Galveston weather concerns

It is not exactly correct. See my post above.

The poster specifically stated rising water.

Water that comes in from above is not considered rising water, however many areas have hurricane/windstorm provisions that can limit some coverage or apply a higher deductible for damage caused by water intrusion from the sky.

the big problem is that return to"normal" will at best permit rescue and other workers/volunteers to get in and help..."normal" is very situation specific in this case....but bottom line for RCL...ship in port...ship leaves and no refunds required.

I do think they will get back on Friday and RCL could care less about what happens to the passengers upon arrival.. ..they are going to cruise on Sunday no matter what that cost is to the community in terms of people taking hotels/cars/supplies etc. I do have common sense and know the mentality of this cruise line that they are not going to refund another cruise...simply they are not.

While I agree that they will do anything possible (including bold faced lies) to protect their financial position, they can't sail into a closed port, and there is no guarantee that the port will be able to open to commercial traffic or that the county/State will allow them to. Being dry is only half the equation, they also need to be able to provide the human beings required for it's operation.

Yes it is, etc. Did you want to quote the whole coverage declaration....:rolleyes: Rising water was the quantifier.

Are you an agent?

. Problem solved.

Here is a simple explanation of a HO 3 policy coverage. I suggest YOU read it ...

http://stormdamagecenter.org/ho3-insurance-policy.php

HO3 Homeowner Insurance Policy

HO3 is the most popular and common form of homeowners insurance. While designed to protect your property from storm damage and personal liability, just like HO1 and HO2, HO3 insurance is considered an “all-risk” or open perils policy.

Where named peril policies protect you from only the types of storms and disasters listed in the policy, an HO3 “all risk” policy works in exactly the opposite manner. In an HO3 policy, your home is covered for anything and everything unless it’s specifically listed as excluded from coverage.

NOTE: While your home is protected on an “all risk” or open perils basis, your personal property within your home is typically covered based on a named perils list similar to the one in an HO2 policy. In this sense the HO3 is really a hybrid form of coverage that employs both named perils and open perils types of coverage. An HO5 policy, the premium policy available to most homeowners, covers both your dwelling and your personal property using the broader coverage available in an “all-risk” form.

Typical Exclusions in an HO3 Policy

The following list contains the commonly listed exclusions in an HO3 policy. Exclusions mean you are NOT covered for damage caused by any of the following perils unless you purchase additional coverage.

1. Enforcement of building codes and similar laws
  2. Earthquakes
  3. Flooding
  4. Power failures
  5. Neglect (meaning your failure to take reasonable steps to protect your property)
  6. War
  7. Nuclear hazard
  8. Intentional acts
  9. Freezing pipes and systems in vacant dwellings
  10. Damage to foundations or pavements from ice and water weight
  11. Theft from a dwelling under construction
  12. Vandalism to vacant dwellings
  13. Latent defects, corrosion, industrial smoke, pollution
  14. Settling, wear, and tear
  15. Pets, other animals, and pests
  16. Weather conditions that aggravate other excluded causes of loss
  17. Government and association actions
  18. Defective construction, design, and maintenance

The most commonly overlooked type of coverage is flood insurance. Many people assume, incorrectly, that their basic homeowners insurance policy would cover water damage from flooding. In order to be covered for damage caused by flooding, the most common type of storm damage, you have to purchase a separate insurance policy that specifically covers flooding. The same rules apply for earthquakes and the other exclusions listed above.

Like the other HO forms, HO3 usually consists of a mix of replacement value coverage for your home and actual cash value coverage for your personal property. If you are not familiar with these terms, visit our common insurance terms page as it’s critical that you understand the difference between the two valuation methods when purchasing or evaluating your home insurance coverage.

- - - - - - - - - -

I have highlighted the exclusions for water. Until the water hits the ground, it is NOT flood water. Thus water coming in via a hole in the roof or wind driven rain coming in via a leaky window IS covered. And not all interior sources of water are covered. READ YOUR POLICY.

Below is a link to a SAMPLE HO 3 policy. It is a SAMPLE, it may or may not be the same as your policy. There are different homeowner policies. I common upgrade from a HO 3 policy is a HO 5 policy. Condos and townhomes are typically coverage under an HO 6 policy.

http://www.iii.org/sites/default/files/docs/pdf/HO3_sample.pdf

While I agree that they will do anything possible (including bold faced lies) to protect their financial position, they can't sail into a closed port, and there is no guarantee that the port will be able to open to commercial traffic or that the county/State will allow them to. Being dry is only half the equation, they also need to be able to provide the human beings required for it's operation.

