Just back from 1st Cruise - addicted!! Celebrity Next??

Shrewsbury on Tour

Hello,

My wife and I have just returned from our first cruise. We loved it. We did a 9 day baltic cruise on the Getaway.

We want to book another ASAP. Possibly Mediterranean or Adriatic. We liked NCL in part, but the food was not great. We have been told that Royal Caribbean and CELBRITY may be better options. The Celebrity Constellation is sailing a route that interests us, does anyone have any thoughts.

Can I ask how formal Celebrity cruises are in comparison to NCL??

Big thanks in advance.

I'm currently doing a review of our baltic cruise.

Connie is a great ship for the Med. Food is definitely better than NCL. Ambience is more adult. Not formal dressy -- what used to be formal nights are now 'Evening Chic.'

http://www.celebritycruises.com.au/life-on-board/onboard-facilities/restaurants-cafes/dining-attire/

NCL is more casual, CELEBRITY is a little dressier. The food, well I did Celebrity in December/January it was good just not outstanding. My NCL cruise this July the food was much better than a year ago,

Biggest difference is the demographic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I may suggest that you consider pricing Celebrity vs NCL w/ specialty dining. My wife and I have actually never had dinner in the main dining room (2 cruises...a TA and Baltic ) because we just really enjoy Le Bistro, Cagney's, Teppanyaki and Lacucina. IMHO, the UBP that NCL provides and those restaurants give NCL the leg up to me

Sent from my SM-G930P using Forums mobile app

We've sailed quite a bit and Celebrity is our absolute favorite. The Getaway is a bit newer ship, I believe, while the Connie (Constellation) is one of Celebrity's older ships. I believe you will still have a great time but the S-class might be a better option unless you don't mind sailing on an older vessel without all the bells and whistles. If itinerary is more important to you, then by all means, I wouldn't hesitate to book on the Connie.

I actually didn't care much for the food on Royal Caribbean but their ships are absolutely gorgeous!!

Shrewsbury- We just did Constellation in June - sailed the Adriatic (Slovenia, Croatia, Montenegro, Italy) round trip from Venice. Great cruise. If you have any questions just ask.

Mightyjoey1 and kim826- I don't quite understand your specialty restaurant advice. You can avoid the main dining room and go to specialty restaurants on just about any ship usually for extra $$ of course. Are you saying it is more necessary to exclusively pay for specialty dining on Norwegian since the MDR food is not good? Never sailed that line. Another option is to book a suite on Celebrity and dine in Luminae which is better than most specialty restaurants IMO. Or book Aqua Class and dine in Blu.

Hmmm. What did you like most about your cruise? I was a Celebrity loyalist for years but was bored by the lack of nightlife and jumped to NCL. As far as entertainment and nightlife goes, X can not compare, in any way, to NCL. X however, does have an exponentially better buffet and their specialties are higher quality...and considerably higher priced. Also, the pool situation is much better on Celebrity. I am considering a return to X with my mother who prefers the relaxation and quieter atmosphere and because it is a more upscale experience, but when going with friends for pure fun, it's NCL for me for now.

Shrewsbury- We just did Constellation in June - sailed the Adriatic (Slovenia, Croatia, Montenegro, Italy) round trip from Venice. Great cruise. If you have any questions just ask.

Mightyjoey1 and kim826- I don't quite understand your specialty restaurant advice. You can avoid the main dining room and go to specialty restaurants on just about any ship usually for extra $$ of course. Are you saying it is more necessary to exclusively pay for specialty dining on Norwegian since the MDR food is not good? Never sailed that line. Another option is to book a suite on Celebrity and dine in Luminae which is better than most specialty restaurants IMO. Or book Aqua Class and dine in Blu.

I assume they meant that a NCL cruise base price plus the cost of dining in specialty restaurants might be cheaper that Celebrity's base price dining only in the MDR - if so, a better deal.

Hi Shrewsbury - perhaps mistakenly I am thinking Shrewsbury UK? If so perhaps consider P&O?

I have not cruised NCL as its appears to be a little too casual as I enjoy the "formal" or "chic" evenings. I would recommend Celebrity but I am sure that you will now try different cruises as you seem to be hooked - like the rest of us.

Ncl deal on specialty dining is a lot better value than celebrity but the main dining in celebrity is better than ncl. You will see a big difference in entertainment between getaway and celebrity, getaway having much more variety. Dress code on ncl is a lot more relaxed than celebrity too.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm very biased to Celebrity. When I first started cruising in 1997 it was NCL on the Norwegian Crown and it was terrific and could not wait to return. I then booked the Norwegian Sea and again awesome. Keep in mind this was a day in time when cruising was much different and you did not have many specialty dining options. After trying 1 Carnival (HUGE mistake) and several Holland America cruises, it was time to branch out. Then came Celebrity and WOW!!!!! Again much different time then to (it was 2003). After the economic downturn from 2008, many of the cruise lines began service cuts. Also cruise taste in customers also changed. Today, Celebrity is like staying at a W Hotel and their branding of Modern Luxury works well. Things are done with a bit more upscale flare and they did a terrific job with the S class ships. I say give Celebrity a try. Holland America was taken over by Carnival years ago and service really slipped. While I would sail them again and they are nice, Celebrity is more my speed.

If you do not mind an older ship cruising the Adriatic, you will love the ports; however, I prefer the S class and the Reflection is my favorite. The Med is also great, but love Greece and Italy., along with the Adriatic. Whatever you choose you will enjoy it. Just be sure that the older ships, M class, won't disappoint you!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums