Airfare prices are killing me - just want to vent...

mixplix

I'm looking at Southwest flights to SJU for next March, and they don't even have prices for the "Wanna Get Away" column. All they have are the Business and Anytime rates for around $600 one way. Thanks Royal for cancelling my Jan/Feb cruise on Adventure.

Almost the same here for our return flights from FLL in March. We might just go Business Class. The difference between that and Anytime is the price of EB. We've also priced it on other airlines and they're no better.

We are booked on the AOS leaving San Juan 3/31 to 4/7. We were on AOS in 2015, and are looking forward to this different itinerary (ABC's plus St. Martin). However, I've been checking airfares since I booked in May 2017, before flights were even available, and you have got to be kidding me with the prices from NYC to SJ. I can't get a flight under $650 (and I need 4). Friggin Jet Blue is like 1500 per ticket! We've been to SJ many times in the past, and the average airfare was $350. I just can't justify spending 3k in airfare (yes, we have some miles, so one, maybe two of the flights would be free - the only up side to my wife's credit card spending habits) just to get to SJ.

I keep checking, and trying different options (Stewart, even Philly). Southwest's return date only extends to 4/6, and I need 4/7, so maybe that will work. Sigh...

I had the same problems from the metro area to FLL on Easter week , '18. United wanted some $700 Newark & likewise from La Guardia. Since I'm paying for 9 I looked from at Philly. Was able to get a direct on American for $400 per--a steal, along with aisle seats and $11 per day for LT parking. Also, booked a direct to Barcelona for $720 per on American with aisle seats. Now the same flight is $1,300 per.

We are booked on the AOS leaving San Juan 3/31 to 4/7. We were on AOS in 2015, and are looking forward to this different itinerary (ABC's plus St. Martin). However, I've been checking airfares since I booked in May 2017, before flights were even available, and you have got to be kidding me with the prices from NYC to SJ. I can't get a flight under $650 (and I need 4). Friggin Jet Blue is like 1500 per ticket! We've been to SJ many times in the past, and the average airfare was $350. I just can't justify spending 3k in airfare (yes, we have some miles, so one, maybe two of the flights would be free - the only up side to my wife's credit card spending habits) just to get to SJ.

I keep checking, and trying different options (Stewart, even Philly). Southwest's return date only extends to 4/6, and I need 4/7, so maybe that will work. Sigh...

I understand. We were lucky to be able to do flights on points for our cruise from Fort Lauderdale in February.

We had planned to sail Freedom after she repositioned to SJU next August. But I know that the price of air is going to be higher than I want to pay, so we switched to Adventure out of Bayonne for the same time frame. While the itinerary sucks, and I'm not getting to the Southern Caribbean like I wanted, my kids get a flowrider and my mom doesn't have to get on a plane (which is getting harder with her mobility issues).

Got two balcony cabins for less than $100/pp more and no airfare. I figure the ABC islands aren't going anywhere, and I'll get there at some point.

They are. They also have incredible sales, especially last-minute. However, if one complains about being nickel & dimed on RCL, just wait til they experience Frontier!

I liked their packages of services, and the bulk pricing on liquor. Made the flight to Vegas fun

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

I've love to try JetBlue if they were closer than Chicago.

A few times, we've flown Delta to JFK so that we can take a Jet Blue flight to Puerto Rico.

But the motivation for that was to arrive in Ponce, and avoid the drive from SJU.

And while we did manage to avoid the drive, the midnight to 4am flight was a major detractor in many ways.

We have noticed that flight costs to San Juan have really gone up, too. Really sucks.

I keep checking and trying different options (Stewart, even Philly). Southwest's return date only extends to 4/6, and I need 4/7, so maybe that will work. Sigh...

I agree to wait awhile. We just book air from MKE to SJU for 450 PP. It may be a bit high but its the lowest I've found with the time I wanted.

We have been looking for a few months now.

We have been looking for air for a few months now. I just booked air from MKE to SJU for our Octobers trip. We paid 450 pp. Not sure if its the best I could do but it had the times I wanted.

Yeah, thanks. Checking Spirit and Frontier (shudders) but still high, and with multiple stops (I know, I'm a princess). I check almost every day but because its spring break and Easter (the first Sunday) I am not optimistic that it will get better. Even thought about finding a RT to Florida then puddle jumper to PR, but that weeks just kills. I dont have much flexibility in dates because of kids' school schedule - could go out Thursday night and come back Sunday, but I dont find its really helping. Delta has cheaper am flights on Saturday returning, but not late enough for me to comfortably book leaving the ship (I want 11 am as the earliest - I dont need the stress of timely docking, customs, etc., after a nice relaxing vacation week).

