re meat pies

3 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Originally made in Argentina, but now made in UK and Australia.  In UK you can get chicken ones as well. Fray Bentos is a town/area in Argentina where the meat canning began. Argentina is a wonderful place, spent a couple of weeks there in 2016.  Great meat.

275669577_10160963370528274_581224524216057675_n.thumb.jpg.30cd44af4bb392fa874bef19d2273d33.jpg

Thanks Les. We spent some time in Argentina on a South America cruise, a beautiful and picturesque country. I couldn't get over how much meat you saw though, huge plate-filling steaks and very reasonably priced too 😋

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jean C said:

Thanks Les. We spent some time in Argentina on a South America cruise, a beautiful and picturesque country. I couldn't get over how much meat you saw though, huge plate-filling steaks and very reasonably priced too 😋

I was amazed how much meat locals ate and how late!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Originally made in Argentina, but now made in UK and Australia.  In UK you can get chicken ones as well. Fray Bentos is a town/area in Argentina where the meat canning began. Argentina is a wonderful place, spent a couple of weeks there in 2016.  Great meat.

275669577_10160963370528274_581224524216057675_n.thumb.jpg.30cd44af4bb392fa874bef19d2273d33.jpg

I didn’t know the Argentine connection. I thought they were UK pies.

Enjoy your lunch, Les.

• Like 1

Another mushroom and steak pie from Garran for lunch today.  Seems to be our regular Saturday go-to lunch now, along with take-away egg and bacon roll from Beess & Co, Yarralumla, every Sunday morning.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mareblu said:

Another mushroom and steak pie from Garran for lunch today.  Seems to be our regular Saturday go-to lunch now, along with take-away egg and bacon roll from Beess & Co, Yarralumla, every Sunday morning.

Funny how you get into a habit - we always do a grocery shop at Superbarn Kingston at about 8am on Saturdays and have a coffee and pastry at Wildflour opposite before. If very early sometimes we will go to Silo instead but the staff at Wildflour are just lovely. This morning they ran after us to give us a baguette to take home. It will be dinner with meats and other antipasti. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aussieflyer said:

Funny how you get into a habit - we always do a grocery shop at Superbarn Kingston at about 8am on Saturdays and have a coffee and pastry at Wildflour opposite before. If very early sometimes we will go to Silo instead but the staff at Wildflour are just lovely. This morning they ran after us to give us a baguette to take home. It will be dinner with meats and other antipasti. 

It’s a great supermarket;  we often shop there.  Parking under is a bonus.  Silo is also a wonderful bakery, but haven’t tried Wildflour, but with customer care like that, they deserve patronage.  How lovely.  Enjoy your antipasti, etc.  Barbecued porterhouse for us, with the peperonata I’ve simmered this afternoon.  Coast for a few days this week:  time to try Sandbar again😋

Edited by Mareblu
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Mareblu said:

It’s a great supermarket;  we often shop there.  Parking under is a bonus.  Silo is also a wonderful bakery, but haven’t tried Wildflour, but with customer care like that, they deserve patronage.  How lovely.  Enjoy your antipasti, etc.  Barbecued porterhouse for us, with the peperonata I’ve simmered this afternoon.  Coast for a few days this week:  time to try Sandbar again😋

Love how you call it "the Coast", like we do.  Used to be South Coast or North Coast to differentiate.  Enjoy your few days.  

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Aussieflyer said:

Oh no - oodles and oodles of sauce on the pie, forget about the chips.

Tomato sauce on the pie is not a thing in my world. If we finally do get down under I will try it with sauce because it is a thing there. I will also try a "Tiger" pie although mushy peas are also not part of my world. Yes we have mushy peas, I just haven't felt the need to eat them. I will however try them and the sauce on the pie just to prove or disprove my theory that pies are better with gravy, hold the ketchup and the mushy peas.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Tomato sauce on the pie is not a thing in my world. If we finally do get down under I will try it with sauce because it is a thing there. I will also try a "Tiger" pie although mushy peas are also not part of my world. Yes we have mushy peas, I just haven't felt the need to eat them. I will however try them and the sauce on the pie just to prove or disprove my theory that pies are better with gravy, hold the ketchup and the mushy peas.

No on a Tiger you have gravy demolished a couple on Friday.

Plain pie you hav3 the dead horse, one shop near me does a potato top pie with the mushy peas under the spud.

2 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Dont use commercial tomato sauce  Use home made tomato sauce and you'll be hooked  We bought a small jar of bennys real tommo sauce, on our recent travels, tomatoes, capsicum, red onion, brown sugar, sherry vinegar salt and spices.  i buy home made whenever i can as it is so much better.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Dont use commercial tomato sauce  Use home made tomato sauce and you'll be hooked  We bought a small jar of bennys real tommo sauce, on our recent travels, tomatoes, capsicum, red onion, brown sugar, sherry vinegar salt and spices.  i buy home made whenever i can as it is so much better.

Or tomato relish

7 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

No on a Tiger you have gravy demolished a couple on Friday.

Plain pie you hav3 the dead horse, one shop near me does a potato top pie with the mushy peas under the spud.

Thanks for confirming what I thought. I had a look at the Harry's menu and there are several I would like to try. I could probably do 2 without much trouble. Lynn would maybe try the chicken pie but has trouble eating mushrooms if they aren't chopped finely.

With the delay in our trip until after I retire I suspect we will be in Oz for 3 weeks so there will be many opportunities to savour pies in different places.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Thanks for confirming what I thought. I had a look at the Harry's menu and there are several I would like to try. I could probably do 2 without much trouble. Lynn would maybe try the chicken pie but has trouble eating mushrooms if they aren't chopped finely.

With the delay in our trip until after I retire I suspect we will be in Oz for 3 weeks so there will be many opportunities to savour pies in different places.

Mrs Gut (and indeed I) enjoy Harry’s vegetable pie (I have cheese sauce on it), a local bakery used to do a wonderful Chicken and Vegetable Mornay (that I hav3 with no sauce).

the very best pies, 8n my opinion, usually come from small, one off, bakeries.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Mrs Gut (and indeed I) enjoy Harry’s vegetable pie (I have cheese sauce on it), a local bakery used to do a wonderful Chicken and Vegetable Mornay (that I hav3 with no sauce).

I agree.   Our local bakery fits in that category.  Often a sultana scone or two  will be added to my order for free!

• Like 1

I have tomato sauce on a plain meat pie and sometimes bbq sauce on a plain chicken but otherwise if the pies have a particular flavour or other additions ( curry, mushroom, potato, etc) no sauce as I want to taste the pies flavours fully.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

I have tomato sauce on a plain meat pie and sometimes bbq sauce on a plain chicken but otherwise if the pies have a particular flavour or other additions ( curry, mushroom, potato, etc) no sauce as I want to taste the pies flavours fully.

Agreed, I like tomato sauce on a plain beef pie but not on anything else.

1 hour ago, GUT2407 said:

For anyone travelling the Princes Highway in Victoria, between Melbourne and Lakes Entrance, I highly recommend the Old Rosedale Bakery in Rosedale. Very nice pies indeed, possibly the best I've had in recent years.