Galveston weather concerns

There are over TEN MILLION people in the area with the flood warnings...and not all of them in NORMAL flood zones. If someone has lived an area for 100 years, that has never flooded before...all of the hotels are FULL...they live in a 2 story house an hour from the coast... They then have to decide...do I have enough GAS to get OUT of the city? (Even a full tank may not be enough to get to the NEXT gas station. I know for a fact that 2 major gas stations, one being a supercenter WMT are out of gas in Palestine, TX 4 hours from port.) What if they are stuck in traffic trying to leave? What if the roads are already flooded and they make things worse?

There are many factors that may preclude getting out of Houston. Some people can't afford to leave and don't make decisions until the power goes off. Last night, speaking to 2 relatives in different parts of Houston metroplex, everything was fine in their areas, power still on. And then the rain hit, as projected by the Weather Center.

While people were wondering if they should go (RCL ALWAYS lags behind Carnival on good weather related decision making. -opinion, not supported with facts, but research could probably do.)...and try to make the next cruise... overnight, all the worst case predictions are coming into fruition. The port authorities are well aware of people ON the cruise ships. They want them in asap. BUT, they are not paying attention to the next week people. They probably assume incorrectly that no one in their right mind will be ABLE to get there. Galveston has only two ways to get to it. Ferry, which is closed until further notice. And the I45 freeway. Anyone who DOES get off the ship (my guess is Wed/Thrs.), won't be able to get through Houston to get anywhere until the rains stop.

POINT being... all the local news agencies have been saying...STAY PUT. So, if you are staying put because it looked like the best option at the time...you might find yourself in a previously unknown flood zone. It looks like Katrina from the pics coming in across the state. On a TEXAS sized proportion. Realistically, where could 10 million people have gone TO? ( Darwinism... Bless your pea-picking heart.)

I wasn't talking about 100 year flood plains. I was talking about the morons that flood everytime it rains more than half an inch who refuse to leave--particularly the ones who are medically fragile. My husband has a guy with emphasyma that he has gone through floodwaters six times in four years to pull him out because he refuses to leave when they are predicting a storm and go to the shelter he is eventually taken to in a boat after the power goes out.

That said, it seems like many have been caught without any sort of a plan at all. I live in Orlando. Just like the TX coast, we get hurricanes. I keep two weeks worth of water and shelf stable food at all times, have a generator and fill the cans at the first hint of a storm headed our way, and top off the cars. We have enough blue tarp to cover our roof. It's really not rocket science to be at least a little prepared.

Edited by ducklite

Airport status. One report says Hobby HOU closed until Wednesday but not confirmed elsewhere.

http://www.fly2houston.com/hou/alerts/

updated 4 hours 10 minutes ago

HURRICANE HARVEY IMPACTS FLIGHTS AT THE HOUSTON AIRPORTS

Over the next few days, severe weather caused by Hurricane Harvey may impact flights at IAH and HOU. The Houston Airports advises passengers to stay in touch with their air carriers for the most accurate information regarding specific flight status.

UPDATED 8/27/2017 at 7:30 a.m.

Flights at the Houston airports are being affected by Hurricane Harvey. The reported affected flights are as follows:

IAH - Our air carriers have decided reduce flight operations for the next few days to allow passengers to adjust their travel plans and prevent unnecessary trips to the airport during the adverse weather conditions.

HOU - The runways at Hobby are currently unusable and no flights are operating at this time. Contact your airline for rescheduling/waivers

updated 2 hours 3 minutes ago

TRAFFIC STATUS AT THE HOUSTON AIRPORTS

Roadways and traffic may be affected this weekend due to severe weather from Hurricane Harvey.

UPDATED 8/26/2017 at 9:30 a.m.

IAH - Will Clayton Parkway inbound and outbound into IAH is closed at Lee Road. JFK is passable. However, road conditions around the City of Houston are much less certain, and we urge all passengers to consider the safest option before heading to the airport.

HOU - All roads leading into William P. Hobby are closed due to high water

This should confirm the closure for you:

http://www.fly.faa.gov/flyfaa/flyfaaindex.jsp?ARPT=IAH&p=0

AIRPORT STATUS INFORMATION

provided by the FAA's Air Traffic Control System Command Center

George Bush Intercontinental/Houston Airport (IAH) Real-time StatusThe status information provided on this site indicates general airport conditions; it is not flight-specific. Check with your airline to determine if your flight is affected.Due to WEATHER/ HURRICANE HARVEY, the George Bush Intercontinental/Houston Airport (IAH) was closed as of Aug 27 at 10:24 AM CDT. The date/time when the airport is expected to reopen is Aug 28 at 12:00 PM CDT.Delays by Destination:

• Due to WEATHER/ HURRICANE HARVEY, the Corpus Christi International Airport (CRP) was closed as of Aug 25 at 02:22 PM CDT. The date/time when the airport is expected to reopen is Aug 28 at 11:00 AM CDT.
  • Due to WEATHER/ HURRICANE HARVEY, the DWH airport was closed as of Aug 27 at 14:00 UTC. The date/time when the airport is expected to reopen is Aug 28 at 11:00 UTC.
  • Due to WEATHER/ HURRICANE HARVEY, the EFD airport was closed as of Aug 27 at 13:20 UTC. The date/time when the airport is expected to reopen is Aug 30 at 20:00 UTC.
  • Due to WEATHER/ HURRICANE HARVEY, the GNT airport was closed as of Aug 28 at 12:00 UTC. The date/time when the airport is expected to reopen is Aug 28 at 23:59 UTC.
  • Due to WEATHER / HURRICANE HARVEY, the Houston William P Hobby Airport (HOU) was closed as of Aug 27 at 02:55 AM CDT. The date/time when the airport is expected to reopen is Aug 30 at 08:00 AM CDT.
  • Due to WEATHER/ HURRICANE HARVEY, the RAS airport was closed as of Aug 25 at 15:08 UTC. The date/time when the airport is expected to reopen is Aug 29 at 04:59 UTC.
  • Due to WEATHER/ HURRICANE HARVEY, the TFP airport was closed as of Aug 25 at 07:01 UTC. The date/time when the airport is expected to reopen is Aug 28 at 17:00 UTC.

General Departure Delays: Traffic is experiencing gate hold and taxi delays lasting 15 minutes or less.General Arrival Delays: Arrival traffic is experiencing airborne delays of 15 minutes or less.This information was last updated: Aug 27, 2017 at 4:41 PM GMT

Glossary of Air Traffic Management Terms - A table containing definitions and/or descriptions of many common Air Traffic Management acronyms.

http://www.fly.faa.gov/flyfaa/usmap.jsp

I'd buy you a drink if I could...

Everything really is fine onboard. We're using dynamic positioning to keep the ship in place and smooth. Needless to say the cruise is over and everyone's focusing on "what's next?"

This was a spontaneous unplanned event. There could never have been a "good option," only "less bad" one's.

The area is expecting 2 to 3 more feet of rain, Galveston is under many tornado watches, they are rescuing people from roof tops, roads are continuing to flood until Thursday and Royal thinks they are disembarking you today? The pilot boats aren't even there............all esencial people are in search and rescue mode, and your Captain is bothering the harbor pilot? He has enough work to do than worry about a cruise ship full of safe people when they are starting to find bodies.

You won't probably get off that ship until late Tues or Wed at the earliest and it may not even be at Galveston.

Everyone on these boards are appalled by Royals lack of communication with you. Stay safe and enjoy a few more days at sea. Have a drink on me!!clear.png?emoji-halo-1683

At this point easy and efficient aren't all that important.

RCL could charter a flight from FLL, load it with RCL personnel and fly it to NOLA or Mobile. Get 200 hotel rooms for all. Setup computers at either site.

It can be done, and in the grand scheme of things is not that expensive. Can be done in less than 24 hours. I have organized similar emergency things wit my work in less time.

Setting up disembarkation of the current cruise can easily be done at either mobile or nola. It just taking today to setup of then logistics of the staff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, there is a difference between a fare class and a seat class. Most airlines have at least two fare classes for each seat, non-refundable and fully refundable. Most airlines also have two classes of seats, economy and first class. Some have more [economy, enhanced economy (basically more legroom), business and first class].

Southwest does have three fare classes, but only one seat class.

Uh yeah. I know. I'm A-List on WN and former million mile CP on US which rolled over to million miler on AA--not that it means anything anymore with the dilution of their FF program.

Here's what is happening on the ship. The morning was kind of geared for disembarkation. Nothing open but breakfast and the pools and public areas were closed.

After the port announeced just now that it was remaining closed for 24 hours the ship is gearing up for the day. Bars are opening, activities happening, and lunch announced. Everyone onboard is taking this all in stride.

It hasn't been said officially but it looks like we're overnighting in our current position. There is supposed to be yet another conference call happening soon.

Weren't you the one yesterday insisting that the ship would be in port this morning?

Everything really is fine onboard. We're using dynamic positioning to keep the ship in place and smooth. Needless to say the cruise is over and everyone's focusing on "what's next?"

This was a spontaneous unplanned event. There could never have been a "good option," only "less bad" one's.

On the ship away from port is best place for the next few days. Just not sure how manageable the situation will be on the ground in Houston once you finally get a chance to disembark. The port, itself is fine and will likely remain ok. When you get off the island, it's a total mess. The ship should have supplies for at least another three-five days. It's just going to be difficult when you finally get off the ship, especially if you are leaving Galveston.

Hopefully, they will have a chance for folks to do laundry.

RCL could charter a flight from FLL, load it with RCL personnel and fly it to NOLA or Mobile. Get 200 hotel rooms for all. Setup computers at either site.

It can be done, and in the grand scheme of things is not that expensive. Can be done in less than 24 hours. I have organized similar emergency things wit my work in less time.

