Making your balcony comfortable & fun

weltek

This is my second time with a semi-large balcony. I wasn't really prepared the first time to make the most of it, so this time, I'm thinking ahead. Our party of four has two connecting mini-suites with large balconies (deck 8) on the Escape. Hoping we can get the steward to open up the balcony divider. Regardless, I'm wondering if you have any tips to make our balcony a comfortable place to lounge, day or night, on the ship. What I learned from my past experience:

• I'm going to bring a light throw blanket to better enjoy the nights.
  • Light room service (coffee, yogurt, pastries) was nice to enjoy on the deck on port mornings, so I didn't have to run the buffet gauntlet if I didn't want to.

Anything else you bring or do to make it awesome? I need a better system for making a cheese plate (for midday wine) since they only seem to have cheese on the evening buffet. I suppose I'm not above bringing a plate back to my room and dumping the contents into a ziploc bag for the next day. :)

Anything else you bring or do to make it awesome?

Music, if that's your thing. At a respectable volume, of course...DW and I enjoy taking a Bluetooth speaker out there to listen to... paired up with the iDevices loaded with songs.

This one is probably unique to the forward PHs on smaller class ships, but we bring a red LED flashlight, so we can poke around in the dark if needed without killing our night vision or disrupting the bridge with cabin lights. Works out well.

Kindle.

Binoculars.

I have 6 cabins on deck 9 including the AFT suite on the BA.

I already have packed Giant Jenga (I added my own rules/dares etc to the blocks), giant dominoes, giant dice and Yahtzee sheets. I also packed beer pong, cornhole, a sticky dart game, decks of cards and various card games.

I am set :)

battery operated tea lights and/or candles for those romantic moments

Love this idea <3:wine-glass: I usually stock up on these at holiday time.

I need to add this to my permanent cruise check list.

We also bring nite lights, so DH does not turn on lights to use bathroom.

For cheese plate,, yes, baggies are used and put in fridge until afternoon wine and cheese (and fruit) plates. Cheers.

I understand the OP's excitement about an upcoming cruise with a nice balcony. We love spending time on our balcony too.

Seems like others here are bored and posting just to post. Maybe you need to book another cruise if you are that bored:confused:

Did anyone see the thread a while back regards to the person who wanted a "covered" balcony, so they decided to put a tarp over the sides of the dividers....

People do forget, as much as we would like to make our cabin and balcony like "home" there are rules that the ship must abide by, and I am sure any questionable items will be addressed by the powers that be.

Um...Hammock is da bomb. Wow - what a great idea.

I second the tea lights - easy to pack, take no room, and double as night lights without taking up a plug.

If music is kept a respectable low volume, why not?

Just remember to take everything off the balcony during the day. Between being blown away (wind) or washed away (maintenance / cleaning) you don't want to lose your goodies.

Warm Regards, Amy

I understand the OP's excitement about an upcoming cruise with a nice balcony. We love spending time on our balcony too.

Seems like others here are bored and posting just to post. Maybe you need to book another cruise if you are that bored:confused:

People are just having fun. This board could use a bit more of it.

People are just having fun. This board could use a bit more of it.

I think there are a lot of fun threads on these boards. (Love a good DougOut review!)

Just hoping to encourage more sincere suggestions for the OP.....I might try the beach ball idea! Not trying to ruin anyone's fun. Please forgive me:)