HURRICANE HARVEY Weather Update #2 – 08/24/17 – 2:30 PM (EST)

Anyislandwilldo

From John Heald's Facebook page.

Tropical Storm Harvey has now been upgraded to a hurricane in the Gulf of Mexico and the Port of Galveston is now closed to all marine traffic. At this time, no changes have been made to any of our Galveston sailings for this weekend and our itineraries remain as scheduled. ...

We will continue to closely monitor Hurricane Harvey’s forecasted track and provide guests with an update by 12:00 PM (CDT) tomorrow.

To stay up to date on any changes, guests are asked to sign up for text alerts by texting the codes below to CRUISE (278473).

Carnival Freedom 08/26/17 - CCL1

Carnival Valor 08/26/17 - CCL2

Carnival Breeze 08/27/17 - CCL3

Silly question? How can the Port be closed but all things are listed as a 'go'.

That's a great question considering weather forecasters are saying Harvey will linger over the same coastal area through the weekend dumping extreme amounts of rain. I'd hate to be on one of the ships coming in to dock in that weather and trying to figure out how I'm going to get off of an island prone to flooding. Locals are already posting that local media are saying much of the island will be shutting down. Nothing like waiting until the last minute Carnival......

Sounds like Carnival is buying time to make alternate plans not yet in place.

From John Heald's Facebook page.

Tropical Storm Harvey has now been upgraded to a hurricane in the Gulf of Mexico and the Port of Galveston is now closed to all marine traffic. At this time, no changes have been made to any of our Galveston sailings for this weekend and our itineraries remain as scheduled. ...

We will continue to closely monitor Hurricane Harvey’s forecasted track and provide guests with an update by 12:00 PM (CDT) tomorrow.

To stay up to date on any changes, guests are asked to sign up for text alerts by texting the codes below to CRUISE (278473).

What an idiotic post by John BS Heald and Carnival.

It is currently closed' date=' but that doesn't mean it will be closed on Saturday. They don't want to make a decision until they have to.[/quote']

But the problem with that is they are royally screwing their customers. Many flights and hotels need 48 hours to be canceled. People in my party have their vacation days set and can't change them, so if they don't get to go here, they don't get a vacation at all this year. Carnival has been going downhill for years now and after this debacle, I doubt I will ever cruise with them again. They need to man the f**k up and make a decision.

It is currently closed' date=' but that doesn't mean it will be closed on Saturday. They don't want to make a decision until they have to.[/quote']

Lol, at this point there's almost no way port of Galveston will be open on Saturday. Not sure what Carnival is thinking.

But the problem with that is they are royally screwing their customers. Many flights and hotels need 48 hours to be canceled. People in my party have their vacation days set and can't change them, so if they don't get to go here, they don't get a vacation at all this year. Carnival has been going downhill for years now and after this debacle, I doubt I will ever cruise with them again. They need to man the f**k up and make a decision.

Agreed, it's unaccapetable at this point to not make a decision. They have no regard for their customers. I would be livid if I had a cruise scheduled this weekend.

Agreed, it's unaccapetable at this point to not make a decision. They have no regard for their customers. I would be livid if I had a cruise scheduled this weekend.

Yeah, I am supposed to be going out on the breeze Sunday, and yeah, I am livid at this point. I've been cruising with them since 09, and their customer service has been going downhill for years. I have insurance through them, but it has to be a severe weather warning within 48 hours to cancel.

So sorry for those of you trying to cruise from Galveston this weekend. I saw this post on another FB page and thought it might be helpful:

Yes, hurricanes suck and ruin vacations... I think the issue is what the longer term situation is for the hurricane. I think it is safe to assume the post will most likely be closed on Saturday... however, the port has not yet officially declared that... once they do, CCL and the other cruise lines will announce alternatives... normally, the ship can dock within a day or two after the storm, but with Harvey forecasted to "hang around" for a few days and "drift" east, the issue is they might not be able to dock for several days. Then there is the issue that many of the transportation companies (which transport people on/off Galveston island) cannot enter/exit the island if there is dangerous winds or evacuations (bridges close at 35 mph winds). So it would be very dangerous to offload thousands of people on an island with no way to get them to safety... so as much as it stinks to not know what is going on, I think there are very complicated logistics involved here... I don't believe it is a consorted effort to misinform people... but yes, it really stinks (says this born and raised Floridian)!

The storm is expected to stall over land and drop up to 30 inches of rain in certain areas, and to linger through Tuesday. It seems doubtful the port will be open soon and many would be able to get there in a tropical storm anyway.

I also suspect they are working on other arrangements.

Yes, hurricanes suck and ruin vacations... I think the issue is what the longer term situation is for the hurricane. I think it is safe to assume the post will most likely be closed on Saturday... however, the port has not yet officially declared that... once they do, CCL and the other cruise lines will announce alternatives... normally, the ship can dock within a day or two after the storm, but with Harvey forecasted to "hang around" for a few days and "drift" east, the issue is they might not be able to dock for several days. Then there is the issue that many of the transportation companies (which transport people on/off Galveston island) cannot enter/exit the island if there is dangerous winds or evacuations (bridges close at 35 mph winds). So it would be very dangerous to offload thousands of people on an island with no way to get them to safety... so as much as it stinks to not know what is going on, I think there are very complicated logistics involved here... I don't believe it is a consorted effort to misinform people... but yes, it really stinks (says this born and raised Floridian)!

Which is exactly why the upcoming cruises should already be cancelled and all efforts should be focused on how and when to get ships to port safely and guests out of Galveston safely.

Which is exactly why the upcoming cruises should already be cancelled and all efforts should be focused on how and when to get ships to port safely and guests out of Galveston safely.