Maybe just bad reasoning on my part but I have to think that the cruise line and captain have been assured that if all weather patterns stay constant they will have a berth in Galveston on Friday or they would not leave Miami. I have lost track but are there not some Carnival ships that should be there too? Are they returning to Galveston?

I do think they will get back on Friday and RCL could care less about what happens to the passengers upon arrival.. ..they are going to cruise on Sunday no matter what that cost is to the community in terms of people taking hotels/cars/supplies etc. I do have common sense and know the mentality of this cruise line that they are not going to refund another cruise...simply they are not.

While that may be true, it is also true that a good part of the passengers on the ship are from the area that was flooded, and they just want to go home and see what is left.

So I'd bet that there are some Liberty passengers that are demanding to be taken home. We can't forget about them.

Also- we know they are scheduled to arrive on Friday, and not leave again until Sunday- which suggests that they have time to offer some kind of relief. Such as- if people find out they can't go home, they *might* stay on board for a few days.

As for the next set of cruisers- you are right, they don't want to miss out. One thing we do not know one way or another- how they will treat locals who have been drastically effected by this tragedy. They may allow them to have a refund, postpone, or just give them the finger in terms of canceling. The only ones who are being told that they probably don't have a choice are ones flying in- since the airport should be open, and some hotels might be available.

Maybe just bad reasoning on my part but I have to think that the cruise line and captain have been assured that if all weather patterns stay constant they will have a berth in Galveston on Friday or they would not leave Miami. I have lost track but are there not some Carnival ships that should be there too? Are they returning to Galveston?

NO. Carnival cancelled the next cruise.

RCI is still making stuff up.

Rivers and reservoirs in the houston area are still rising. My friends in the houston area who have not evacuated yet are TODAY concerned about having to mandatory evacuate.

Life has to continue now that the storm is moving on. If Royal Caribbean and Carnival move those ships out of Galveston, a lot of people who have lost homes and cars will also now lose their jobs. The cost to the community is much worse if those ships do not come in. Yes, supplies/hotels/cars are in short supply currently, but now that things are draining and roads are opening, all the trucks that have been waiting to get supplies to the area can start rolling. Once the port opens, cruise ships can come in but other ships can come in too.

It is best for the area to let everyone start working towards some kind of normalcy.

Here is a simple explanation of a HO 3 policy coverage. I suggest YOU read it ...

http://stormdamagecenter.org/ho3-insurance-policy.php

HO3 Homeowner Insurance Policy

HO3 is the most popular and common form of homeowners insurance. While designed to protect your property from storm damage and personal liability, just like HO1 and HO2, HO3 insurance is considered an “all-risk” or open perils policy.

Where named peril policies protect you from only the types of storms and disasters listed in the policy, an HO3 “all risk” policy works in exactly the opposite manner. In an HO3 policy, your home is covered for anything and everything unless it’s specifically listed as excluded from coverage.

NOTE: While your home is protected on an “all risk” or open perils basis, your personal property within your home is typically covered based on a named perils list similar to the one in an HO2 policy. In this sense the HO3 is really a hybrid form of coverage that employs both named perils and open perils types of coverage. An HO5 policy, the premium policy available to most homeowners, covers both your dwelling and your personal property using the broader coverage available in an “all-risk” form.

Typical Exclusions in an HO3 Policy

The following list contains the commonly listed exclusions in an HO3 policy. Exclusions mean you are NOT covered for damage caused by any of the following perils unless you purchase additional coverage.

1. Enforcement of building codes and similar laws
  2. Earthquakes
  3. Flooding
  4. Power failures
  5. Neglect (meaning your failure to take reasonable steps to protect your property)
  6. War
  7. Nuclear hazard
  8. Intentional acts
  9. Freezing pipes and systems in vacant dwellings
  10. Damage to foundations or pavements from ice and water weight
  11. Theft from a dwelling under construction
  12. Vandalism to vacant dwellings
  13. Latent defects, corrosion, industrial smoke, pollution
  14. Settling, wear, and tear
  15. Pets, other animals, and pests
  16. Weather conditions that aggravate other excluded causes of loss
  17. Government and association actions
  18. Defective construction, design, and maintenance

The most commonly overlooked type of coverage is flood insurance. Many people assume, incorrectly, that their basic homeowners insurance policy would cover water damage from flooding. In order to be covered for damage caused by flooding, the most common type of storm damage, you have to purchase a separate insurance policy that specifically covers flooding. The same rules apply for earthquakes and the other exclusions listed above.

