey95

Hello fellow cruisers, I was just wondering if Horshoe Bay is still plagued with Portuguese Men Of War (Jelly Fish) this year as they were last year?

They closed the beach early two out of the three days we were in Bermuda last year and both DH and I got stung a few times!!

I would appreciate anyone's input.

Thank you,

Patti K

Hello fellow cruisers, I was just wondering if Horshoe Bay is still plagued with Portuguese Men Of War (Jelly Fish) this year as they were last year?

They closed the beach early two out of the three days we were in Bermuda last year and both DH and I got stung a few times!!

I would appreciate anyone's input.

Thank you,

Patti K

You were EACH "stung a few times"? After taking the lengthy time to remove all the tentacles and treat the first sting, why would you keep doing it? :confused:

Thank you so much for taking the time to let me know about the conditions at Horseshoe Bay.

I can't understand how some days they're there and some days they're not!

The first time we ever encountered this problem was last year (and we go just about every summer)!!

Happy Cruising!

Patti

All has to do with the wind and tides. I know in Hawaii, it was "so many days after a full moon, on this side of the island" where conditions would be optimal for man-o-war to come ashore.

When we were at Horseshoe bay last month, there were a half dozen washed up on shore. People would mark them so others would not step on them and get stuck. And eventually, the life guards on patrol would remove them from the beach.

But the beach was open. Every one was in the water. You just had to understand that there were a few in the water at that time.

All has to do with the wind and tides. I know in Hawaii, it was "so many days after a full moon, on this side of the island" where conditions would be optimal for man-o-war to come ashore.

When we were at Horseshoe bay last month, there were a half dozen washed up on shore. People would mark them so others would not step on them and get stuck. And eventually, the life guards on patrol would remove them from the beach.

But the beach was open. Every one was in the water. You just had to understand that there were a few in the water at that time.

They're actually box jelly fish which are a lot smaller than the man-o-war. Also it's 10 days after the full moon.

POSTED: JUL 11 2017 04:46PM EDT

UPDATED: JUL 11 2017 04:51PM EDT

NEW JERSEY (WTXF) - A Portuguese man o' war washed up on the beach in Harvey Cedar, New Jersey.

It happened around 10 a.m. Friday on Shoreline Beach.

According to the beach patrol, it was disposed of and no one was injured.

Portuguese man o' wars look like jelly fish. Experts say they have extremely long tentacles that can wrap around a person and sting them several times, causing itching, swelling, nausea and in rare cases death.

They ride the gulf stream To New England Too. :evilsmile:

I read that Australian beaches have special nets stretched across the swimming areas of beaches, in order to protect swimmers from the deadly box jelly. If problems with the Portuguese Men O' War continue to plague Bermuda's beaches, they should look into the nets.

Unlike conventional Jellies which can propel themselves, the Portuguese Man O' War, is carried by currents, winds, and tides. Yes, the gulf stream has brought them as far north as Nantucket, where I saw one on the shore many years ago.

I read that Australian beaches have special nets stretched across the swimming areas of beaches, in order to protect swimmers from the deadly box jelly. If problems with the Portuguese Men O' War continue to plague Bermuda's beaches, they should look into the nets.

Unlike conventional Jellies which can propel themselves, the Portuguese Man O' War, is carried by currents, winds, and tides. Yes, the gulf stream has brought them as far north as Nantucket, where I saw one on the shore many years ago.

Those nets sound like something that any beach with Jelly fish should invest in.

You were EACH "stung a few times"? After taking the lengthy time to remove all the tentacles and treat the first sting, why would you keep doing it? :confused:

It was a sting like a bee sting, didn't see anyone thy got stung having to remove any tentacles! We were both stung within a 30 second period, then we got out. I will bring some vinegar this year as they say to put vinegar or urinate on the sting! The second day, I brought an inner tube so my feet weren't on the bottom and I had no problem. Seems like they were hovering on the bottom and stung people's feet. We're not that stupid to stay in the water and keep getting stung!!!

It was a sting like a bee sting, didn't see anyone thy got stung having to remove any tentacles! We were both stung within a 30 second period, then we got out. I will bring some vinegar this year as they say to put vinegar or urinate on the sting! The second day, I brought an inner tube so my feet weren't on the bottom and I had no problem. Seems like they were hovering on the bottom and stung people's feet. We're not that stupid to stay in the water and keep getting stung!!!

You might want to google urinating and vinegar for jelly fish stings and read some of the more well-known sites, both of those have been proven to not only be useless, but vinegar causes more venom to be released. Be careful :)

-Keith

The creatures with tenacles are Portuguese Man o Wars. If there are a lot of those they close the beach for a few hours. The sting can be brutal. If it was like a bee sting it sounds like you were stung by Jelly Fish. Not so bad and they might warn about those but usually won't close the beach. The ocean is normally full of Jelly Fish. Jelly Fish can be difficult to spot unless you have a snorkel mask. The Man o War have long tenacles and are much easier to spot.

You might want to google urinating and vinegar for jelly fish stings and read some of the more well-known sites, both of those have been proven to not only be useless, but vinegar causes more venom to be released. Be careful :)

-Keith

If you get stung at Horseshoe Bay go see the lifeguards. They are experienced and have something they put on it.

I have been at Horseshoe many times. In the double digits and the beach was closed a few hours a couple of times, I have never been stung at Horseshoe. I have seen a few people who had the "bee type" stings. Because of my experiences there over many years I think the concerns about both Jelly Fish and Portuguese Man of War are overblown.

Thanks for the input, it definitely won't scare us off the beach but we will go early and be very aware!