Bingo. CCL just doesn't want to lose all of that money.

Airports open but no flights coming or going either. Strange. Just close.

Carnival will not be able to even get close to Galveston for 3 to 4 days. They are now saying over 40 inches of rain.

Louisiana is in the same mess. Does that not effect New Orleans also?

Guess the wait and see attitude does not work Carnival. Things have to be decided now.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Carnival has been going downhill for years now and after this debacle, I doubt I will ever cruise with them again.
When has Royal Caribbean, Holland America, NCL, or Princess "made a decision" under the same circumstances?

Right now:

LATEST UPDATE:

August 24, 2017 4:37 PM

Royal Caribbean International:

No changes to scheduled itineraries

Carnival Cruise Line:

No changes to scheduled itineraries

http://www.portofgalveston.com/AlertCenter.aspx?AID=TROPICAL-STORM-HARVEY-23

So neither cruise line has made a preemptive decision yet.

Determining that the port will be closed on Saturday is the harbormaster's call, not the cruise line's. Once the harbormaster makes a decision, then the cruise line would need to respond, presumably delaying embarkation until the port reopens. Carnival could make a preemptive decision, but cancelling cruises doesn't make sense. Remember: The ship is supposed to be utilized every day of the week between dry docks, not just now-and-again. At worst, this should result in the ship being unused for no more than a single overnight.

This kind of thing is one of the many reasons we have travel insurance. That helps provide us the advantages we want, in light of difficult circumstances.

Odd question: Is it practicable to redirect the incoming vessel to the Port of New Orleans, and then bus the passengers/truck the luggage? Has a cruise line ever taken such measures in a hurricane?

For reference later:

Carnival Freedom 21.8830299° / -86.716011°

Carnival Valor 21.6985207° / -89.8060379°

Louisiana is in the same mess. Does that not effect New Orleans also?
The hurricane will hit land far to the west of Galveston. It won't extend as far east as New Orleans. They'll get rain, of course, but nothing they can't readily handle. Edited by bUU

It is intensifying much faster than previously forecast. The pressure has dropped rapidly this morning to 952 (last Recon) and winds are now 110mph (but should ramp up fast to follow the rapid drop in pressure) It is also slowing down more than initially anticipated . To follow this storm I suggest Wundergound blogs were you will get data (model runs and direct data from the Recon flights) and meteorologists foresight ahead of Hurricane Center. ( However - always use the National Hurricane Center for evac and warning advice)

On the Freedom now. They announced around 6-6:30 last night that the Port of Galveston was closed and Harvey was a Hurricane. He said we were leaving Cozumel and would be operating a safe distance from Harvey. Lots of folks clapped. He said he would update again by noon today. We'll see what happens. I haven't turned on the TV to see where we are on the map yet but plan to once the wife and kids are awake. My parents are also cruising with us and live in Galveston so they are somewhat concerned about the surge and rainfall. My sister who isn't cruising also lives in Galveston and is preparing her house and my parent's house the best she can, though not much can be done when it comes to the surge and rainfall.

We haven't heard anything about extending the cruise.

If possible, I'll try to update later if we hear anything else and if the internet is working at that time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the Freedom now. They announced around 6-6:30 last night that the Port of Galveston was closed and Harvey was a Hurricane. He said we were leaving Cozumel and would be operating a safe distance from Harvey. Lots of folks clapped. He said he would update again by noon today. We'll see what happens. I haven't turned on the TV to see where we are on the map yet but plan to once the wife and kids are awake. My parents are also cruising with us and live in Galveston so they are somewhat concerned about the surge and rainfall. My sister who isn't cruising also lives in Galveston and is preparing her house and my parent's house the best she can, though not much can be done when it comes to the surge and rainfall.

We haven't heard anything about extending the cruise.

If possible, I'll try to update later if we hear anything else and if the internet is working at that time.

Thanks for the update.

I'm getting random updates when the NHC website will load and my sister and some of my buddies are sending updates through Facebook messenger. Hoping for the best for my truck sitting in my sister's driveway in Galveston and hoping they extend the Cheers package if we don't make it back on time!!

When has Royal Caribbean, Holland America, NCL, or Princess "made a decision" under the same circumstances?

Right now:http://www.portofgalveston.com/AlertCenter.aspx?AID=TROPICAL-STORM-HARVEY-23

So neither cruise line has made a preemptive decision yet.

Determining that the port will be closed on Saturday is the harbormaster's call, not the cruise line's. Once the harbormaster makes a decision, then the cruise line would need to respond, presumably delaying embarkation until the port reopens. Carnival could make a preemptive decision, but cancelling cruises doesn't make sense. Remember: The ship is supposed to be utilized every day of the week between dry docks, not just now-and-again. At worst, this should result in the ship being unused for no more than a single overnight.

This kind of thing is one of the many reasons we have travel insurance. That helps provide us the advantages we want, in light of difficult circumstances.

Odd question: Is it practicable to redirect the incoming vessel to the Port of New Orleans, and then bus the passengers/truck the luggage? Has a cruise line ever taken such measures in a hurricane?

For reference later:

Carnival Freedom 21.8830299° / -86.716011°

Carnival Valor 21.6985207° / -89.8060379°

The hurricane will hit land far to the west of Galveston. It won't extend as far east as New Orleans. They'll get rain, of course, but nothing they can't readily handle.

they can detour to other ports and have before

Feeling for those who have cruises booked. Our Pride cruise in 2012 wasn't canceled until after we were already on the ship (and had lunch!) because of Hurricane Sandy.

It definitely was a let down, but at least we were safe and able to rebook.