Airfare prices are killing me - just want to vent...

mixplix

Since there a good number of us folks who not only plan far ahead on cruises...but also the air travel that aligns to them...in the case of limited-flight locations and/or popular destinations (such as Miami, Orlando, etc.) - the result is that seat availability gets reduced more than other flights. No surprise there.

Once a base number of seats has been booked...remaining seat prices start to increase and continue to do so as a flight date approaches - even as much as 6 months in advance. We have seen flights to Las Vegas increase by 100% when large events in that city are held, so it's not unique to cruise ports.

The increases in seat pricing on flights based on the number of remaining seats remaining at any given time is a practice that has been out there for decades - nothing new. Those of us who fly regularly for other purposes (such as work) already know this quite well.

Therefore, when booking a cruise...or planning to book a cruise...if people want to avoid high prices...part of that process should include researching transportation costs to and from the embarking port - which the original poster apparently did. Some people may choose to find alternate routes to the port destination or simply other cruises altogether if the flights are too cost-prohibitive.

Our international from the uk out to anywhere in the USA is ridiculous. Our government often charges more in taxes than the flight is. We've gotten lucky for Christmas as Expedia were selling the virgin Atlantic flight for $1200 less than virgin, we couldn't work out why but jumped on it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That is part of the problem. In many cases 15-20% of the fare is associated to taxes & fees.

Our international from the uk out to anywhere in the USA is ridiculous. Our government often charges more in taxes than the flight is. We've gotten lucky for Christmas as Expedia were selling the virgin Atlantic flight for $1200 less than virgin, we couldn't work out why but jumped on it.

Same thing in Canada with the taxes, crazy!

The UK really is bad for taxes and fees. I visited London last year and my flights for three people was $2297.78. Of that, $1981.78 was taxes/fees.

So my tickets were only ~$105 each ... with ~$660 in taxes/fees each.

I'd love to visit the UK more, lots of history and an English speaking country, but it's also the most expensive place I've ever visited.

Yes, I have, and 4 airlines isn't a monopoly. But if you want the government to get involved and regulate prices, expect to see things get worse. Prices were far higher (taking inflation into account) before airlines were deregulated. People bitch and moan enough about airlines as it is (seats too cramped, no meals or bag meals, not a big enough baggage allowance, poor service, long wait times on the phone and on and on and on), but if airlines were somehow forced to lower prices you can count on ALL of that getting even worse.

I don’t want the government to regulate prices, just to make sure there is competition. I remember as a kid in the early 70s, flying in planes that were 95% empty, and wondering how that was economically feasible. And I agree with you 100% - people shouldn’t complain about all the extra fees and baggage allowances – just plan ahead. And I also agree with you that prices are generally more affordable than in years past. But on certain routes, when one airline has a “Monopoly” on that route, prices go through the roof. Sorry if my comment was flip, it wasn’t meant to be!

*In 1995, the U.S. Department of Transportation*Bureau of Transportation Statistics*(BTS) reported that the average roundtrip airfare was $467 when adjusted to today’s dollars. Over the last 22 years, the cost of flying has decreased by over $100 per trip, with the average roundtrip cost in 2016 costing only $354.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

We are booked on the AOS leaving San Juan 3/31 to 4/7. We were on AOS in 2015, and are looking forward to this different itinerary (ABC's plus St. Martin). However, I've been checking airfares since I booked in May 2017, before flights were even available, and you have got to be kidding me with the prices from NYC to SJ. I can't get a flight under $650 (and I need 4). Friggin Jet Blue is like 1500 per ticket! We've been to SJ many times in the past, and the average airfare was $350. I just can't justify spending 3k in airfare (yes, we have some miles, so one, maybe two of the flights would be free - the only up side to my wife's credit card spending habits) just to get to SJ.

I keep checking, and trying different options (Stewart, even Philly). Southwest's return date only extends to 4/6, and I need 4/7, so maybe that will work. Sigh...

