Amsterdam Food Ideas

We are staying at the Amsterdam Hilton for 4 nights pre-cruise. It appears to be in the southern part of the city. I am trying to get some resources for restaurants near that hotel, or near the Rijksmuseum/Van Gogh (about a 15 minute walk). It appears from the hotel website that we will be able to walk to tram 2 or tram 5. Any suggestions would be appreciated, We are from the US and have never been to Amsterdam. We are foodies and have had 2 great food tour experiences in Barcelona and Amsterdam. I definitely want to try Indonesian food once while we are there. Any suggestions for good food/good value in the aras mentioned, or suggestions for a great food tour, would be appreciated-thanks!

When I think of eating in Amsterdam two things come to mind. Rijsttafel, which is really an Indonesian import, but is amazing in quite a few restaurants of Amsterdam. And the other are simply French Fries,,,which you can from shops along most of the main streets... and is wonderful eaten with Aioli which is available at all the fry stands.

Hank

We just went on the Eating Amsterdam Jordaan Food and Canal Tour today and it was really great!

Sent from my STV100-2 using Tapatalk

Wow-thank you-had not heard about that-we could kill 2 birds with one stone-boat tour (also on my list) and food!

Hilton is a bit out of the way indeed. (Doubletree would have been a more central location). As Hank mentions Indonesian food is part of the dutch history, you will find some nice places serving rijsttafel. Various excellent dishes to choose from.

Well known are Sama Sebo, not too far from Museumplein. More central on Rembrandtsplein is Indrapura, Kantjil en de tijger on Spuistraat, to name just a few.

Restaurant Rijks e.g. at the museum offers interrnational cuisine.

Of course Amsterdam offers hundreds of excellent restaurants, depending on what you want to eat, location,price etc.

This site might be of any help: https://www.thefork.com/search-refine/amsterdam

Check out Viator's Amsterdam tours. Many different ones, including food and wine, in different cities. We have used all over, not AMS tho...content and guides are very good, and no problem finding English language tours.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Check out Viator's Amsterdam tours. Many different ones, including food and wine, in different cities. We have used all over, not AMS tho...content and guides are very good, and no problem finding English language tours.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you have it available, go on YouTube. There are a bunch of good videos on various subjects JUST about Amsterdam alone!!!

When I think of eating in Amsterdam two things come to mind. Rijsttafel, which is really an Indonesian import, but is amazing in quite a few restaurants of Amsterdam. And the other are simply French Fries,,,which you can from shops along most of the main streets... and is wonderful eaten with Aioli which is available at all the fry stands.

Hank

Had THE best fries I have ever eaten at Brassiere Keyser across from the Concertgebouw

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums

We stayed near the Anne Frank house and had our pancakes at the Pancake Bakery on the Prinzgracht - so good!

We also did the Amsterdam Jewel dinner cruise. It was wonderful. Lovely vintage canal boat, friendly crew and delicious food. All and all a memorable evening cruising the canals while we enjoyed dinner.

We stayed near the Anne Frank house and had our pancakes at the Pancake Bakery on the Prinzgracht - so good!

We also did the Amsterdam Jewel dinner cruise. It was wonderful. Lovely vintage canal boat, friendly crew and delicious food. All and all a memorable evening cruising the canals while we enjoyed dinner.

Is the Pancake Bakery close to the Anne Frank House? We have tickets to visit there and need to find a place for lunch nearby.

Is the Pancake Bakery close to the Anne Frank House? We have tickets to visit there and need to find a place for lunch nearby.

Yes. It's on the same canal - Prinzgracht and up a couple of blocks. About a 5-10 minute walk depending on bicycle traffic [emoji16]. The food was fantastic. I had a hard time choosing. Best orange juice ever. They have a machine and squeeze it right there.

We had two wonderful dinners in Amsterdam.

De Reiger - best lamb ever! In Jordan

Restaurant Blauw for reistaffel (Indonesian)

Just reserved Blaus-thanks! Will check out De Rieger if we can-we love lamb

• 1 month later...

No one has mentioned Van Stapele - they make just a single item: a chocolate cookie. It's insanely popular because it's insanely good. It's in the centre, just off of Spui (one of the main squares). If you go there you will be directly across from Frietsteeg, one of the best french fry places in the City.

And you'll be a two minute walk from Vlaminckx Frites - most often referred to as the very best frites in the city (though in all likelihood, there's not much to choose between the two).