Interesting new concept of combined River and Ocean Cruising.

Lottie A

I realise this is the Azamara board and you all know that I am a devoted Azamara fan but I just posted this on the Viking Cruises board and I thought some of you may be looking at alternatives to Azamara. This is particularly as AZ prices are rising so dramatically and there are limited European cruises in 2018/2019 due to the Cuba and Alaska itineraries.

I think it sounds very interesting and the prices are quite reasonable for the 18 day cruise in September 2018. I have always wanted to do a Rhine river cruise and the opportunity to combine it with an ocean cruise on one of Viking's beautiful new ship's is very tempting. Here is the gist of the Viking post.

Just had an email about this new concept from Viking in 2018. I would be very interested in this. Only two itineraries at present of 15 day Rhine river cruise combined with The Fjords in June 2015 with a starting price of £4,645 and the second cruise is an 18 day cruise in September 3018 to The Rhine and Amsterdam with Spain, starting at £4,395. Both changeover from river boat to cruise ship in Amsterdam.

I have booked a B2B cruise on Azamara next June but I am certainly interested in the September 2018 cruise. Well done Viking for thinking of this new concept....well it is new to me anyway. clear.png?emoji-smile-1742

Glad to see you are finding some interesting choices.

I recall that back in about 2014 Celebrity attempted a similar programme without, of course, the benefit of an in-house river equivalent and the related infrastructure.

The main caveat I would offer is that ocean cruising and river cruising (we have sailed on three with another in November) are very different products, the primary similarity being they are on water. Also the explosive growth of river cruising is changing the experience.

There is lots of opportunity to share insights on the River Cruise Forum. Knowing some of your interests, I might be able to give some useful advice there.

I should also warn you that, on that Forum, there are some posters who are doggedly anti-Viking Rivers. Some of them have never sailed on their boats. We have done so twice.

We have a Viking cruise booked for November, they seem to very proactive/innovative in thier marketing, allied to new ships, good itineraries and the propspect of good food and service they are becoming a real player in the premium cruising market

I realise this is the Azamara board and you all know that I am a devoted Azamara fan but I just posted this on the Viking Cruises board and I thought some of you may be looking at alternatives to Azamara. This is particularly as AZ prices are rising so dramatically and there are limited European cruises in 2018/2019 due to the Cuba and Alaska itineraries.

I think it sounds very interesting and the prices are quite reasonable for the 18 day cruise in September 2018. I have always wanted to do a Rhine river cruise and the opportunity to combine it with an ocean cruise on one of Viking's beautiful new ship's is very tempting. Here is the gist of the Viking post.

Just had an email about this new concept from Viking in 2018. I would be very interested in this. Only two itineraries at present of 15 day Rhine river cruise combined with The Fjords in June 2015 with a starting price of £4,645 and the second cruise is an 18 day cruise in September 3018 to The Rhine and Amsterdam with Spain, starting at £4,395. Both changeover from river boat to cruise ship in Amsterdam.

I have booked a B2B cruise on Azamara next June but I am certainly interested in the September 2018 cruise. Well done Viking for thinking of this new concept....well it is new to me anyway. clear.png?emoji-smile-1742

We are doing something similar this August/September. Booked a 10 day river cruise with Uniworld (Milan-Venice) than a 8 day ocean cruise with Azamara ( Venice-Venice). Have two days in a hotel between the river and ocean cruise in Venice. We didn't want to travel all the way to Italy for an eight day cruise.

We are doing something similar this August/September. Booked a 10 day river cruise with Uniworld (Milan-Venice) than a 8 day ocean cruise with Azamara ( Venice-Venice). Have two days in a hotel between the river and ocean cruise in Venice. We didn't want to travel all the way to Italy for an eight day cruise.

We did the Uniworld Milan-Venice trip in June. Was a great trip. I did an extensive day by day blog on the main River Cruise Forum if you would like to see it. It's probably a few pages back by now. Unfortunately I own my own business and its pretty hard to take more then 2 weeks off or I would have loved to have done a back to back and left Venice at the end of the River cruise to sail the Adriatic which is still high on my list