Military obc and NHS 5% discount

Balaena

I understand that from tomorrow 1st August there will be a change to the Military obc and NHS 5% discount. The Military obc is being reduce and the NHS discount will cease and replaced with obc. Neither will be combinable with obc obtained when booking a cruise on board.

Bal

Where did you read this information? I had looked on their website, and it still has the same info as before. Nothing says the amounts of military OBC is changing, I'm interested as I wanted to see what the new amounts are, as I have a cruise booked.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Where did you read this information? I had looked on their website, and it still has the same info as before. Nothing says the amounts of military OBC is changing, I'm interested as I wanted to see what the new amounts are, as I have a cruise booked.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Get it on your booking TODAY otherwise you'll miss out. I don't know how much the reduction is but there is going to be one.

the thread title seems to refer to two different things, the extra OBC awarded to military personnel and the 5% discount available to NHS (and other) staff via a Blue Light Card. Having logged into the Blue Light Card website the entry for P&O clearly states that there is no expiration date for the 5% discount so I think it very unlikely that this is about to end.

As regards the military OBC I'm afraid I have no knowledge of this but I expect we will know more tomorrow....

The originator of this thread in both original message, and after being asked specifically to do so, has not identified the source of this alleged change. It is very hard at this time to give credibility to the allegation.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We recently sailed on Britannia and because we booked a late Saver my OH wasn't eligible for his military OBC. P and O obviously discriminate against those who choose to defend our country.

Or you could say they discriminate against those with no connection to the military who do not qualify for such a discount, however much or little it is.

There are some very bitter and disagreeable people on these forums..

I guess you are referring to me.

I have nothing to be bitter about but I am prepared to disagree with those whose opinions I do not share. If that makes me disagreeable then so be it. I believe that is what discussion forums are all about. I strongly suspect that 'those who choose to defend our country' are keen to defend our freedom to hold an opinion that not everybody shares and reasonably express it in an online forum and elsewhere.

Personally I think a lieutenant in the RN is no more deserving of discounted fares than for example doctors, nurses, teachers, retail assistants or care workers. All perform a valuable service from which our nation benefits.

These are difficult conversations, but I have to agree with Pete.

I work in the private sector, but I also have three voluntary roles with the police, social services (15 years) and I'm Chairperson and tireless fundraiser for my local community association. I'm not asking for special treatment, but should what I pay really subsidise someone who has chosen a different profession? Not wanting to start any massive disagreements but such subsidies exist in other areas too and I'm not sure it's fair.

Having said this I am truly appreciative of military service, and I know that the sacrifices made go beyond what most people understand, but I don't think special discounts should exist across all public services - for me it feels like additional tax.

I appreciate that my view may not align to the view of recipients of such discounts, but it's just how I feel.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Florry

Just last week I had 75 pounds military obc applied to our 18 and 16 day B2B cruises next year on Adonia. I booked through P&O Australia as we cannot book direct with P&O UK. I think the obc has been reduced already as $250 is the norm on other other Carnival brand cruise lines. $250 whether AUD or USD is not 75 GBP.

I served with both the British and Australian Armies, albeit many years ago, so just sent in a copy of my British Army red discharge book and certificate of service for Australian Army.

I won't debate the pros and cons of military obc, but it all started with the CEO of Carnival, forget his name, Vietnam Veteran, giving it as a 'thanks for service' which the Americans are big on, good on them.:cool:

The originator of this thread in both original message, and after being asked specifically to do so, has not identified the source of this alleged change. It is very hard at this time to give credibility to the allegation.

Perhaps you will apologise now!! I said when it was happening and it has.

Bal

This is disappointing. The NHS discount was a real benefit and was combinable with other discounts such as the past passenger discount so it made a big difference to the fare. Prices seem to be creeping up in general so looks like cruising is going to get more expensive for us! I am sure it won't stop us booking though, might just have to settle for a lower grade of cabin..:loudcry:

I have my suspicions that this is just the start of many changes. I think that the Loyalty Club changes when finally announced will include removing any points allocation for everything but select fares as well.

Fear not Florry, most public sector workers don't get any kind of discounts (or pay rises, or bonuses or.....). 😕

Apologise for what! You were asked politely for the source of the story to give it credibility........

I guess unlike you I don't stay glued to the forum with bated breath, I just pop in and out now and again to see what's going on.

Bal

We recently sailed on Britannia and because we booked a late Saver my OH wasn't eligible for his military OBC. P and O obviously discriminate against those who choose to defend our country.

Why is it discriminating against him if you had booked a select or early saver you would have got the OBC? My husband did 22 years in the army and we are happy to accept that if we book a much cheaper late saver we forfeit the OBC

I have my suspicions that this is just the start of many changes. I think that the Loyalty Club changes when finally announced will include removing any points allocation for everything but select fares as well.

Fear not Florry, most public sector workers don't get any kind of discounts (or pay rises, or bonuses or.....). [emoji53]

I don't think anyone has seen much in the way of pay rises and bonuses the last 7 years [emoji31]never mind the loss of DB pensions, life is going to be hard for pensioners in the future, they will have less disposable income (especially with SPA being put back) - I'm sure P&O are factoring that into their strategy, as older people of the future may be more of a minority on cruise holidays.

I think you are absolutely right about the loyalty changes. When you think about it they have been drip-feeding changes slowly for a while such as charging for room service and adding a mini bar - stealth! This may just be a way of keeping the base cost down then charging for 'extras' but it does also lend itself to potentially changing the benefits.

So for example, higher cabin grades and tiers may end up with a free mini bar set up like Princess offer, suites already get free room service.

There is another thread about this but I was told that loyalty points will be aligned to type of cabin as well as duration of the cruise.

Time will tell!

I don't think anyone has seen much in the way of pay rises and bonuses the last 7 years [emoji31]never mind the loss of DB pensions, life is going to be hard for pensioners in the future, they will have less disposable income (especially with SPA being put back) - I'm sure P&O are factoring that into their strategy, as older people of the future may be more of a minority on cruise holidays.

I think you are absolutely right about the loyalty changes. When you think about it they have been drip-feeding changes slowly for a while such as charging for room service and adding a mini bar - stealth! This may just be a way of keeping the base cost down then charging for 'extras' but it does also lend itself to potentially changing the benefits.

So for example, higher cabin grades and tiers may end up with a free mini bar set up like Princess offer, suites already get free room service.

There is another thread about this but I was told that loyalty points will be aligned to type of cabin as well as duration of the cruise.

Time will tell!

The initial points you make about potentially reduced pensioner income are spot on and that being the case companies should be trying even harder to retain customers. P&O seem to be trying to cheese them off with all the recent changes.

Celebrity have the system you describe with points for both cabin type and duration as well, thats how we got to the top tier so quickly there (and are still only on Med on p&o) as we had suites and concierge or Aqua class cabins. The issue for P&O with that kind of system is that they are trying to stop too many people getting into top tiers quickly, not help them to get there.

Yes indeed time will tell.