Just off Summit Bermuda cruise

Toronto Guy

Summit was out first Celebrity cruise. Sailed in Concierge Class when it was actually something worthwhile. Never forget that cruise.

Lately we've been on only S class ships and thinking of going back to the M class. I love the T pool and that's enough to get me back :). Hope they keep up the maintenance.

We also have the luxury of never having to sail during school breaks. Also allows us to get off season deals.

Thanks for the report.

We did the Breakaway Bahamas run a couple of years back and our then 13 year old was board out of our mind. He liked the slides but the pool was a waste for teenagers. Last August we were on the Summit an he then 14 had a great time. He actually met a great group of kids and they had a lot of fun. We did not watch him 24/7 but would sneak up on them to make sure he was behaving and having a good time.

We will be on the Summit again on Sunday, and the Breakaway in November. We will soon see if those experiences are repeated.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Forums mobile app

Summit was out first Celebrity cruise. Sailed in Concierge Class when it was actually something worthwhile. Never forget that cruise.

Lately we've been on only S class ships and thinking of going back to the M class. I love the T pool and that's enough to get me back :). Hope they keep up the maintenance.

We also have the luxury of never having to sail during school breaks. Also allows us to get off season deals.

Thanks for the report.

People were shoulder to shoulder in that pool last week. Never ever saw it like that on any M class ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We did the Breakaway Bahamas run a couple of years back and our then 13 year old was board out of our mind. He liked the slides but the pool was a waste for teenagers. Last August we were on the Summit an he then 14 had a great time. He actually met a great group of kids and they had a lot of fun. We did not watch him 24/7 but would sneak up on them to make sure he was behaving and having a good time.

We will be on the Summit again on Sunday, and the Breakaway in November. We will soon see if those experiences are repeated.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Forums mobile app

Hope you have a great time.

Summit to Bermuda May 2016 Aqua 1 Cabin 1140. Didn't even put our toe in the water on this cruise, go figure. I would rather have cold water and NO KIDS on our cruise, May is a great time to see Bermuda.

32288398924_c543313e76_b.jpg

32347225484_a3c0790b64_b.jpg

32330066244_67a5b73725_b.jpg

26983129662_370da4e76e_b.jpg

CaptDave

I was on the Summit for the July 30th run. Sixth time in seven years in a suite. Only way to go. Manuela the concierge in Michaels Club is the best. She made being in a suite even better. I blame the parents or grandparents for not controlling their children. I am a teacher and see children at their best and worse. It's their upbringing either way.

We love the Summit. Already booking for next summer

Summit to Bermuda May 2016 Aqua 1 Cabin 1140. Didn't even put our toe in the water on this cruise, go figure. I would rather have cold water and NO KIDS on our cruise, May is a great time to see Bermuda.

CaptDave

cd - great photos, thank you for sharing!

bon voyage

We were on the same sailing as the OP. We did not notice the large numbers of children on board until the last sea day after it started raining. Even then, this did not bother us as we usually cruise during typical school vacation times as my DW works in the school system. IMHO the children were better behaved than what we have experienced on Oasis, Freedom, and Allure of the Seas.

We had an exceptionally wonderful experience that exceeded our expectations. :)

John

...... While Celebrity isn't kid "unfriendly", there's no comparison to the kids' activities offered by RCI, .........

Absolutely. There is no comparison as to what the Oasis, Allure, and other RCI ships offer for kids entertainment. To name a few, rock climbing, flow riders, iceskating rinks ......

My wife and I were on the Celebrity Summit from Aug 5-13th. I saw a kid get hurt pretty bad on the first day, and I posted about it in another thread. I think I heard an employee say something like the ship is designed for 1900 people, it was booked to 2600 people, and the booking included 500 kids. I could be wrong, but I think that's what he said.

The food was great. Our waiter staff in the main dining room were top notch. The performances and trivia games kept us entertained. My wife and I met some very experienced cruisers, and we enjoyed talking to them. It made me look forward to retirement, but that's 20 years away. I liked sitting in the revelations lounge, looking forward, and enjoying a drink. The revelations lounge usually wasn't very crowded, and that was nice. We have kids, but we left them with my parents while we cruised.

The kids on the ship seemed well behaved for the most part, but they did monopolize the hot tubs. Deck 10 was unfortunately competitive, because there were just too many guests. The kids really weren't in my way that much. My wife and I once walked to an open table. It had just opened up, and right as we got to the table, a grandmother at an adjacent table grabbed one of the two chairs and added it to the 5 chairs at her table. My wife said "hey what are you doing?" The older woman pretended not to understand english, smiled, and kept the chair. Stupid little stuff like that happened here and there, and it was because the ship was too crowded. I also noticed that people walked in one direction but looked in another at the buffet. Organized chaos was at the buffet line which sometimes moved left to right and sometimes didn't. Approaching those main entrees required strategy! Sequencing into the buffet line wasn't as easy as it seemed.

I thought it was just my imagination, but the floors were uneven. The hallway on deck 2 seemed bowed up or something. It didn't bother me, though.

I thought it was just my imagination, but the floors were uneven. The hallway on deck 2 seemed bowed up or something. It didn't bother me, though.

Not your imagination, I almost tripped first time we were down on deck 2 when I was in heels. You have to watch out for that.

We cruised Summit July 7-16 and they also said we had close to 2,600 people on board. I don't think we had as many kids but probably around 300. The pool deck 10 and deck 11 were madhouses on sea days. We did not feel there was enough other activities (that weren't some type of sales pitch) being offered for those of us that did not want to be outside with all the chair hogs. But we still had a good time and met some very nice people.

