Netflix on a Cruise

ddlb

Royal Caribbean already offers a stream plan that works with Netflix and no need for an 800 mile cable. They actually advertise that you can watch Netflix right on the Voom page. So no need to wait and see who is first, it already exists on the entire Royal fleet.

So yes, OP, you can use Netflix on a ship, and if that's something very important to you - then consider Royal Caribbean.

voom.png

LOL of course Royal was first. I didn't realize Voom was capable of all of this. Very cool.

LOL of course Royal was first. I didn't realize Voom was capable of all of this. Very cool.

It is kind of a shame that Royal seems to be the only line that is truly innovating. Could you imagine where cruising would be now if Carnival had put effort into truly innovative ships? I saw a post recently about how a true mega ship with a ton of innovation was quite far along and Carnival put a stop to it.

It is kind of a shame that Royal seems to be the only line that is truly innovating. Could you imagine where cruising would be now if Carnival had put effort into truly innovative ships? I saw a post recently about how a true mega ship with a ton of innovation was quite far along and Carnival put a stop to it.

Yes and that design was used for the Oasis class sips for Royal. Same designer. It's a shame that could have set them far ahead of anyone else.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes and that design was used for the Oasis class sips for Royal. Same designer. It's a shame that could have set them far ahead of anyone else.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Maybe not ahead, but comparable and more importantly, Carnivals flavor of it. Such great options that could have been! Carnival HAS to be considering something that they aren't telling us about, even beyond the LNG ships. Royal just ordered a 5th Oasis class, it's a huge success, Carnival is paying attention. I just can't wait for some other lines to come out with their versions. Should be awesome times for cruisers indeed.

For those replying to the OP about streaming, that's not what they're talking about. They download the movies/TV shows to their device first. No internet/streaming required.

but, Netflix actually has a download service, not sure if amazon has the same service. How do you download a movie? and... isn't it illegal?
As long as you buy the movie or pay for the annual subscription service (Amazon Prime in this case) it's not illegal to download the movie as long as it's for personal use. That's the key, it has to be for personal use.
  • Like 1

OK, you can download from Netfix to an Ipad and I know I can download to an Android phone, but does it work with Windows 10? I have a 14" laptop I travel with that would be better to watch shows on vs. my 6" phone.

Iknow Netflix has downloads, didn't know Amazon had a download service

Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that Amazon Prime had downloads to watch offline ahead of Netflix. I think Amazon was the first. But you can't download everything available on either.

Since my IPad is usually pretty full, I specifically bought a $49 Kindle Fire for my media downloads, since I can expand the memory with a micro SD card.

Have been streaming college football on Princess for years. Kinda hard to download those before the cruise(a live game).
Except the OP isn't referring to live sporting events. Their question/comment revolved entirely around downloadable content and had nothing to do with streaming. They don't want to do that.

I wonder which cruise line will be first to have Netflix, Hulu, YouTube etc streaming on their tvs. Hotels are already doing it.

I would love access to Netflix on a smart tv in my room. I watch TV before I fall asleep, while I'm getting dressed, and sometimes just to relax. I'd love this addition.

I think Carnival would like you out of your cabin spending money. The minimal TV entertainment is sufficient. We watch the TV when we are getting ready for dinner, or the morning news.

Unplug you will enjoy it more. But that is a great suggestion for those who are addicted. My enjoyment is sitting on my balcony rain or shine watching the ocean 24/7. Beats Netflix and day of the week.

No I really won't. But happy for you if you do.

Netflix on a Cruise

I like to watch a tv program/movie now and then on a cruise when I need a break from all the festivities or just to unwind before bedtime. I have not been impressed with the TV programs/movies available but do enjoy many of the helpful features Carnival provides via TV.

If you have a Netflix account and an iPad/iPhone or computer with Win 10 you can download (at home) using your wifi some programs that will be available when you cruise (some must be viewed within 48 hours or up to a month). I am also told there is no limit (except for your memory limits) but I think 2 or 3 will suffice for me. You do have to install an app first. You will not be using the internet but you must be signed in to your account. As long as you haven't logged off your account you are good to go. I asked that question.

Has anyone done this? Again - I do this to unwind - believe me I will get my monies worth doing everything I want to on my upcoming cruise!

