Things I learned on my Second Cruise

Jilltoons

#1 - Each cruise is different - especially my first cruise (Eastern Caribbean) and my second cruise (Alaska).

#2 - Was so excited about the Cheers program. Found out I do not drink as much as I thought I would. The one time I did - I got sick. Glad we got it - next time won't.

#3 - I put guilt on myself! I feel like I should be doing things - but guess what? I love the cruise to relax and read. Love the ports of call to discover. Next time - now I know...relax - enjoy - read.

#4 - I don't have to eat EVERYTHING LOL. Though it was pretty fun to try and I never felt hungry.

#5 - Fun to enjoy pizza and beer on the balcony after 10:00pm.

#6 - Never hurry - (unless it is because you are late getting back to the ship!)

#7 - Make friends!

I know there is much more....but these are a few of the things I realized about myself on my 2nd cruise. Can't wait until my 3rd!

On my second cruise I learned I prefer Carnival to Royal Caribbean.

On my second cruise I learned that I enjoy a balcony cabin much more than an ocean view.

On my second cruise I learned you can request a table for two in the MDR.

On my second cruise I learned I don't have to go to the MDR for dinner every night for dinner, that the Lido buffet is an acceptable option.

On my second cruise I learned that it's the little things that make my cruise memorable and I don't need a lot of bells and whistles.

On my second cruise I learned that I can communicate telepathically with flying fish.

Just kidding about the last one.:D

Great information and insight. I'll be on my 15th cruise in a few weeks, and I learn something new everytime I cruise, or from others cruising, and from the cruise websites. We were considering Cheers also, but I like beer and mojito's during the day, and whiskey, rum, or cognac at night, and couldn't see myself drinking 15 alcohol drinks a day, or a mix of other beverages.

On my second cruise I learned I prefer Carnival to Royal Caribbean.

On my second cruise I learned that I enjoy a balcony cabin much more than an ocean view.

On my second cruise I learned you can request a table for two in the MDR.

On my second cruise I learned I don't have to go to the MDR for dinner every night for dinner, that the Lido buffet is an acceptable option.

On my second cruise I learned that it's the little things that make my cruise memorable and I don't need a lot of bells and whistles.

On my second cruise I learned that I can communicate telepathically with flying fish.

Just kidding about the last one.:D

The mind works in mysterious ways, seems mostly from trying to find cheaper flights ;)

On my 2nd cruise I learned to see the deck steward first thing , and reserve my deck chair, in a good location, for the week, And a good tip insured a towel and Ice Tea or water would be waiting at my chair each morning.

That was more than 30 years ago, Ahh the good ole days.

Great information and insight. I'll be on my 15th cruise in a few weeks, and I learn something new everytime I cruise, or from others cruising, and from the cruise websites. We were considering Cheers also, but I like beer and mojito's during the day, and whiskey, rum, or cognac at night, and couldn't see myself drinking 15 alcohol drinks a day, or a mix of other beverages.

Oh my. Another "I can't drink 15 drinks in a day" comment. You don't need to drink 15 to make out!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

On my 2nd cruise I learned to see the deck steward first thing , and reserve my deck chair, in a good location, for the week, And a good tip insured a towel and Ice Tea or water would be waiting at my chair each morning.

You can do this? Or am I missing the joke? If so, what's an acceptable tip for this?

Oh gosh! Those really were the days!!!:D

The OP should come back after her 3rd cruise and relate her discoveries to us -

I confess that even after 40+ cruises, I do find surprises now and then......sometimes the joy is in the journey, sometimes the ship is the destination, and sometimes I'm doing something in port that I haven't done before.

It's good to keep a journal, whether by camera or writing a daily log.

Notice this comment,

Yes, I noticed the comment. Since it was in a new paragraph I thought it might be a general statement not specific to the paragraph above it. It does sound too good to be true. ;p

Yes, I noticed the comment. Since it was in a new paragraph I thought it might be a general statement not specific to the paragraph above it. It does sound too good to be true. ;p

Ahh the good ole days. :D You can bet the tip was quite good :).

But the dress code probably called for a dress shirt, tie, suit and spats and a captain's hat back then
Oh yes, there was a true meaning to formal nights! And Evening dress for the other nights! hehehe but everyone seem to enjoy the fashion show each night!

It's a good thing that the break even point for most is around 6 drinks per day;).

On our second cruise we found out that a 4 day cruise is much better than a 2 day cruise to nowhere. On our fourth cruise we found out a 7 day is much better than a 4 day.

On our second cruise, we found that a balcony cabin was much better than a ocean view.

On our third cruise, we found that the Panorama deck was much better than the Empress deck.

On our fourth cruise, we found that we weren't really impressed with the Steakhouse.

On our fifth cruise, we found that we like Carnival much better than RCI.

Agreed, my first cruise was almost 30 years ago and those were "the good ole days", but they came at a price. If cruise prices had kept up with inflation, I probably couldn't afford to cruise as much as we do :) FWIW, I actually kind of liked getting "dressed" for dinner each evening.

After 56 cruises, DH and I learned that we will NEVER share a cabin with 14 year old twins again (this was the first and last time). There's something to learn on each cruise :)

Agreed, my first cruise was almost 30 years ago and those were "the good ole days", but they came at a price. If cruise prices had kept up with inflation, I probably couldn't afford to cruise as much as we do :) FWIW, I actually kind of liked getting "dressed" for dinner each evening.

Agree 100%. We loved getting dressed up, made it truly feel special. That said, I think too many people who talk about how much better it was, do not take into account your point about what it would cost us. My first cruise was my most expensive.

Things I learned on my second cruise:

You no longer need a tuxedo

There are kids programs available

There is a BIG difference between a Junior Suite and an Ocean view

You can put an Ice skating rink on a ship

Late night karaoke (drunk karaoke) is very entertaining

On my second cruise I found out that I have as much fun on a Carnival cruise as I do on a Disney cruise.

On my second cruise I found out that I don't need a balcony.

On my second cruise I found out that I'm a pickier eater than I thought.

On my second cruise I found out that I really don't like doing laundry on a cruise.

On my second cruise I found out that I have as much fun on a Carnival cruise as I do on a Disney cruise.

On my second cruise I found out that I don't need a balcony.

On my second cruise I found out that I'm a pickier eater than I thought.

On my second cruise I found out that I really don't like doing laundry on a cruise.

I am hoping to learn the same as the bold! :D