We were on the Equinox last week, lots of kids but overall VERY well behaved. It was a happy surprise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Glad to hear, as our three kids were aboard. There were 400 kids on the sailing, but I don't think it felt overrun with children. They had a great kids' program that kept them very busy.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My wife and I were on the Celebrity Summit from Aug 5-13th. I saw a kid get hurt pretty bad on the first day, and I posted about it in another thread. I think I heard an employee say something like the ship is designed for 1900 people, it was booked to 2600 people, and the booking included 500 kids. I could be wrong, but I think that's what he said.

The food was great. Our waiter staff in the main dining room were top notch. The performances and trivia games kept us entertained. My wife and I met some very experienced cruisers, and we enjoyed talking to them. It made me look forward to retirement, but that's 20 years away. I liked sitting in the revelations lounge, looking forward, and enjoying a drink. The revelations lounge usually wasn't very crowded, and that was nice. We have kids, but we left them with my parents while we cruised.

The kids on the ship seemed well behaved for the most part, but they did monopolize the hot tubs. Deck 10 was unfortunately competitive, because there were just too many guests. The kids really weren't in my way that much. My wife and I once walked to an open table. It had just opened up, and right as we got to the table, a grandmother at an adjacent table grabbed one of the two chairs and added it to the 5 chairs at her table. My wife said "hey what are you doing?" The older woman pretended not to understand english, smiled, and kept the chair. Stupid little stuff like that happened here and there, and it was because the ship was too crowded. I also noticed that people walked in one direction but looked in another at the buffet. Organized chaos was at the buffet line which sometimes moved left to right and sometimes didn't. Approaching those main entrees required strategy! Sequencing into the buffet line wasn't as easy as it seemed.

I believe yon are probably referring to the boy who somehow cut his foot open that was out on the pool deck before sailaway? Felt sorry for him. Not sure what happened. Yes I was also told between 2500-2600 passengers and 500 more than normal by a crew member. It was just too crowded for me -regardless of the kids I guess. Having sailed M class before I was very shocked at the crowding, inability to get a Lounge chair, buffet chaos and kids in hot tubs etc. Just not what I expected and I won't do that ship during school break again as a result. I am a bit concerned about my Xmas cruise in Australia now on Solstice as a result. Very worried to tell you the truth. Bigger ship might help...but more people they can shoe horn onto it too!

We were on the same sailing as the OP. We did not notice the large numbers of children on board until the last sea day after it started raining. Even then, this did not bother us as we usually cruise during typical school vacation times as my DW works in the school system. IMHO the children were better behaved than what we have experienced on Oasis, Freedom, and Allure of the Seas.

We had an exceptionally wonderful experience that exceeded our expectations. :)

John

I guess the thing is that I really don't think Celebrity is the greatest choice for families, particularly the M class ships. While there is some kids programming, and Im not saying I won't travel with families, it's the balance that seemed to be off in terms of numbers. I truly wish we had just booked the Breakaway instead now as I feel we were on a ship with same demographic anyway but it just wasn't designed or equipped properly to handle them. It's not the kids or families fault - its just the way it was.

[quote name=Jwils999;53802353

I thought it was just my imagination' date=' but the floors were uneven. The hallway on deck 2 seemed bowed up or something. It didn't bother me, though.[/quote]

I kept hitting that one spot on Deck 2 between the forward and mid-ship elevators... almost tripped once

I was on the 30 July sailing. There were a lot of children; more than I had thought there would be but it is summer. We were able to find a few 'adult friendly' venues so that was good. My final straw was allowing children under 18 in the 'dance club' until midnight. Not only do I think it is an inappropriate environment for children I would like somewhere to go in the evening for a few dances where 8 years old children are not there too.

The other thing I found odd is that the entertainment (guitar, keyboard, etc...) would play for 45 minutes and then take one hour and 15 minutes off to move and then they were in another location. It would make it hard for them to create a group and following.

The ship may be old but the housekeeping did an amazing job keeping that ship clean. With all the mirrors and surfaces that are there I was pleased to see that there were not finger and hand prints all over the ship, especially with all of the children on board. They did a great job.

We were on the same cruise as the OP. I was surprised at how crowded the ship was, but never having sailed on Celebrity before I thought it was normal. One thing that surprised me was that when we were in Bermuda, they decided to wash the interior windows on the elevators, shutting down 2 at a time, when they were needed the most. Seems like they could have planned a bit better and done this at a time when people weren't using the elevators as much. Ship does show it's age, but I didn't think it was too bad.

I guess the thing is that I really don't think Celebrity is the greatest choice for families, particularly the M class ships. While there is some kids programming, and Im not saying I won't travel with families, it's the balance that seemed to be off in terms of numbers. I truly wish we had just booked the Breakaway instead now as I feel we were on a ship with same demographic anyway but it just wasn't designed or equipped properly to handle them. It's not the kids or families fault - its just the way it was.

You think Summit was crowded, while in Bermuda on three different cruise I can't tell you how many people complained about how crowded the Breakaway was and how terrible the food was unless you do specialties. Can't comment personally on the crowding but on my NCL cruises the MDR food was awful.

It's a shame people didn't check this board prior to going, they would have found Summit has loads of families during the summer.

We were on the same cruise as the OP. I was surprised at how crowded the ship was, but never having sailed on Celebrity before I thought it was normal. One thing that surprised me was that when we were in Bermuda, they decided to wash the interior windows on the elevators, shutting down 2 at a time, when they were needed the most. Seems like they could have planned a bit better and done this at a time when people weren't using the elevators as much. Ship does show it's age, but I didn't think it was too bad.

This probably had more to do with little kid finger prints than poor planning. If they left the sticky prints then guests would complain about the cleanliness of the ship. This is a no win situation for the cruise line.