Making your balcony comfortable & fun

weltek

On our Alaska cruise, I always put my flowers (Pike place market) out during the night. Right against back wall, next to door. They look good all week . If super windy or stormy, does not work.

Kept bucket of beers out there. Steward keep it full of ice :D.

Hint.....do not hang your swimsuit out there to dry when under way. Will be gone in a few minutes.

A hammock might be the most brilliant thing I've ever heard! Games, binoculars, battery operated candles or string lights...all awesome. Although, giant Jenga crashing might make your neighbors want to throw you overboard. Giant Jenga would be awesome for a beach day, though!

I was debating bringing my Bluetooth speaker, and just leaving it at a low volume in the room with the balcony door open, so the sound is quieter than having it out on the balcony. I know nobody else really wants to hear it. Last cruise we planned to jointly listen to the Serial podcast on the balcony, but quickly realized it would be annoying to our neighbors (or maybe riveting!).

And yeah, I'll definitely pack my fishing pole, fireworks, grill and s'mores fixings. And if I bring my grill, I should probably bring a party pack of brats, right? #wisconsin :D

Edited by weltek

Lets hope some inconsiderate person does not have his music playing, or all the planning will be for nothing. You have to accept others folks music when sat on a beach sometimes, or simply move. Hard to move balconies though.

A hammock might be the most brilliant thing I've ever heard! Games, binoculars, battery operated candles or string lights...all awesome. Although, giant Jenga crashing might make your neighbors want to throw you overboard. Giant Jenga would be awesome for a beach day, though!

I was debating bringing my Bluetooth speaker, and just leaving it at a low volume in the room with the balcony door open, so the sound is quieter than having it out on the balcony. ........:D

Do not leave balcony doors open. That affects a/c in other cabins.

I was debating bringing my Bluetooth speaker, and just leaving it at a low volume in the room with the balcony door open, so the sound is quieter than having it out on the balcony. I know nobody else really wants to hear it. Last cruise we planned to jointly listen to the Serial podcast on the balcony, but quickly realized it would be annoying to our neighbors (or maybe riveting!).

And yeah, I'll definitely pack my fishing pole, fireworks, grill and s'mores fixings. And if I bring my grill, I should probably bring a party pack of brats, right? #wisconsin :D

I think you have it all covered. And if you forget anything you can always have it air dropped onto you balcony via helicopter. No biggy! :D

Husband used a c-clamp on one side and extra rope. Has always been allowed. And it is fun! Have used it on about 4/5 cruises. It's light weight & found it on Amazon. It fits in the little bag that is attached and can be seen hanging on the right side!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I understand the OP's excitement about an upcoming cruise with a nice balcony. We love spending time on our balcony too.

Seems like others here are bored and posting just to post. Maybe you need to book another cruise if you are that bored:confused:

I was being quite serious. I have a huge set of balconies and I plan on fully utilizing them.

Music, if that's your thing. At a respectable volume, of course...DW and I enjoy taking a Bluetooth speaker out there to listen to... paired up with the iDevices loaded with songs.

This one is probably unique to the forward PHs on smaller class ships, but we bring a red LED flashlight, so we can poke around in the dark if needed without killing our night vision or disrupting the bridge with cabin lights. Works out well.

Kindle.

Binoculars.

Can you tell us a bit more about the red LED light. Sounds good for up and coming fwd PH. No problem for the bridge ?

Can you tell us a bit more about the red LED light. Sounds good for up and coming fwd PH. No problem for the bridge ?

Yes - fwd PH was my application for this. We were mindful of of the bridge and didn't shine the thing in their face or anything, but a handful of times we used in out on the balcony for finding whatever and of course, for going in and out and around the cabin without turning on lights. Really small, fits in your pocket, and does preserve the night vision.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06WLJCFYT/

The large fwd penthouse balconies on Jewel (for example) really demand that you spend quite a bit of time out there -- especially in a warm climate like a Mexican Riviera cruise. Hell, we slept out there 2 or 3 nights as I recall. The fresh water spray from the window cleanings at 4 am was a bit of a surprise. After we realized it wasn't raining, we learned to push the loungers back under the overhang...

Yes - fwd PH was my application for this. We were mindful of of the bridge and didn't shine the thing in their face or anything, but a handful of times we used in out on the balcony for finding whatever and of course, for going in and out and around the cabin without turning on lights. Really small, fits in your pocket, and does preserve the night vision.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06WLJCFYT/

The large fwd penthouse balconies on Jewel (for example) really demand that you spend quite a bit of time out there -- especially in a warm climate like a Mexican Riviera cruise. Hell, we slept out there 2 or 3 nights as I recall. The fresh water spray from the window cleanings at 4 am was a bit of a surprise. After we realized it wasn't raining, we learned to push the loungers back under the overhang...

Perfect information..thank you. We will be on the Jewel in Oct. Honolulu to Sydney . cabin 10000 right under the bridge. I was a little concerned about light in the cabin and curtains closed every night...This may be the answer to those concerns.

Husband used a c-clamp on one side and extra rope. Has always been allowed. And it is fun! Have used it on about 4/5 cruises. It's light weight & found it on Amazon. It fits in the little bag that is attached and can be seen hanging on the right side!

This is brilliant!! Is it easy to hang?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

About the hammock hanging.....DH said bring 2 c-clamps & 2 /6' lengths of rope. Takes up little room. And doesn't weight very much. Each balcony is different. That's why he brings the extra rope.

This is amazing, and I'm so glad I dropped in on this thread. We have lightweight hiking hammocks, but i've never thought about bringing them on a cruise. They are now packed up for Alaska, leaving Sunday!

About the hammock hanging.....DH said bring 2 c-clamps & 2 /6' lengths of rope. Takes up little room. And doesn't weight very much. Each balcony is different. That's why he brings the extra rope.

Thanks! I'll try it out in December on the Escape!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Forums mobile app

Love this idea <3:wine-glass: I usually stock up on these at holiday time.

I need to add this to my permanent cruise check list.

We also bring nite lights, so DH does not turn on lights to use bathroom.

For cheese plate,, yes, baggies are used and put in fridge until afternoon wine and cheese (and fruit) plates. Cheers.

We do, too, BUT they work only on the Jewel class ships! Other ships the electric socket in bathroom goes off when the bathroom light is turned off!! DH had to charge his electric razor in the cabin! We also bring tea lights.