Airfare prices are killing me - just want to vent...

mixplix

My Christmas/New Year's cruise had the highest ticket prices I've paid in my life for ORD->FLL -- on Spirit Airlines no less. Was as high as $700 per person round trip, without a carry-on or checked bag or seat assignment. Finally just waited it out and booked for $480 pp, which still sounds excessively high but we're flying out just before Christmas and returning a day after New Year's -- so high ticket prices are expected.

I normally cruise with my girlfriend based on holiday weeks so she gets a free extra day thrown in. Ticket prices are always going to be higher. But when I cruise solo (I'm retired) I can regularly book round trips for under $90 total ($45 each way) so it all offsets nicely.

In the future I think one just has to be aware that any week with a free paid holiday is going to be offset by ridiculous airfare prices. The only option is what was said above -- add a day before or a day after and see if hotels don't wash away any savings. My Christmas/New Year's flight would have gone from $480 pp to $210 pp if I padded a day on each side, but my girlfriend can't afford the extra work days lost.

My Christmas/New Year's cruise had the highest ticket prices I've paid in my life for ORD->FLL -- on Spirit Airlines no less. Was as high as $700 per person round trip, without a carry-on or checked bag or seat assignment. Finally just waited it out and booked for $480 pp, which still sounds excessively high but we're flying out just before Christmas and returning a day after New Year's -- so high ticket prices are expected.

I normally cruise with my girlfriend based on holiday weeks so she gets a free extra day thrown in. Ticket prices are always going to be higher. But when I cruise solo (I'm retired) I can regularly book round trips for under $90 total ($45 each way) so it all offsets nicely.

In the future I think one just has to be aware that any week with a free paid holiday is going to be offset by ridiculous airfare prices. The only option is what was said above -- add a day before or a day after and see if hotels don't wash away any savings. My Christmas/New Year's flight would have gone from $480 pp to $210 pp if I padded a day on each side, but my girlfriend can't afford the extra work days lost.

Those girlfriends will cost you one way or another[emoji41]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Those girlfriends will cost you one way or another[emoji41]

I calculated the cost-benefit ratio and in this case I'm ahead a tiny bit. Plus she only joins me for 5-6 cruises a year or so because she still works (she's 34 years old), so my other 6-10 cruises a year I get to sail solo, haha!

We are booked on the AOS leaving San Juan 3/31 to 4/7. We were on AOS in 2015, and are looking forward to this different itinerary (ABC's plus St. Martin). However, I've been checking airfares since I booked in May 2017, before flights were even available, and you have got to be kidding me with the prices from NYC to SJ. I can't get a flight under $650 (and I need 4). Friggin Jet Blue is like 1500 per ticket! We've been to SJ many times in the past, and the average airfare was $350. I just can't justify spending 3k in airfare (yes, we have some miles, so one, maybe two of the flights would be free - the only up side to my wife's credit card spending habits) just to get to SJ.

I keep checking, and trying different options (Stewart, even Philly). Southwest's return date only extends to 4/6, and I need 4/7, so maybe that will work. Sigh...

I am getting on the ship when you are getting off. I check airfare everyday. Prices are cheaper then usual for us. A little over $400 a person round trip from Portland Me or a little over $300 round trip from Boston. We usually pay over $600 a person. Keep checking. I have yet to find a decent price on the Royal website.

A year ago we sailed out of Tampa and met a group of delightful Germans. They were on a Back to Back cruise... the next week the ship was headed to Europe. They purchased inside cabins for a low rate... particularly given the length of the trip. They would sail from Florida to Europe in the spring and back again in the fall ... for less than the cost of airfare and they had a great cruise. The thought of a transatlantic crossing sounded appealing... and I found a great itinerary and great fare and was close to booking... but I just needed to get an idea on airfare to get an idea on total cost.... well as I recall when I first looked a ticket from ATL to Ft Lauderdale and back from Copenhagen... was around $3000... just checked again and it is $2600 per person... I just can't justify spending that much on airfare...oh and this is coach tool. I

The Southwest deal is back on. Get both cards and charge $2000 on each within 3 months of approval. You'll get 60,000 points on each giving you a total of 124,000 points and a companion pass, good until end of next year. There are fees, but you can get them refunded if you charge it all in first month and cancel right away after receiving your points

https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/southwest/60kPlus?u1=c5deb25c8be111e7b1766ea02c65049f0INT&id=lw9MynSeamY&CELL=6PLS

https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/southwest/60kPremier?u1=f04a1c388be211e7916e560a8f91e5750INT&id=lw9MynSeamY&CELL=6PLS

There is an annual fee but it's offset in appropriate # of reward points that it basically balances out.

FYI, SWA released new schedule today thru May. i posted another thread whining re lousy #/time of SWA fights from FLL from PIT:rolleyes:

Yes I booked first thing this morning and got great rates! Don't wait too long though.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was also on this morning just as the schedules came on live. Amazingly, all of the Wanna Get Away fares FLL-DTW were sold out except a 10:10 am flight. How is that possible? Over $500 one way - are they insane?

I was also on this morning just as the schedules came on live. Amazingly, all of the Wanna Get Away fares FLL-DTW were sold out except a 10:10 am flight. How is that possible? Over $500 one way - are they insane?

Ugh bummer. The Boston flights were good.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

OP back - booked this am - 615 pm Delta non-stop flight on Friday 3/30 from JFK - gets in 1030 pm - $300 per ticket. Return on Southwest, 425 pm flight, non-stop to EWR, $268 per ticket. Would have loved an earlier flight down to enjoy more time in PR, instead of getting in late and going right to hotel and bed, and going to have to find something to kill time from disembarkation at 10 am until our 425 flight (will post separately for ideas - remember reading somewhere can drop bags and mess around in Old San Juan), but will take non-stop any day!

Total for flights $568 pp - pretty sure my wife has enough Capital One points for at least two, if not three free tickets. So, the cruise is on!