Princess shore excursions while waiting for flight???

skf

:confused:

Hi all princess Shorex veterans. We are leaving Emerald Princess Dec 20 in Valparaiso Chile, flying from Santiago near 10:00 PM (2150 military time); so we have already reserved an excursion to keep us busy most of the day.

Does Princess send the luggage to the airport, or do we take it with us?

Thanx, Steve & Pete

Thank you, helpful Colo & Kamloops.

(Kamloops, we are just back from Connecticut...one of your neighbours from BC drove his truck by us. I could only think what a long drive.)

Steve

We did one of those disembarkation tours from Valpo to Santiago and it worked out very well. We toured Vina del Mar, a nearby resort town, had a very pleasant lunch, including lovely Chilean wines midway thru to excursion, and enjoyed seeing the countryside between Valpo and Santiago. We and our luggage were delivered to the airport in Santiago by late afternoon.

Small detail to be aware of for flying out of Santiago .... I had a pair of scissors (with 2" blades) in my carry-on taken away and discarded during security screening in Santiago. I have traveled into and out of many places in the world with those scissors in my carry-on and this was the first place any mention of them was even made. I was really surprised by it, but I learned to now pack them in a checked bag. Just an FYI!!!

:) Flamomo...

saw your post...the tour we had booked was Valpo. Vina del Mar, & lunch at Olmu. Does this sound like the one you took?

:mad: A note to others regarding Princess tours...

We had booked this in advance complete with confirmation e-mail. Lo & behold; Princess changed it to a pre-paid excursion and cancelled our reservation without bothering to contact us. Here I was wondering what had become online of the reservations.

Steve

When I disembarked in Valparaiso (from another cruise line, not Princess) the luggage for all the different disembark tours was loaded onto a single separate truck which met us at SCL Airport. We each had to grab our bags as they were handed off said truck outside the entrance to the terminal.

My separate warning is to make sure the timing of the tour is adequate. The tour I took was scheduled to arrive at SCL at 4:30 and was open to those with flights at 8:30 or later. But the bus didn't arrive at SCL until 5:45, so thank goodness my flight was at 9:30. Important because if you are flying directly back to the USA on AA or DL metals you absolutely must be in line to check in the recommended three hours before your flight; the line for the DL flight to ATL stretched the full length of the ticket concourse. Since I was changing planes in LIM (ticketed as AA but operated by LA) I was able to talk my way into the "other South America" check in line rather than the much longer "international" line.

Also check if your airline has a maximum weight for carry on bags, as they do weigh them at SCL.

:) Flamomo...

saw your post...the tour we had booked was Valpo. Vina del Mar, & lunch at Olmu. Does this sound like the one you took?

Steve

Could be. I wish I could recall the name of the place where we had lunch. It was in a rural area, and we dined outdoors in a attractive and very laid back setting. (there was also a large indoor dining area, I suppose intended for inclement weather).

I did a Princess tour last year at the end of cruise. For you information all cases go

by truck to the airport. Mine got mixed up and went to a hotel. It was sent by taxi back

to the airport, but made a check in a bit of a mess waiting for it. I WOULD SUGGEST YOU LOOK INTO A PRIVATE TOUR AND TRANSFER, that way your cases would

be with you. There are many good companies see under South America.

The airport will be very crowed as it is holiday season, both summer and religious holidays.

Large groups of families and most flights to North America leave between 20:00 and 23:00.

Long lines everywhere, for check in, for immigration. and for security. Give yourself three hours

Edited by bcnvcanada
additional comments