re meat pies

1 minute ago, MMDown Under said:

Steak and kidney pie is my favourite. I was happy I got the last one yesterday.  It reminds me of the family size home made steak and kidney pies, with a black bird funnel, which I loved as a Child.

I love steak and kidney too, it has a distinctive flavour that many people don't like, so you don't see it much. I made one once but the family weren't keen so that put paid to that!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Jean C said:

I love steak and kidney too, it has a distinctive flavour that many people don't like, so you don't see it much. I made one once but the family weren't keen so that put paid to that!

yes it does.  The highway has been diverted past the small town where I used to buy steak and kidney pies. 😢 😔 
In my travels I discovered NZ was one place you could get steak and kidney, liver, etc. No wonder I feel so at home in NZ!

Not tried these since coeliac hit me in 2010. They still make them. Any of you pie eaters eaten them recently? They used to be ok.  Coles and Woolies sell the steak and kidney version, made in OZ under license by Campbells Soups. Around $10.

079303.jpg

Edited by NSWP

15 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Not tried these since coeliac hit me in 2010. They still make them. Any of you pie eaters eaten them recently? They used to be ok.  Coles and Woolies sell the steak and kidney version, made in OZ under license by Campbells Soups. Around $10.

079303.jpg

The last time I had one was Aldi English products.  It was good but possibly was English one.

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

079303.jpg

Mum used to buy these in the UK many, many moons ago when we were on self catering holidays in England. I bought one a few years back and it didn't disappoint. If my memory serves me well they are from Argentina where the meat is cheap and plentiful 😋

On 4/10/2023 at 7:42 AM, MMDown Under said:

Seeking Pacific Highway recommending for pies, pasties and sausage rolls.  We are

driving home to GC tomorrow two days.  We stayed at Goulburn Bakery on way down. 
Any recommendations for fish and chips en route welcome although we have two.

Wont be an early departure with today 3c feels like 2c!  Happy Easter everyone from

a Canberra early Autumn!

It was indeed a cold morning on Monday.  Sorry we missed you, Marion

27 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

It was indeed a cold morning on Monday.  Sorry we missed you, Marion

Certainly not camping weather. However all is forgiven when the sun comes out.  I love watching the trotters being exercised in the early mornings. Then watching the flocks of cockatoos fly over.  We had tickets to the National Folk Festival.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

I try to avoid the folk shows no matter where in the world we go

We go to the annual Woodford Folk Festival, Byron Bay Festival, Blues on Broadbeach, and the Dorrigo Folk Festival. What music do you enjoy?

2 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

We go to the annual Woodford Folk Festival, Byron Bay Festival, Blues on Broadbeach, and the Dorrigo Folk Festival. What music do you enjoy?

All sorts, probably late 70s and 80s pop are my fav, but I won't go to festivals, or concerts, any more unless there are extenuating circumstances.

7 hours ago, Mareblu said:

But of course you can enjoy meat pies at music festivals🥰

No meat pies at the Festival but the best quality international food I’ve ever had the pleasure of eating at a Festival.  Complemented by home cooking in the tent.

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

No meat pies at the Festival but the best quality international food I’ve ever had the pleasure of eating at a Festival.  Complemented by home cooking in the tent.

Surely it isn't home cooking if it is in a tent. Lol

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Yum. hot or cold?  Steak and mushroom is my default pie.

Alas it was cold, that being said I like them cold. Steak and mushroom is my default as well. I also bought a chicken, bacon and mushroom as well but haven't eaten it. Last time I bought a butter chicken pie when I was there. I looked for another one but they didn't have any.

29 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Alas it was cold, that being said I like them cold. Steak and mushroom is my default as well. I also bought a chicken, bacon and mushroom as well but haven't eaten it. Last time I bought a butter chicken pie when I was there. I looked for another one but they didn't have any.

Chicken pies don’t appeal to me.  In Tasmania everyone raves about the scallop pies but I didn’t like them although I love scallops. I think it might be the creamy sauce.  I guess I like traditional pies.

23 hours ago, Jean C said:

Mum used to buy these in the UK many, many moons ago when we were on self catering holidays in England. I bought one a few years back and it didn't disappoint. If my memory serves me well they are from Argentina where the meat is cheap and plentiful 😋

Originally made in Argentina, but now made in UK and Australia.  In UK you can get chicken ones as well. Fray Bentos is a town/area in Argentina where the meat canning began. Argentina is a wonderful place, spent a couple of weeks there in 2016.  Great meat.

275669577_10160963370528274_581224524216057675_n.thumb.jpg.30cd44af4bb392fa874bef19d2273d33.jpg

• Like 2