Child Air Lifted from the Breeze Overnight

Tenderpaw

In looking at the first article, I found it interesting that there was a picture taken of the Helicopter. Every time I have been on a ship where a helicopter was going to lift someone off the ship at night, there were massive announcements made that passengers should not take pictures of the helicopter using a flash. It was dangerous for the pilot's vision when flying at night. But there's the picture that looks like it was taken from a cabin balcony.

In looking at the first article, I found it interesting that there was a picture taken of the Helicopter. Every time I have been on a ship where a helicopter was going to lift someone off the ship at night, there were massive announcements made that passengers should not take pictures of the helicopter using a flash. It was dangerous for the pilot's vision when flying at night. But there's the picture that looks like it was taken from a cabin balcony.

Since when does anybody listen or use common sense on vacation? We actually seen airlifts a few times while cruising and never took pictures. Didn't want to take any pics, its sad to see someone get air-lifted out.

Hope all goes well for the kid and his family.

I agree that it's easy to blame parents or grandparents, but anyone who has been a parent knows that accidents can happen in a blink of an eye.

From the second article, it sounds like the kid is stable. That's hopeful news.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Making judgements of any kind before all the facts are known is risky to the truth. Garbage in, garbage out is an old saying from way back when punch cards were used to program room sized computers, but the saying is still apllicable today.

I hope the kid and the family recover from this sudden tragedy.

I am 5'5" and no little bit of a thing. Those doors are hard for me to open. Not to mention there is the lock at the top that would be impossible for a 5 year old to reach. I was fearful of my grandkids being on my balcony. That's why I was always with them and holding onto them. I told them never to climb on the balcony furniture or the railings - they also knew to not even think of opening that door.

When my so was 3 he dislocated his arm from his shoulder. He was being held by the hand of his grandmother when he decided to suddenly drop to the ground. His grandmother who raised 4 children of her own was caught totally by surprise that she didn't have a chance to let go. Then again had she let go he may have ran off into the street. Unfortunately no matter how careful you are sometimes things just happen. The grandmother of this child must be distraught and she probably will never forgive herself.

I understand why the 'blame the parents' reflex exists, but it's also not possible to childproof the whole world. Kids by nature have poor judgement and accidents happen. Parents cannot be awake 24 hours a day.

I'm just happy that someone didn't comment that the parents were probably in the bar drinking up a storm.

You can take pictures without using the flash. (Of course, most people leave it on auto and don't think to turn the flash off).

On FB, someone from ship posted that it was a grandma and that the young child got away from her faster than she could move.

It's interesting, in the news article in the link the Op put, I would assume the balcony is shown in the photo during the anchor talking. Can't tell if the chair is near the balcony, but even still that would be a pretty nimble kid to get over the balcony that quickly. Just hope the kid ends up fine.

It was a 3 year old and I can absolutely see how it could happen easily (Hence why my husband and I say we wouldn't take our 3 year old grandson on a cruise for a few more years.....we took him when he was 9 months and it was a blast and we will wait til he is more mature and will do it again!). A 3 year old is fast and fearless. On our last cruise, we commented on how easily a child of 3 could climb/fall/jump from the balcony. Scary. Praying for the child and the grandma who took him.

Fact is - we don't know any facts. Let's not make any judgments and just wish the family well. I wouldn't want this to happen to anyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A lot of people on CC dont need facts before making judgement. I hope none of them ever serve on a jury :o

A lot of people on CC dont need facts before making judgement. I hope none of them ever serve on a jury :o

There are several on here that I hope don't get on a jury even after they have the facts. The bigger problem is that a lot of these "I don't need no facts" or "I don't care if my facts are wrong" people vote.