Like the other HO forms, HO3 usually consists of a mix of replacement value coverage for your home and actual cash value coverage for your personal property. If you are not familiar with these terms, visit our common insurance terms page as it’s critical that you understand the difference between the two valuation methods when purchasing or evaluating your home insurance coverage.

- - - - - - - - - -

I have highlighted the exclusions for water. Until the water hits the ground, it is NOT flood water. Thus water coming in via a hole in the roof or wind driven rain coming in via a leaky window IS covered. And not all interior sources of water are covered. READ YOUR POLICY.

Below is a link to a SAMPLE HO 3 policy. It is a SAMPLE, it may or may not be the same as your policy. There are different homeowner policies. I common upgrade from a HO 3 policy is a HO 5 policy. Condos and townhomes are typically coverage under an HO 6 policy.

http://www.iii.org/sites/default/files/docs/pdf/HO3_sample.pdf

Maybe you need to step back and understand what the term "rising water" means.

NO. Carnival cancelled rhe next cruise.

Only Carnival Cruises departing thru 08.31.17 have been cancelled at this point. Sunday's sailing is still up in the air just like LOS.

Myself & a friend are scheduled for RCI Sunday and our work friend is scheduled on Carnival. We're all cautiously optimistic that we will all sail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let me guess, there was a guy named Silverstein involved in that one... :mad:

No, the person made a rolling stop, a left turn, and hit and killed a woman in the cross walk. After three criminal trials resulting in a hung jury, he ran out of money and accept a plea for some misdemeanor driving offense (I don't remember what). Then sued the insurance company for $10 billion for failure to come to his aid in the criminal case.

The courts have consistently ruled that the "damages" sought in a criminal case are not coverage by insurance. A civil case (in this case it would be a civil action for wrongful death) would be covered, unless the act was intentional (which is was not in this case). The case against the insurance company never made it to a jury, because there was no coverage for the criminal proceedings against the insured.

Maybe you need to step back and understand what the term "rising water" means.

I highlighted the statement that was incorrect. In California that statement would be considered misrepresentation which could lead to an allegation of bad faith.

One thing we do not know one way or another- how they will treat locals who have been drastically effected by this tragedy. They may allow them to have a refund, postpone, or just give them the finger in terms of canceling. The only ones who are being told that they probably don't have a choice are ones flying in- since the airport should be open, and some hotels might be available.

A poor lady in my Roll Call (Liberty 9/10) is a Houston local, and her house has 4ft standing water. Royal did the right thing and is refunding her money for the cruise.

Life has to continue now that the storm is moving on. If Royal Caribbean and Carnival move those ships out of Galveston, a lot of people who have lost homes and cars will also now lose their jobs. The cost to the community is much worse if those ships do not come in. Yes, supplies/hotels/cars are in short supply currently, but now that things are draining and roads are opening, all the trucks that have been waiting to get supplies to the area can start rolling. Once the port opens, cruise ships can come in but other ships can come in too.

It is best for the area to let everyone start working towards some kind of normalcy.

While I agree with the sentiment and that yes, they should restore operations in Galveston as soon as reasonably possible, the term reasonable must apply. Coming in while they are still under a state of emergency and all services are already stretched past the breaking point, expecting people to travel to the port for a cruise seems greedy and well, just flat out stupid.

NO. Carnival cancelled the next cruise.

Rivers and reservoirs in the houston area are still rising. My friends in the houston area who have not evacuated yet are TODAY concerned about having to mandatory evacuate.

CCL cancelled 8/29 and earlier cruises. Not weekend cruises.

This is #FAKENEWS

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They must be mind readers, because Hobby's web site and Twitter feed, as well as Southwest's web site both say that Hobby is closed until further notice, and a post to the official web site indicates that there is still significant flooding and road closures around HOU..

SWA's employee website is stating operations will resume @HOU on 9/2, Saturday so keep checking.

I highlighted the statement that was incorrect. In California that statement would be considered misrepresentation which could lead to an allegation of bad faith.

Which specific statement is it? I see several highlighted.

A poor lady in my Roll Call (Liberty 9/10) is a Houston local, and her house has 4ft standing water. Royal did the right thing and is refunding her money for the cruise.

Well, that is one. 3,199 more to go.

Like I said, we have been through this with Katrina-- hotels are not going to kick out homeless citizens in a disaster zone so you can come in for fun.

Same thing with Charley/Frances/Jeanne in Florida. Been there, fortunately had no damage, but had friends that did who lived in hotels for a month--and the hotels weren't allowed to kick them out even though others had bookings.