Ultimate beverage plan and port taxes

Tanne04

I read somewhere that while in port you have a pay a tax on each of your drinks even if you have the ultimate beverage plan. Is this true and if so, how much is the tax?

Actually it all depends on which ports/region you are talking about. If you are referring to U.S. home ports then yes, you pay tax.

I read somewhere that while in port you have a pay a tax on each of your drinks even if you have the ultimate beverage plan. Is this true and if so, how much is the tax?

You pay US sales tax at many embarkation ports (only) as required by local laws (not the cruise line). The tax depends on the state you are sailing out of. And the tax is charged on the price of the drinks you order.

You read comments like "I am not going to order a drink until I am in international water because I don't want to pay Florida sales tax". I bet you that that person's first stop once on the ship is a bar ordering a drink!

You see the same thing on disembarkation day. If you stop and purchase that last minute photo in the photo shop, you'll pay sales tax on that too.

It amounts to about 7%-9% of the price of the drink, so about 70-90 cents on a $10 drink... This applies to the embarkation port only in most circumstances.

Seattle has 10% tax plus liquor tax on drinks served.

Sailed out of Seattle last month and taxes on our drinks were about $1.20. As was mentioned, it's the only time we were given a slip to sign.

We are sailing out of Los Angeles, so I know there is a tax. If we wait to get the soda pkg until we board (we want to use OBC) will the entire package be taxed?

On Escape last Oct. out of Miami we were onboard by noon and started enjoying UBP right away.

That's when Escape didn't leave until 7:00 p.m. and our tax on drinks was around $12.00 total for DW and I.