Solar eclipse 8/21

We'll be on the Summit during the solar eclipse. This may sound like a dumb question but does anyone who sailed her before know about how far south we will be by Monday afternoon? The most complete coverage of the sun is supposed to be by Charleston. TIA.

Sent from my XT1585 using Forums mobile app

Don't think there is anyway to tell, it all depends on the Captain and conditions that day. What may work to your benefit is that going to Bermuda you have plenty of time so the Captain can adjust things as he/she sees fit. What I mean by this is that it used to take only a day and a half to get to Bermuda. Now, they take two and a half days to get there for a variety of reasons so the Captain can play with the route a bit if they wish to.

I tried to post a link to cruise ship tracker but it didn't work. If you google "cruise ship tracker" you should find the link. If you check it for Summit's position tomorrow it should give you a good indication where it will be on the 21st of August.

Edited by CHEZMARYLOU
add link

We were close to a full eclipse on TA cruise.. I suggest you order those special glasses so you can look at it . Very few had them on our trip. They are quite cheap on Amazon and you get several pairs.. just cardboard with the proper visual protection lenses. Take extra and you will quickly have new best friends on the cruise. We were happily recipients of extras..lol

We were close to a full eclipse on TA cruise.. I suggest you order those special glasses so you can look at it . Very few had them on our trip. They are quite cheap on Amazon and you get several pairs.. just cardboard with the proper visual protection lenses. Take extra and you will quickly have new best friends on the cruise. We were happily recipients of extras..lol

We already have them!

We are on the same cruise and have sailed this route many times. You should note that the Summit goes slowly down to Bermuda taking 2.5 days to get there but only 1.5 days to come back to Bayonne. With departure on August 20, we probably will be no where near Bermuda.

We are on the same cruise and have sailed this route many times. You should note that the Summit goes slowly down to Bermuda taking 2.5 days to get there but only 1.5 days to come back to Bayonne. With departure on August 20, we probably will be no where near Bermuda.

I was just curious as to how far south of Bayonne we would be. The further south, the better.

You'll get better solar eclipse viewing, greater obscuration, if the captain is able to deviate from the normal course. Going closer to land and further south will increase obscuration. Normal course is basically diagonal course from NY to Bermuda. Changing the course to an L, and increasing speed to get further south, will improve eclipse experience. Not sure if that would justify increase fuel consumption, not how much extra fuel would be burned

You'll get better solar eclipse viewing, greater obscuration, if the captain is able to deviate from the normal course. Going closer to land and further south will increase obscuration. Normal course is basically diagonal course from NY to Bermuda. Changing the course to an L, and increasing speed to get further south, will improve eclipse experience. Not sure if that would justify increase fuel consumption, not how much extra fuel would be burned

That's what I'm hoping for!