Stockholm airport to embarkation port

lyraedro

Yes, we walked to Gamla Stan and did a self guided walking tour I compiled from guidebooks.

The wonderful Vasa Museum wasn't walking dustance.

Stockholm deserves a couple of days. I'd stay in town and take the train to the airport.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

I think I might be the only one in the world who has no interest in seeing an old Viking ship.

am I crazy??

I think I might be the only one in the world who has no interest in seeing an old Viking ship.

am I crazy??

“Old Viking ship” aside, there is so much to see and do in wonderful Stockholm that you should definitely stay for a couple of days (if not 3 days/2 nights). After researching Stockholm, only you can decide what is of interest to you but IMO there is plenty for everyone (including a very interesting and historical “old Viking ship” :D)

Stockholm is one of my most favorite destinations in the entire world.

JMO

“Old Viking ship” aside, there is so much to see and do in wonderful Stockholm that you should definitely stay for a couple of days (if not 3 days/2 nights). After researching Stockholm, only you can decide what is of interest to you but IMO there is plenty for everyone (including a very interesting and historical “old Viking ship” :D)

Stockholm is one of my most favorite destinations in the entire world.

JMO

haha, ok.... my mom thinks it looks interesting so we'll see it.

and we will for sure stay overnight.

just trying to figure out if we should get a hotel near the airport and then figure out what to do with our luggage all day or get a hotel near all the activity and take a train to the airport the next morning before our flight.

Absolutely no question about it - get a hotel in the middle of action and then take the train to the airport when you need to. That way you - or your mom - can get back to the hotel for a brief rest during the day, if desired.

Don’t miss a guided tour of the City Hall - a stunning building and the home to the Nobel dinners.

am I crazy??

I would say you are, but as was just said -- you have a right to your opinion! Our visit to the museum years ago was a highlight of our several days in Stockholm.

Mura

am I crazy??

Yes. You might actually enjoy the Vasa Museum as it does not contain anything Viking, much less a Viking ship for starters. It does contain the world's only preserved warship from the 17 century, about 600 years after the Viking age.

Yes. You might actually enjoy the Vasa Museum as it does not contain anything Viking, much less a Viking ship for starters. It does contain the world's only preserved warship from the 17 century, about 600 years after the Viking age.

hmmmm, thanks for the info. someone should tell the internet. ;-)

When I posted I'd forgotten about the fact that the Vasa wasn't a viking ship ... but it's very true that there are LOTS of museums in Scandinavia that do have viking ships (or replicas of them), and we've always found them very interesting as well. It's not as if a viking ship is the ONLY thing they have!

Anyway, I'm glad to hear that you'll give the Vasa Museet a try. When we were there (2001) there was a lovely handicraft museum just across the street which we found well worth a visit. Don't know if it's still there ...

Mura

Here's the home page for the train from downtown Stockholm to the airport:

https://www.arlandaexpress.com/

Here's the Stockholm tourist home site:

https://www.visitstockholm.com/

And...here is one of the 3 recommended taxi companies- there are warnings about using a taxi that is not one of those 3 companies.

https://www.taxistockholm.se/en/

haha, ok.... my mom thinks it looks interesting so we'll see it.

and we will for sure stay overnight.

just trying to figure out if we should get a hotel near the airport and then figure out what to do with our luggage all day or get a hotel near all the activity and take a train to the airport the next morning before our flight.

We were there for 3 days post cruise in June'

You should stay in Stockholm if you possibly can- one of the great capitals of the world.

We stayed on Gamla Stan- steps from the Palace, Nobel museum and dozens of restaurants.

The train to the airport is overpriced. Take a taxi from your hotel to the airport. The price is guaranteed in advance and will be roughly $60.

The hop on /off ferries are OK but the bus was a rip-off. We basically were stuck in traffic.

Finally, my wife and I didn't enjoy the Vasa museum at all