Would You Ever Consider Working on a Carnival Cruise Ship?

A good friend of ours worked as a musician for 10+ years on Carnival. He was single...and it suited him at the time. Got to see most of the world, playing music (which is his life) and didn't have many expenses (and didn't get paid tons, either...bear that in mind!)...but it worked for him.

Not unless it was a flag officer job. 6 month contracts no days off and at the least little thing passengers complaining about tipping. These are hard working people and do a great job.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You go up higher on the scale, and the entitlement grows exponentially....Here is the dead giveaway when people want only what they want, not an equitable compromise....you ready...."I want to speak to your supervisor". When you hear that, the person complaining only wants what THEY want, they are not concerned with being fair

Nailed it!

NCL Sunward 1974

NCL Starward 1978

Costa Daphne 1982

Carnival Triumph 2001

Carnival Conquests 2005

Carnival Magic 2014

Not unless it was a flag officer job. 6 month contracts no days off and at the least little thing passengers complaining about tipping. These are hard working people and do a great job.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sure, it's 6 months without a day off technically. However, they do get time off during the day (entertainment staff at least) and get to hang out around the different ports. Relaxing on the beach for a few hours during the day between shifts, not having to cook for yourself, etc sounds better to me than coming home after a long day at a customer service oriented job and watching tv and doing household chores.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I dunno. It requires someone with boundless energy. That rules me out. But for someone with stamina, charisma, and a good sense of humor I suppose it could be a fun job.

I once wrote 13 episodes of a TV show that I attempted without success to sell to the networks .

Not sure what "flag officer jobs" there are on cruise ships, since a "flag officer" is by definition an admiral, and I haven't seen any of those in any merchant marine anywhere in the world.

There is a world of difference between an entertainer or headliner who has been granted "passenger" status and the other 99% of the crew. While some crew who work evenings or nights may be able to go ashore in ports, or stewards who can get a couple of hours between morning cleaning and evening turndown, those like the deck and engine departments, and others who are "day workers" work from 6am to 6pm everyday, so shore time is non-existent. And even those who could go ashore due to their work schedule, might be assigned to a fire team, and at least two fire teams must be onboard the ship at all times, so these folks are restricted to the ship for a 24 hour period, twice a week.

And many contracts are for 10 months.

One of my good friends daughters is working onboard a Disney ship as a dancer and is having the time of her life. Would I? Absolutely, if I was 30 yesrs younger!!! Her mom, dadand brother recently sailed with her and said she's living a dream. So happy you her.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Forums mobile app

Pretty sure I would go crazy and/or get fired within 48 hours. Maybe I could join the medical personnel, once I have the credentials (future goals), but I would never last as a waiter, steward, etc. Those folks are superheros.:)

Not sure what "flag officer jobs" there are on cruise ships, since a "flag officer" is by definition an admiral, and I haven't seen any of those in any merchant marine anywhere in the world.

I would like to have the NEW position of Admiral. :D

On our first cruise a few years ago, once I saw Camp Carnival, I wished I could go back in time after my first college experience where I got a degree in early childhood education and go work on a cruise ship with the kids instead of opening mail in the file room of a large insurance company where we were told we weren't being paid to think. It would have been perfect for 20 year old me, with no home or boyfriend or bills or even very many physical possessions. To see some of the world, even if only from the deck of the ship at times, would have been amazing.