Netflix on a Cruise

ddlb

Netflix added it in for the Windows 10 app at the end of April so you should be able to (as long as you download the app).

And an FYI for any Canadian Netflix users - try to download some stuff once you hit the USA. Canada and the US have different shows and movies available. It is nice to be able to watch some stuff that you can't get at home.

Thanks Patricia!

Unplug you will enjoy it more. But that is a great suggestion for those who are addicted. My enjoyment is sitting on my balcony rain or shine watching the ocean 24/7. Beats Netflix and day of the week.

Thanks Patt. But speaking just for me, not everyone will agree, but sitting out on my balcony in a hurricane with 30 foot waves does not beat watching Netflix while strapped down to my bed. :D

Edit: OK, sitting out on the balcony in a hurricane with 30 foot waves does beat watching some of the crap Mrs. Dawg watches on Netfix.:)

(Pssst she would rather be sitting out on the balcony in a hurricane with 30 foot waves than watch The Civil War or Band of Brothers on Netflix with me..... one more time!)

I think Carnival would like you out of your cabin spending money. The minimal TV entertainment is sufficient. We watch the TV when we are getting ready for dinner, or the morning news.

It's sufficient for YOU.

They get thousands in onboard spending out of me every single time I cruise. Netflix isn't changing that.

• Like 1

I love this thread. It's right up my street. Had recently travelled on Cunard QV and even though they have upgraded to brand new Samsung Smart TV's, they've deactivated ALL the media features. No USB, no Bluetooth and no interactive selections. You basically HAVE to watch what they pump out and that is it. When I mentioned it in a Cunard thread some of the diehard Cunarders lost it - some of them even suggested that they should petition to have TV's completely removed from the cabins. Guess who's never sailing on Cunard again. Princess has quite a good system. Cruised with them in March, on Majestic and was truly impressed with their media facility in the cabin. And yes, I am a bit of a TV addict. Especially if I'm bored with what's going on around me. I truly missed my TV on the Queen Victoria.

What is the point of a smart TV without any features? Weird. Just get new flat screens.

And I'm sorry about your experience with the Cunard set. I have friends who sailed with them and they referred to it as their most miserable vacation experience ever. Just way too stuffy with passengers who take themselves way too seriously.

What is the point of a smart TV without any features? Weird. Just get new flat screens.

And I'm sorry about your experience with the Cunard set. I have friends who sailed with them and they referred to it as their most miserable vacation experience ever. Just way too stuffy with passengers who take themselves way too seriously.

I assume Carnival has a bulk deal with Samsung. The features were visible on the TV's yet, disabled.

It's OK, I've learnt my lesson plus it was a last minute booking which we got a great deal. I guess they were trying to fill the cabins in a desperate bid.

The Cunard set truly is an awfully pretentious yawn-fest.

Edited by SonofTertius

I was actually unaware that downloading from Netflix was possible, this was a useful thread!

I also like to pre-download podcasts and audiobooks for the drive to and from the cruise port. It's less important now that I have an unlimited data plan, but you never know when you're going to run into a zone where you don't have service.

I've been using Netflix for 18 years and I had NO idea you could download content, either. I'm gonna find some stuff I've been putting off watching and download it. I have a feeling I won't like much of Carnival TV so I'll have this to fall asleep to. YAY!

Titanic (with Clifton Webb) 1953 - Titanic (with Kate Winslet) 1997 and who can forget The Poseidon Adventure (with Shelly Winters) 1972!

Good response, but my movie taste run quite different from that

I wonder which cruise line will be first to have Netflix, Hulu, YouTube etc streaming on their tvs. Hotels are already doing it.

I would love access to Netflix on a smart tv in my room. I watch TV before I fall asleep, while I'm getting dressed, and sometimes just to relax. I'd love this addition.

It will be sold as an excursion, per cabin, much like FTTF, but it will require everyone in the cabin to also purchasing Cheers so that they will be sufficiently mellow when it starts buffering.

• Haha 1

• 1 year later...

My kids figured this out and have been doing it for years for flights and cruises. So yes it has worked in the past.

Before I get some haters they both read a lot (well DS more than DD)but neither like kindles very much and books get heavy we have a 3 book max on any trip. That's maybe 2.5 or 3 days for DS. Even with everything on the ship.

As info, if you don't want to spend the big bucks on internet, the tv's have usb and hdmi's accessible on the back and if you take a universal remote, they will play fine. There is also another 110V american style outlet. Though you may need a right angle flat plug to use it. Note this is on the vista / horizon. On the magic I was able to use hdmi, but did not try usb directly.

On 7/24/2017 at 3:00 PM, ddlb said:

Netflix on a Cruise

I like to watch a tv program/movie now and then on a cruise when I need a break from all the festivities or just to unwind before bedtime. I have not been impressed with the TV programs/movies available but do enjoy many of the helpful features Carnival provides via TV.

If you have a Netflix account and an iPad/iPhone or computer with Win 10 you can download (at home) using your wifi some programs that will be available when you cruise (some must be viewed within 48 hours or up to a month). I am also told there is no limit (except for your memory limits) but I think 2 or 3 will suffice for me. You do have to install an app first. You will not be using the internet but you must be signed in to your account. As long as you haven't logged off your account you are good to go. I asked that question.

Has anyone done this? Again - I do this to unwind - believe me I will get my monies worth doing everything I want to on my upcoming cruise!

Yes, I have done this.  I downloaded some Netflix SITCOM shows to watch on the ship while waiting for others in my group. I think I only watched one, though.  I do it for plane trips a lot.  

3 minutes ago, kmetz said:

Everyone cruises differently. 

And I don’t give a darn how you cruise. I am interested in why you read and respond to a thread that isn’t “your way of cruising.” Why not move on to a thread where you can be helpful?