Yes I have done it with both Netflix and Xfinity. I actually put some on my Ipad and a different set on my Phone just in case. Last cruise we had a 2.5 hour bus trip (each way) to Mayan Ruins. Watched 5 episodes of Stranger Things on the bus. Consider downloading them in the hotel the night before you set sail. Have fun. Let me know if you see something on Netflix that is good cruise viewing.

unplug you will enjoy it more. But that is a great suggestion for those who are addicted. My enjoyment is sitting on my balcony rain or shine watching the ocean 24/7. Beats netflix and day of the week.
truth!

I have downloaded from netflix when I traveled before and it works great.

For those who have not had experience with this, if you go to the drop down menu (top left corner of the app), choose available for download and it will show you all of the shows/movies that are available. That's a lot faster and less frustrating than looking through and finding the one you want just to discover it is not an option.

I know streaming on the ship does not work well, has anyone tried to download a movie/show while on the ship and then watched? I'm not sure if downloading then watching has the same issue as live streaming.

OK, you can download from Netfix to an Ipad and I know I can download to an Android phone, but does it work with Windows 10? I have a 14" laptop I travel with that would be better to watch shows on vs. my 6" phone.

Netflix added it in for the Windows 10 app at the end of April so you should be able to (as long as you download the app).

And an FYI for any Canadian Netflix users - try to download some stuff once you hit the USA. Canada and the US have different shows and movies available. It is nice to be able to watch some stuff that you can't get at home.

I know streaming on the ship does not work well, has anyone tried to download a movie/show while on the ship and then watched? I'm not sure if downloading then watching has the same issue as live streaming.
I can't speak from experience since I've never used the Premium internet plan, but I've seen several others who have reported that the best speeds they were able to get with Premium was around 3 Mbps. I wouldn't want to waste the time it would take to download a movie at those speeds. Not to mention the wifi quality varies depending on how much bandwidth is being used throughout the day/night. I think you're much better off doing it at home, or a hotel if it comes to that.

yes, it works great. I usually download a series I'm watching and get about 10 episodes. Keeps me busy on the plane as well as any downtime I may have where the carnival TV is just lame. lol I can watch the ocean for about 20 minutes before I get bored....

Yes I have done it with both Netflix and Xfinity. I actually put some on my Ipad and a different set on my Phone just in case. Last cruise we had a 2.5 hour bus trip (each way) to Mayan Ruins. Watched 5 episodes of Stranger Things on the bus. Consider downloading them in the hotel the night before you set sail. Have fun. Let me know if you see something on Netflix that is good cruise viewing.

Titanic (with Clifton Webb) 1953 - Titanic (with Kate Winslet) 1997 and who can forget The Poseidon Adventure (with Shelly Winters) 1972!

I can't speak from experience since I've never used the Premium internet plan, but I've seen several others who have reported that the best speeds they were able to get with Premium was around 3 Mbps. I wouldn't want to waste the time it would take to download a movie at those speeds. Not to mention the wifi quality varies depending on how much bandwidth is being used throughout the day/night. I think you're much better off doing it at home, or a hotel if it comes to that.
OP wasn't talking about streaming?

Sent from my VK700 using Tapatalk

I was actually unaware that downloading from Netflix was possible, this was a useful thread!

I also like to pre-download podcasts and audiobooks for the drive to and from the cruise port. It's less important now that I have an unlimited data plan, but you never know when you're going to run into a zone where you don't have service.

Titanic (with Clifton Webb) 1953 - Titanic (with Kate Winslet) 1997 and who can forget The Poseidon Adventure (with Shelly Winters) 1972!
The 2006 remake, Poseidon, wasn't terrible, but it'll never be the original.

OP wasn't talking about streaming?

Is this some kind of "gotcha" because I told you the OP wasn't talking about streaming?? :confused: For one, I wasn't replying to the OP with that comment. I was addressing a separate question. Most importantly, the person I was replying to wasn't talking about streaming either. They were talking about downloading the content using the ship's wifi.

I love this thread. It's right up my street. Had recently travelled on Cunard QV and even though they have upgraded to brand new Samsung Smart TV's, they've deactivated ALL the media features. No USB, no Bluetooth and no interactive selections. You basically HAVE to watch what they pump out and that is it. When I mentioned it in a Cunard thread some of the diehard Cunarders lost it - some of them even suggested that they should petition to have TV's completely removed from the cabins. Guess who's never sailing on Cunard again. Princess has quite a good system. Cruised with them in March, on Majestic and was truly impressed with their media facility in the cabin. And yes, I am a bit of a TV addict. Especially if I'm bored with what's going on around me. I truly missed my TV on the Queen Victoria.