Galveston weather concerns

I am waiting for that person from 2 days ago to come back at say "This aint Tennessee" when referencing the Nashville flooding........

Ah found them.... just 2 days ago....

Thank you for saying it so that I didn't have to. My heart goes out to all the people of Houston and surrounding areas. Having lived through a similar disaster myself, I know the horror of what they are facing.

My son lives in East Texas and the local game wardens have contacted him and members of a hunting group he is a part of to bring their flat bottom bottoms and assist with rescue missions. He is gearing up now for the trip to the flood areas. So yes the situation is beyond serious if they need boats form 3.5 hours away to assist with recuse efforts. Prayers for all, first responders, rescuers and the people of south east Texas .

Godspeed to him and his friends.

I want to say that I'm sorry you are missing your cruise and that I find it reprehensible how you've been treated by RCI. You've remained calm and reasonable--mush more than most would have given your situation. I hope RCI gives you a full refund. It would be the only responsible thing for them to do.

PS--Don't buy cruise line insurance, check out insuremytrip.com or similar who offer better coverage for less money.

Yeah Duck, we bought the 3rd party insurance for years. Not this time though. I have recommended on my saga thread that people do not do as I do and buy the insurance.

Finally a plan. They should have announced this two days ago!!

Agreed. New Orleans wasn't an option but Miami was because RCI is based there. They should have kept us in Cozumel overnight like the Breeze and sent us directly to Miami.

I have dogs boarded and a job. A 7 day cruise turning in to a 10 day isn't a "good" thing. And God knows what they'll do with us when get to Miami.

Wow OK then. I wonder what (and when) they are telling the people that were supposed to be on today's cruise.

Hopefully they are picking up the phone and contacting each one directly. And assisting those who arrived in the disaster area yesterday with getting home safely.

They just announced we're going to Miami. We arrive Tuesday night or Wednesday morning. The Liberty will sail back to Galveston on Friday.

Took them long enough but at least they are doing the right thing there is no where for any of the pax to go from Galveston. I hope they take care of the pax they asked to go to Galveston to get onto the ship this week.99f4b3b755e71fc1ce8803d855c797ac.jpg89124eddf94ee89f427e5632eacd0e48.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

They just announced we're going to Miami. We arrive Tuesday night or Wednesday morning. The Liberty will sail back to Galveston on Friday.

Hmmm. so anyone who listened to the announcement (still on their website) that their cruise will leave tomorrow at 3 PM are going to have a surprise ;p

Being like a burned dog who stays away from the fire, I have just been waiting around and have not done anything about tomorrow, future cruise, or credit. I am just watching them stick their foot in deeper.

That may be true, but they could have jacked up the price for people who might have no other option.

Agreed. I have seen plenty of times profiteering has occurred during times of need. When I looked at the Hilton for an upcoming cruise the rate was just over $500 per night plus taxes. $89 is far better than them charging full rate.

About time a sensible decision happens!!

Though I'd be keeping a close eye on even the following week's departure as the area still may not be able to handle ships.

Finally a plan. They should have announced this two days ago!!

I actually understand them waiting to do this. Prior to last night, returning to Galveston late did seem an option. It's the people who traveled there for the next cruise who are in the worst position. They should have given an option to cancel a few days ago, IMO.

But everything changed overnight as the situation in Houston actually went to the worst case scenario and beyond. As far as the cruise next week, I think that logistically, it should be able to happen. But that is dependent on what this system does by the end of the week.

Another factor for those who were planning on flying in:

Due to WEATHER/ HURRICANE HARVEY, the George Bush Intercontinental/Houston Airport (IAH) was closed as of Aug 27 at 10:24 AM CDT. The date/time when the airport is expected to reopen is Aug 28 at 12:00 PM CDT.

Due to WEATHER / HURRICANE HARVEY, the Houston William P Hobby Airport (HOU) was closed as of Aug 27 at 02:55 AM CDT. The date/time when the airport is expected to reopen is Aug 30 at 08:00 AM CDT.

Source: http://www.airport-houston.com/FAA.php

Agreed. New Orleans wasn't an option but Miami was because RCI is based there. They should have kept us in Cozumel overnight like the Breeze and sent us directly to Miami.

I have dogs boarded and a job. A 7 day cruise turning in to a 10 day isn't a "good" thing. And God knows what they'll do with us when get to Miami.

Probably give you the option to stay and return with the ship or disembark and if you parked your car you are own your own to figure out how to get it.

Hmmm. so anyone who listened to the announcement (still on their website) that their cruise will leave tomorrow at 3 PM are going to have a surprise ;p

Being like a burned dog who stays away from the fire, I have just been waiting around and have not done anything about tomorrow, future cruise, or credit. I am just watching them stick their foot in deeper.

When you do call for your future credit, since you are so against sailing Royal Caribbean again, which I totally understand, you might want to ask if your future credit could be used on a Celebrity Cruise. Still the same parent company, but many say a nicer experience. Just get it in writing if they say it is a possibility.:)

Wow. I wondered if that might be a possibility. At least Royal has the infrastructure there, the employees, etc. who can handle it, and airports & hotels. I just hope all the passengers with cars in Galveston can get back there in a reasonable amount of time, and minimal expense :( What a mess for everyone. I'm so sorry to everyone affected. A friend of mine has been in a Houston hotel for two days waiting to hear, and now her cruise is canceled.

Edited by Cruzin-K

Yes, and his opinion and info are superior because he's onboard and the weather has been great and the seas have been like glass.

