Last minute change due to partner passing away

Fantanafest

My wife recently passed away unexpectedly and a close relative has agreed to join me in her place as it was her last wish. NCL have informed me that I will need to cancel my wife's place, lose the full deposit and re-book at approx £1600!!? I am more than happy to pay any admin fee for changes as the whole cruise is paid for anyway. NCL lose nothing. This seems morally wrong and we are previous customers. Does anyone know of similar situations or if anyone has any advice. Thanks in advance

My wife recently passed away unexpectedly and a close relative has agreed to join me in her place as it was her last wish. NCL have informed me that I will need to cancel my wife's place, lose the full deposit and re-book at approx £1600!!? I am more than happy to pay any admin fee for changes as the whole cruise is paid for anyway. NCL lose nothing. This seems morally wrong and we are previous customers. Does anyone know of similar situations or if anyone has any advice. Thanks in advance

I am so sorry for your loss. Did you have any travel insurance that might pay the rebooking fee? You might also want to escalate to a supervisor to see if they can help you override the decision.

im really sorry for your loss.

if you are inside of the cancellation period, you cant change a name as it is considered a cancel and rebook. hopefully you had trip insurance which would protect your investment in this unlikely scenario.

So sorry for your loss x I would phone in again and speak to someone else , this usually gives a different answer and if not ask to speak to a supervisor . Hope everything works out for you , god bless xxx

People come on here often that were able to change ONE of the names, sometimes with a small fee.

Call in again.

Maybe UK rules are different.

I would also ask what the cost of a 3rd person being added to your cabin would cost. That might be cheaper and then the 2nd person does not show up.

Also, you mention the loss of deposit. How far out is the cruise and how much is the deposit?

Notwithstanding your truly tragic loss, NCL's published policy is to treat a name substitution close to the sailing date as a cancellation and rebooking, with the paid amount forfeited. This is one reason why cruisers buy insurance.

So sorry for your loss. I am posting to add if you don't have trip insurance ... if you paid with a credit card some of them have built in trip insurance. It is limited but I think it might cover your situation. You would have to contact the credit card company or research their policy. (Which sucks because I know that is the last thing you want to have to do right now.) Good luck and I hope your wife's wish can be fulfilled.

I am so very sorry that you recently lost your wife. I know many have responded that you should have purchased insurance. However, it's not like you are asking to cancel the cruise. It is circumstances like this that rules should bend a little. You said your cruise is already paid in full, so hopefully a supervisor will have a heart and let you bring someone else along with you. More than ever, at this time you need to have someone by your side.

Your credit card may have insurance to cover this (my brother 's did when his wife had to have an emergency surgery 3 days before their cruise and he didn't have travel insurance). However, this means the cruise would be cancelled. The cc co. wouldn't be the ones to allow you to change names.

Please let us know if you get a positive resolution.

Oh how I hope this works out for you.

So sorry for your loss, it looks like one of your concerns is the increased cost of the cruise, you will have to pay 1600 more to cancel and re-book, I don't think insurance would cover the higher cost of the new booking but maybe it does. Hope it works out.

Side note : first post for the OP. I hope he comes back and gives us an update. I say this as first time posters often post and then do not return or can not find their original post anyways. Not meant as a slam at all - just an observation.

(meanwhile... lots of us will trip all over ourselves giving advice - LOL)

Depending on when the cruise is, you can use the company contacts for NCL. Please read the link I posted below and follow the instructions there. If gives contact information for pre-cruise and post-cruise (which obviously doesn't apply) and then executive contacts. Vivian and/or her team members are generally really prompt about contact. Good luck and hope you get this worked out. So sorry for your loss.

http://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/norwegian-cruise-line-ncl/

877-436-9722 EXT. 7081
The OP is evidently booked in the UK, so it is very likely that the person at this US number will be unable to help them. This is what the terms and conditions in the UK say about replacing a guest:
If any Guest is prevented from travelling (for example, as a result of their own illness or injury or the serious illness or injury of a close relative), they may transfer their place to someone else (introduced by you) providing we are notified more than 60 days before departure (or more than 90 days for Suites and above (category S1 - Sl)). Where a transfer to a person of your choice can be made, all costs and charges incurred by us and/or incurred or imposed by any of our suppliers as a result together with an amendment fee of £35 per person transferring their place must be paid before the transfer can be made.
The implication being that if you ask for this within 60 days of sailing, it's a simple cancellation and the normal penalties apply.

I agree with everyone's advice to try again, because there is always a possibility that they will bend the rules in specific cases, even in the UK/Europe (where they tend to take the stated terms and conditions more seriously). But people's past experience with US bookings is not particularly relevant here. I would also suggest avoiding language like "morally wrong" and appeal to their compassion instead.