Setting up disembarkation of the current cruise can easily be done at either mobile or nola. It just taking today to setup of then logistics of the staff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm surprised that they don't have an official DR SOP that already has contingency plans like this in place.

A perfect example of what I'm referencing. You aren't affected by this situation at all and just posted a wall-o-text of righteous indignation.

I'm less indignant than you are and *am* actually affected.

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

Barry I am affected by this and am supposed to be on board in your place right now. After the way we were treated I am indignant enough for the both of us. If you care to read my thread or other posts on the subject you will see that RC told us. I think they might be taking care of you guys better than they have handled those of us who were booked for today. I am home and dry, but only because every flight I booked was canceled. Some folks did make it in and are now in the flooding. One of them is staring down at his car under water in the hotel parking lot. All because RC kept telling us they they would turn the ship around today and if we were not there we would be left behind. Anyway, the poster may have been feeding off my posts and on that basis I agree 100% with their statement. I know it is not a cakewalk for you guys and I do not mean to diminish it.

Heh. 15 minutes of fame seeker. I only worked 15 years as a first responder for catastrophes. I've been on the ground in the aftermath of storms like Hugo, Andrew, and Katrina. I don't care about fame. I care about keeping people safe. I have no financial ties to any travel related company. But when the NWS is calling the situation extremely dangerous and beyond precedent, I tend to listen to them as official sources.

Let's try this another way. The Liberty cost RCI $800M to build and I'm guessing its insured replacement value with business interruption is well north of that.

The decisions they make or don't make affect that insurance coverage and it wouldn't surprise me if the insurance company hasn't put someone in place to monitor this situation.

RCI has access to more tools and resources and in real-time and on-call. They aren't going to make stupid decisions. Customer unfriendly maybe, but certainly none that will jeopardize an $800M asset or incur liability.

They just announced we're going to Miami. We arrive Tuesday night or Wednesday morning. The Liberty will sail back to Galveston on Friday.

Wow OK then. I wonder what (and when) they are telling the people that were supposed to be on today's cruise.

Barry I am affected by this and am supposed to be on board in your place right now. After the way we were treated I am indignant enough for the both of us. If you care to read my thread or other posts on the subject you will see that RC told us. I think they might be taking care of you guys better than they have handled those of us who were booked for today. I am home and dry, but only because every flight I booked was canceled. Some folks did make it in and are now in the flooding. One of them is staring down at his car under water in the hotel parking lot. All because RC kept telling us they they would turn the ship around today and if we were not there we would be left behind. Anyway, the poster may have been feeding off my posts and on that basis I agree 100% with their statement. I know it is not a cakewalk for you guys and I do not mean to diminish it.

I want to say that I'm sorry you are missing your cruise and that I find it reprehensible how you've been treated by RCI. You've remained calm and reasonable--mush more than most would have given your situation. I hope RCI gives you a full refund. It would be the only responsible thing for them to do.

PS--Don't buy cruise line insurance, check out insuremytrip.com or similar who offer better coverage for less money.

Wow OK then. I wonder what (and when) they are telling the people that were supposed to be on today's cruise.

I will let you know when I call. I have been waiting it out today to see what develops. One of the few smart moves I have made lately.

Edit: I will wait a while before calling so the internal trickle down can take place. The phone reps probably still have yesterday's press release in front of them.

Let's try this another way. The Liberty cost RCI $800M to build and I'm guessing its insured replacement value with business interruption is well north of that.

The decisions they make or don't make affect that insurance coverage and it wouldn't surprise me if the insurance company hasn't put someone in place to monitor this situation.

RCI has access to more tools and resources and in real-time and on-call. They aren't going to make stupid decisions. Customer unfriendly maybe, but certainly none that will jeopardize an $800M asset or incur liability.

You miss the point. As far as they are concerned, your safety after you are off this ship is of no concern to them. They have no liability if you drive off into Houston and die in a flood. So you are right, they aren't going to put their assets into danger. But passengers aren't an interest once they are off the ship because they have no liability. I know they won't dock if it's unsafe for the ship. My concern is what happens when people are off the ship. They can dump thousands of people into a disaster area without any concern of liability. It's just not the right thing to do.

a6689a0e069978086692e3e7bb7d4ace.jpg

Galveston county calling for citizen volunteers to help with water rescues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My son lives in East Texas and the local game wardens have contacted him and members of a hunting group he is a part of to bring their flat bottom bottoms and assist with rescue missions. He is gearing up now for the trip to the flood areas. So yes the situation is beyond serious if they need boats form 3.5 hours away to assist with recuse efforts. Prayers for all, first responders, rescuers and the people of south east Texas .

Weren't you the one yesterday insisting that the ship would be in port this morning?

Yes, and his opinion and info are superior because he's onboard and the weather has been great and the seas have been like glass.

The rest of us who have been paying attention to the actual forecasts, weather models and news for the last three days all have some sketchy ulterior motive and should be disregarded, apparently.