The rest of us who have been paying attention to the actual forecasts, weather models and news for the last three days all have some sketchy ulterior motive and should be disregarded, apparently.

I'm pretty sure he was saying that because that's what they were being told all day.

Seriously, why do people keep attacking and/or insulting the people who are stuck on the ship? I actually saw people on here go after some poor person who commented about running out of medication onboard. They were just inquiring about it. Didn't say they actually had run out. But, there were posters who basically responded that they were stupid for not bringing extra. Please just stop it! All the arguing isn't helping anything. Are any of you gonna sleep better now because this gentleman ended up being wrong & you were right? Are all of you also going over to the Carnival board & arguing with anyone onboard those ships, as well?

I thought we were all adults here.

I actually understand them waiting to do this. Prior to last night, returning to Galveston late did seem an option. It's the people who traveled there for the next cruise who are in the worst position. They should have given an option to cancel a few days ago, IMO.

But everything changed overnight as the situation in Houston actually went to the worst case scenario and beyond. As far as the cruise next week, I think that logistically, it should be able to happen. But that is dependent on what this system does by the end of the week.

Everything did change overnight but the original forecast was for flooding not to begin until Sunday, with the worst of it Sunday-Tuesday so it should not have been an overnight surprise to RC. It was going to take a day for the bayou's & rivers to go out of their embankments. But the amount of rain was forecast well in advance and that is when RC should have been helping their guests to make alternate plans.

Hey there. I know this is tough, but what are the chances that RC can pull of a 3PM departure tomorrow based on what you know? I am seriously asking because we are holding off on our cruise credit for now.

Thanks

I would say highly unlikely. But that's just my personal opinion.

Not sure on your time frame and work commitments but could you possible get the credit and switch to the enchantment tomorrow for your anniversary? There are suites still showing as available.

Let's try this another way. The Liberty cost RCI $800M to build and I'm guessing its insured replacement value with business interruption is well north of that.

The decisions they make or don't make affect that insurance coverage and it wouldn't surprise me if the insurance company hasn't put someone in place to monitor this situation.

RCI has access to more tools and resources and in real-time and on-call. They aren't going to make stupid decisions. Customer unfriendly maybe, but certainly none that will jeopardize an $800M asset or incur liability.

Unless something has changed rci ships are insured for loss,like sinking, anything else they are self insured

Thanks for the updates

The question is length, and whether or not they can turn around in the river. I don't know if Freedom Class can or not. :confused:

I cruised out of New Orleans on the Navigator of the Seas in 2013. At the captain's corner I asked a few questions about regarding the ship leaving the dock. The captain gave a detailed explanation of what is involved. Unfortunately I don't recall the numbers.

However, the Navigator OTS is 1020.6 feet long. The Liberty OTS is 1,112 feet long, or 92 feet longer.

The longest span of the Crescent City Connection (the bridge just upstream from the cruise ship port) is 1,575 feet long. The total length is 3,018 feet.

I measured it on a map that had a scale of just over 200 feet to the inch. It was over seven inches wide, which means it is over 1,400 wide at the port.

Here are a couple of pictures of the bridge ...

i-nz9s82h-XL.jpg

i-Qh5Pfd7-XL.jpg

If you want to see a larger version of the above two photographs, click on the links below ...

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-nz9s82h/0/eea86012/X2/i-nz9s82h-X2.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-Qh5Pfd7/0/e781d0f8/X2/i-Qh5Pfd7-X2.jpg

Yes, and his opinion and info are superior because he's onboard and the weather has been great and the seas have been like glass.

The rest of us who have been paying attention to the actual forecasts, weather models and news for the last three days all have some sketchy ulterior motive and should be disregarded, apparently.

Speaking of weather models, early last week this storm was forecasted to be a non-event, then a tropical storm, then a minimal hurricane, then the next day people wake up to a 130mph hurricane. Forecasts for rainfall was indeed up to a few feet as of a few days ago, but spread out through Thursday. No model was even close to the rainfall that fell last night. Pivital Weather .com will show the history of all these models and you can run any rainfall forecast- 2-4 per day depending on the model. Sending the ship to Miami is going to be a nightmare now for passengers. The best case would have been to bring the ship back early, but that was not realistic given the relatively "tame" forecasts at the time, compared to now. Now people have to find flights (hope they are on Southwest), and many people from Texas have to figure out how to get home and possibly retrieve cars. The crew on the other hand will have fun with a few day off sailing back to Galveston.

Probably give you the option to stay and return with the ship or disembark and if you parked your car you are own your own to figure out how to get it.

I don't think they would give that option to stay on, no guarantee Port will be ready, personnel or what day they'd return to Texas.

Everything did change overnight but the original forecast was for flooding not to begin until Sunday, with the worst of it Sunday-Tuesday so it should not have been an overnight surprise to RC. It was going to take a day for the bayou's & rivers to go out of their embankments. But the amount of rain was forecast well in advance and that is when RC should have been helping their guests to make alternate plans.

Most of the models I was looking at were showing the bulk starting late Saturday and running steadily through Wednesday. It just bombed out and dropped the entire three days of rain forecast in one night last night. We've gone from 25" of rain forecast to 50" now by the end of the week. But winds and seas were always going to make the port questionable. So, yeah, they were hoping for a forecast bust so they could cycle through to the next cruise.

I hope that people who have cars at the port would be given that option. It would certainly be far less complicated than trying to get people back to Galveston by air or bus.