The Super Liners twilight of an era, National Geographic Society film from 1979

Cruise Liner Fan

In 1979 the National Geographic Society did a film about the history of the Super Liners. It was filmed aboard the QE2 and there were comments heard in the film that the QE2 will probably be the end of the line or the last Transatlantic Liner ever to be built. I guess that in 1979 there were no opinions that maybe in the very early 21st Century another Transatlantic Liner would be built that turned out to be the QM2. Here is the youtube link to the Super Liners twilight of an era film

Any opinions on this film? Regards,Jerry

The film is available on Amazon (DVD). I own a copy and think it is a pretty good documentary, especially since it was filmed on the QE2.

I think at that time future liners were thought to be out of the question because jet travel essentially made them obsolete. A liner is built for speed and the ability to handle rough seas thus maintaining schedule regardless of conditions. A true liner is much more expensive to build than a cruise ship and the goal of ship operators is to make money.

Thanks for sharing, never heard of this before.

Little did these people know a bigger, "better" ship was on their heels.

Is the better ship you are referring to the QM2? If you are I have to agree with you that the QM2 is a better ship than the QE2. I also know that some people disagree with this opinion but having differences in opinion is a good thing. The QM2 did enter service 25 years after 1979.

Thank you for the link to this movie. It looks like that only people from US are allowed to watch. I was not able to watch through my standard German account. Also a proxy from England does not work. With an US-proxy there was no problem watching the movie.

Frank

Is the better ship you are referring to the QM2? If you are I have to agree with you that the QM2 is a better ship than the QE2. I also know that some people disagree with this opinion but having differences in opinion is a good thing. The QM2 did enter service 25 years after 1979.

QM2 indeed. We haven't sailed her yet, but will next May. Can't hardly wait.

In 1979 the National Geographic Society did a film about the history of the Super Liners. It was filmed aboard the QE2 and there were comments heard in the film that the QE2 will probably be the end of the line or the last Transatlantic Liner ever to be built. I guess that in 1979 there were no opinions that maybe in the very early 21st Century another Transatlantic Liner would be built that turned out to be the QM2. Here is the youtube link to the Super Liners twilight of an era film
Any opinions on this film? Regards,Jerry

Really enjoyed it.