I will keep checking - can cancel until like December - who knows, might win the powerball this week, upgrade to a GS and charter my own plane (who am i kidding, if I hit for 650 MM, goodbye RCL!)

I use the hopper app, the only time it steered me wrong was last year with flights to Ireland, and I think it was because it was Easter week. The app looks at last year's prices, and easter moves every year, so my dates weren't a holiday week the previous year. I think it cost about $750 pp when I finally booked.

Agree with the OP, we love RCI, but live in Los Angeles. Since they no longer sail out of the LA port (except for repositioning the Vision next year) we always need to look at airfare when we cruise. Limits our cruises to two a year, but doesn't stop us.

BTW - we did the ABCs this year out of San Juan in March/April. Had to fly thru PHL, we must have gotten some kind of deal because we only paid $700 each RT to fly first class.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I feel your pain. I have HOTS booked the week before Easter and was looking at switching to AOS. AOS is significantly cheaper however when I priced airfare into it, the trip was even more.

To me the unbelievable thing is that the SW "wanna get away" fares were sold out about 5 days after they were released (for both spring break and thanksgiving). I'm not sure if there are fewer number of this fare on any given flight or if everyone books so quickly...which means you can't wait until 60 days out like someone else said.

For spring break, we are flying Jet Blue for the first time to FLL and was lucky to find it for half of what other airlines were charging. However, I occasionally find my best fares by searching for one way flights and be willing to use different airlines if need be. Also, I will search for 2 tickets at a time. If they only have 2 available at a lower fare, they will charge you all 4 tickets at a much higher price....instead of 2 at the lower and 2 at the higher. By doing 2 different bookings, you could save a few hundred dollars.

I feel your pain. I have HOTS booked the week before Easter and was looking at switching to AOS. AOS is significantly cheaper however when I priced airfare into it, the trip was even more.

To me the unbelievable thing is that the SW "wanna get away" fares were sold out about 5 days after they were released (for both spring break and thanksgiving). I'm not sure if there are fewer number of this fare on any given flight or if everyone books so quickly...which means you can't wait until 60 days out like someone else said.

For spring break, we are flying Jet Blue for the first time to FLL and was lucky to find it for half of what other airlines were charging. However, I occasionally find my best fares by searching for one way flights and be willing to use different airlines if need be. Also, I will search for 2 tickets at a time. If they only have 2 available at a lower fare, they will charge you all 4 tickets at a much higher price....instead of 2 at the lower and 2 at the higher. By doing 2 different bookings, you could save a few hundred dollars.

But you get a better ship and much better itinerary.......

With Southwest you can get credit if the price comes down.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

We usually go with miles too because of the flexibility with miles vs. a paid non-refundable flight. Once every 18 months, Citibank will let you open a new account for bonus miles and some airlines (such as AA) will let you purchase all the miles you need (up to an annual limit per person). In a lot of cases, purchasing the full amount of miles works out cheaper in the off-peak months than paying the fare. On AA, flights with miles are cancelable (for a fee) and the miles can be refunded. You can also change your flights, routing and dates (if there is inventory available on the new flights) as long as the origin and destination remain the same; all without any extra fees.

The nice thing about SWA is if you buy the tickers now and the price drops you can get a credit in the amount of the price drop good toward another flight. The price to San Juan over spring break will not come down though, only go higher.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

When i check prices, I check for one person - then see how adding 4 changes the number. Sometimes its the same for one or two - my wife and I have logged on two different computers and hit enter at the same time in that situation to get the same, lower price for 2 as opposed to four.

When i check prices, I check for one person - then see how adding 4 changes the number. Sometimes its the same for one or two - my wife and I have logged on two different computers and hit enter at the same time in that situation to get the same, lower price for 2 as opposed to four.

I'm surprised that worked, I would think they'd block the second transaction with a 'fare no longer available' error.

Have you tried Hopper? It's a cell phone app that you can pop a flight into (NYC to SJ, in this case), and it will monitor prices. When the prices drop, it will pop up a notification along with a recommendation to wait or buy. I use it ALL the time, and usually get flights in the $200s domestically.