Hi-

I fly Boston to PR all the time. Th cheapest I have found has been $450 per person direct. That was last year. I just paid $512 with a stop in Philly last week. I know how you feel. I have a price watch on a few tickets for the week before thanksgiving and the week after. Prices have been $650 for 4 months with no change.

http://www.goneawayagain.com

I also use Airfare Watchdog dot com. You go there and signup by simply using your email address. Once you are signed up you enter your desired home airport and list of cities you want to fly to and they will send you low fare alerts to your email. They are usually a limited number of seats on the given airline so when you receive an alert you must be ready to purchase right at that time or they may sell out at the given price. You will be able to purchase directly through Airfare Watchdog except for Southwest. If an low fare alert comes up for Southwest you will have to go to the Southwest web site to purchase the ticket(s). :cool:

That's a good price from Boston to FLL. Is your price on one of legacy carriers. I paid a little over $400 for April 1 travel to FLL, and had to leave out of Philly. Booked when AA schedules initially came out.

I don't like paying more then $300 for Florida, I can usually get good prices, however this is April and the prices are always jacked up.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don’t want the government to regulate prices, just to make sure there is competition. I remember as a kid in the early 70s, flying in planes that were 95% empty, and wondering how that was economically feasible. And I agree with you 100% - people shouldn’t complain about all the extra fees and baggage allowances – just plan ahead. And I also agree with you that prices are generally more affordable than in years past. But on certain routes, when one airline has a “Monopoly” on that route, prices go through the roof. Sorry if my comment was flip, it wasn’t meant to be!

No worries, and a lot of people really do think the government should step in and regulate things, and when I hear that I'm thinking be careful what you wish for because it used to be that way and it was a lot more expensive. And you're right... some routes don't offer much in the way of choices and as a result those fares can be higher. But again- it's the result of supply and demand in a free market economy....If one airline has a monopoly on a certain route, it's likely that it's because there isn't enough to demand for that route for other airlines to take an interest. A "fair" price is whatever people are willing pay for something. And as with any product, there will always be someone willing and able to pay more for any given product. Sometimes that means you want something that you just can't afford. That's life.:)

I found the same thing with SJU fares in 2016 for our April cruise. Got a United Mastercard: 40K miles, 2 passes to their lounges, one year no fee. I decided fee was worth it so I kept the card. . Unlike many programs, United lets you use partial miles and pay difference. I always get TSA Precheck when I use my card for booking. Something to consider.

You are way too early to expect any airfare deals. There are websites out there that can tell you when the optimal time to buy is on average and 7 months prior is not that time. Airlines still have plenty of time to fill the flight and have no incentive to offer it cheaper that far out.

I use Google Flights to track prices. They can save your chosen flight then send alerts and graph the price changes.

I desperately wanted to go on that cruise, but the airfare from anywhere in the Ohio area to SJU is over $1000 per person round trip. And since I won't make that flight the day of we would have to pay for a pricey hotel on top of that. Completely unrealistic! We opted for the 8 night Freedom cruise over the same week. The cost of the cruise was a bit more, but the airfare was much more in line with what we expected to pay.

One thing I have learned from my travel agent is prices are going up in all the overseas markets. They all have to update airports for security screenings and pass cost to the airlines. Big hike over the last year just about everywhere.

We're on the Anthem over Thanksgiving... fares were almost $1000 when I booked tickets from SFO..... went down $120 the next day, another $100 the next, another $135 the next then another $50 a few days after that.... I was steaming at having paid so much.... then I discovered that Alaska Airlines has a fare guarantee.... I got future flight credits for all those price drops. Alaska will be my airline of choice in the future.... especially since they just acquired Virgin America

fares are now back to close to what I paid originally....

You are way too early to expect any airfare deals. There are websites out there that can tell you when the optimal time to buy is on average and 7 months prior is not that time. Airlines still have plenty of time to fill the flight and have no incentive to offer it cheaper that far out.

