Upgrade fairy called

I just got to Baltimore for my cruise on the Carnival Pride this Sunday. A Celine left a voicemail and emailed an offer to a balcony on deck 8 but $302 was not in my budget so I declined. I have two other cruises coming up to think about both are balconies.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I received an email with an upgrade offer also for my September cruise on the Pride. It was for an upgrade from a deck 4 balcony to a deck 8 extended balcony. Incredibly the offer was for $40, of course I took the offer.

Nope booked online

Would someone please tell me if you only get a call from the upgrade/upsell fairy IF you book direct through Carnival?

I book through an online agent - example the cruise I am going on that Carnival quoted me - I got the same exact cabin but got $ cash back reward. But I have NEVER got an upgrade/upsell call from Carnival - ever - 13 cruises non book direct!

But I have NEVER got an upgrade/upsell call from Carnival - ever - 13 cruises non book direct!

That is because the upgrade calls seem to be a thing of the past

And the upsell calls are very rare compared to the number of people on a cruise ship.

Look at this board, pages & pages of threads but only the occasional thread reporting that someone received an upsell call

Would someone please tell me if you only get a call from the upgrade/upsell fairy IF you book direct through Carnival?

I book through an online agent - example the cruise I am going on that Carnival quoted me - I got the same exact cabin but got $ cash back reward. But I have NEVER got an upgrade/upsell call from Carnival - ever - 13 cruises non book direct!

I called her back after getting the email. I came to Baltimore early to visit my family. So I wasn't near my phone when she called I was at dinner. She said I understand it's your birthday and we have an offer to upgrade you to a higher deck.

Carnival will not talk to you directly if you use a TA.

For those of you not receiving an upsell call, Simply find something you like on their website and then call Carnival to upgrade yourself .Don't wait for them to call you it may never come.

You can definitely get an upsell if you book through a travel agent, but they just call the travel agent instead of you. Then the agent would tell you if you had an offer and ask if you would like to take it. Although I don't know how it works with online agencies, because they usually don't provide a whole lot of service after the booking.

I received an upsell email offering to move me to a higher deck for $30. I didn't care about the higher deck, but did some research on the two cabins that were available anyway. Both of them had twin beds that could not be pushed together into a queen/king. I called, just for the fun of it. The person I talked to did not even know that the beds couldn't be moved.

Carnival will not talk to you directly if you use a TA.

But, they should offer an upgrade via your TA, but I don't think they do. I have never had an offer in 38 CCL cruises, all booked through a TA.

Holland America and Princess send e-mails to the TA with the upgrade offer. We have been able to take advantage of them several times on both lines. We always discuss what the options might be and give our TA an amount we are willing to go up to on an upsell. She does not have to get in touch with us to get an answer if it falls within the parameters and if she thinks we would like the cabin location.

Once, on HAL it was $50.00 higher than what we discussed and she couldn't get hold of us, so she made an executive decision and went ahead with it. When she did get us, she offered to pay the extra $50.00 if we weren't happy with her decision. We were thrilled because it was an upgrade to a Neptune suite, which we never could have afforded otherwise. It was an option we had never discussed.

RCCL makes it clear that offers are made to Pinnacle members, then Diamond Plus, then Diamond in that order. We have never received an offer from them because we are only Diamond. Every sailing we have been on has been loaded with Diamond Plus and Pinnacle members.

I've never gotten an 'upgrade/upsell' call... would be nice but I'm not losing sleep over it. If I got one, I'd consider it and decide if it's worth it or not.

I did get a free upgrade once- in 1998! We bought 2 OV cabins for the 4 of us (daughter's university grad present) and we paid for Main deck... we got our tickets, airfare included (this was before internet when they still printed tickets for everything) and sure enough, we were on the Empress deck! Called our TA- oh forgot to tell you, you got a free upgrade to a higher level deck! This cabin was the same kind (OV) and in about the same midship spot, just higher so great, didn't really make a big difference to us, we were still side by side.