I use Google Flights to track prices. They can save your chosen flight then send alerts and graph the price changes.

Tickets over spring break will not get cheaper

We are booked on the AOS leaving San Juan 3/31 to 4/7. We were on AOS in 2015, and are looking forward to this different itinerary (ABC's plus St. Martin). However, I've been checking airfares since I booked in May 2017, before flights were even available, and you have got to be kidding me with the prices from NYC to SJ. I can't get a flight under $650 (and I need 4). Friggin Jet Blue is like 1500 per ticket! We've been to SJ many times in the past, and the average airfare was $350. I just can't justify spending 3k in airfare (yes, we have some miles, so one, maybe two of the flights would be free - the only up side to my wife's credit card spending habits) just to get to SJ.

I keep checking, and trying different options (Stewart, even Philly). Southwest's return date only extends to 4/6, and I need 4/7, so maybe that will work. Sigh...

Right in the middle of spring break !!! $$$$$$

Oh my goodness, I feel your pain!! We were booked on AOS January 2018 and since she is now going into dry dock, our B2B was cancelled and we had to book on Jewel for a day later. Well....we had already bought our airfare so now we are having to move the flights forward one day. We bought them for $450 each and now they are upper $600-lower $700 and we have to stay with United since that is who we are booked with! :mad: I just keep waiting for the prices to go down! Hoping and praying! We usually pay around $400 to $450. Not sure why they are so high right now?!?!?!? Good luck!!!!

As a side note....air fares rarely go down within the 90 days prior to a cruise...unless a specific flight is <50% booked...which almost never happens. Anyone waiting for that remote opportunity is likely to be disappointed.

Airlines do as many as 25 fare adjustments EACH DAY, primarily adjusting based on 2 factors....time to departure and seats remaining. As people buy their tickets and time to departure diminishes...fares usually go UP.

This actually parallels how the cruise industry does things..although they don't adjust their fares as frequently as airlines.

On our Western Mediterranean cruise on Allure in 2015, we booked air travel to Barcelona soon after the cruise was booked. In both cases, we ended up with the lowest rates for both the cruise and air travel (followed rates daily).

If by some rare chance (such as remaining seats are higher than the airline or cruise company expects) you see a rate go down...you can call and get them to honor the lower rate. This requires very frequent rate monitoring. We did have it happen twice in the past 5 years. Both times, the lower fare was honored.

Bottom line - book early to get the lowest prices on air travel (and cruises).

If by some rare chance (such as remaining seats are higher than the airline or cruise company expects) you see a rate go down...you can call and get them to honor the lower rate. This requires very frequent rate monitoring. We did have it happen twice in the past 5 years. Both times, the lower fare was honored.

SOME airlines will honor a lower rate, and usually you don't actually get money back, they just give you the difference in a voucher that you have to use within a specified time. Usually though, you have to pay a change fee which can easily eat up the savings.

SOME airlines will honor a lower rate, and usually you don't actually get money back, they just give you the difference in a voucher that you have to use within a specified time. Usually though, you have to pay a change fee which can easily eat up the savings.

That certainly could be the case...but I have never had to pay a change fee in those situations - 8-9 times perhaps (usually fly Delta). It may be different with some "discount" airlines.

The Southwest deal is back on. Get both cards and charge $2000 on each within 3 months of approval. You'll get 60,000 points on each giving you a total of 124,000 points and a companion pass, good until end of next year. There are fees, but you can get them refunded if you charge it all in first month and cancel right away after receiving your points

https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/southwest/60kPlus?u1=c5deb25c8be111e7b1766ea02c65049f0INT&id=lw9MynSeamY&CELL=6PLS

https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/southwest/60kPremier?u1=f04a1c388be211e7916e560a8f91e5750INT&id=lw9MynSeamY&CELL=6PLS