Carnival credit cards

villagenut

there were a couple posts on another thread about a carnival credit card. I didn't want to hijack that thread so I will pose my questions here.

1. Where is best place to get a carnival credit card?

2. If there are other travel rewards cards that u feel are better, which are they and why?

I think you can apply on Carnival's website. That's the only reason we have one. They were offering credit for opening the account.

There are a lot of better cards out there. Carnival only gives double points on Carnival purchases. Once we collect and apply our points after our December cruise, we will likely go to a different card. Our Capital One card is a bit more flexible than Carnival's when it comes to redeeming points for travel. Our thing is we don't want a card with an annual fee. It's just not worth is for us. If someone does a lot of travel, they may find it worth paying a fee - just doesn't work for us.

We had an older Carnival credit card and they discontinued the program after we had earned a bunch of points. We were told use them or loose them. We managed to book a cruise and were able to use some of the points.

After that fiasco we got rid of the card and use a different cash rewards card. Now we can use the rewards for any cruise line or airline or whatever. This has worked out much better for us by not being held captive to one reward i.e. Carnival. We currently have the Citi card double cash 2% and redeem about $1500-$2000 per year.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Capital One will give a cruise twice as fast as the Venture Card offers double miles on everything. Capital One's fraud department is second to none. Cap One uses a mileage eraser which allows you to book your flights, hotel rooms, cruises and it just credits your account, easy peasey

Capital One will give a cruise twice as fast as the Venture Card offers double miles on everything. Capital One's fraud department is second to none. Cap One uses a mileage eraser which allows you to book your flights, hotel rooms, cruises and it just credits your account, easy peasey

which Capital One card is this? My Capital One card isn't like this.

which Capital One card is this? My Capital One card isn't like this.

Are you referring to the Purchase Eraser? Purchase Eraser is on the Quiksilver card as well.

I won't get the Venture card because the miles can only be redeemed through the Capital One travel site. I wouldn't earn miles/points or get any hotel or airline elite status benefits if I booked through Capital One.

Are you referring to the Purchase Eraser? Purchase Eraser is on the Quiksilver card as well.

I won't get the Venture card because the miles can only be redeemed through the Capital One travel site. I wouldn't earn miles/points or get any hotel or airline elite status benefits if I booked through Capital One.

I think

That's wrong. I have the Capital One Venture Card and I book direct with whatever company I'm utilizing and "erase" the purchase. Not sure where you're getting your (incorrect) info from.

If you're going on a cruise soon, they'll give you free stuff if you apply while onboard. Tote bag, lanyard, ship on a stick is what I got.

While getting free stuff is nice, for me those items you mentioned aren't worth a hard pull on my credit report. A hard pull lowers your credit score(albeit temporarily if you are approved). If I was denied for some stupid reason, those items wouldn't bring my credit score back up.

That's wrong. I have the Capital One Venture Card and I book direct with whatever company I'm utilizing and "erase" the purchase. Not sure where you're getting your (incorrect) info from.

No. You misunderstood what I was referring to. I understand the Purchase Eraser. I was referring to redeeming your miles directly for travel and not erasing the purchase. It is the same problem I have with most miles credit cards. The miles can only be redeemed through that company's travel portal. That or you get the most value when redeeming through their portal.

Here is a link to the Venture card disclosures. There are two ways to redeem miles.

https://www.capitalone.com/credit-cards/venture/#disclosures

No. You misunderstood what I was referring to. I understand the Purchase Eraser. I was referring to redeeming your miles directly for travel and not erasing the purchase. It is the same problem I have with most miles credit cards. The miles can only be redeemed through that company's travel portal. That or you get the most value when redeeming through their portal.

Here is a link to the Venture card disclosures. There are two ways to redeem miles.

https://www.capitalone.com/credit-cards/venture/#disclosures

It makes no sense to redeem through their travel center as it's the same rate either way. I bought a $200 plane ticket direct from the airline. Redeemed 20,000 points to "erase" the purchase once the charge hit the card. I also earned miles when I charged it as well as frequent flier miles for the airline. It's no different. Why wouldn't you want to erase the purchase? You're still not out any money.

It makes no sense to redeem through their travel center as it's the same rate either way. I bought a $200 plane ticket direct from the airline. Redeemed 20,000 points to "erase" the purchase once the charge hit the card. I also earned miles when I charged it as well as frequent flier miles for the airline. It's no different. Why wouldn't you want to erase the purchase? You're still not out any money.

I agree. I am mainly disappointed with similar miles cards that don't have a purchaser eraser option. It also annoys me that those cards give you a lesser value if you don't use their travel site. I want to book direct.

I read several points and miles blogs on Boarding Area. Through that reading and my own research, the Venture card and some other cards are a poor value if you want to redeem for business and first class flights and top hotel suites. Capital One miles are worth at the most $0.01 each.

Other miles/points are generally worth more than that. Those cards come with higher annual fees than the Venture card and there are more restrictions. However, they often give you extra benefits that can make the higher annual fee worth it. If you are a bit flexible, you won't have to spend as many miles with other cards.

With the Venture card can you erase any purchase or just travel purchases? If so, do you get the same redemption rate or less?

While getting free stuff is nice, for me those items you mentioned aren't worth a hard pull on my credit report. A hard pull lowers your credit score(albeit temporarily if you are approved). If I was denied for some stupid reason, those items wouldn't bring my credit score back up.

Well some people enjoy a hard pull.

I agree. I am mainly disappointed with similar miles cards that don't have a purchaser eraser option. It also annoys me that those cards give you a lesser value if you don't use their travel site. I want to book direct.

I read several points and miles blogs on Boarding Area. Through that reading and my own research, the Venture card and some other cards are a poor value if you want to redeem for business and first class flights and top hotel suites. Capital One miles are worth at the most $0.01 each.

Other miles/points are generally worth more than that. Those cards come with higher annual fees than the Venture card and there are more restrictions. However, they often give you extra benefits that can make the higher annual fee worth it. If you are a bit flexible, you won't have to spend as many miles with other cards.

With the Venture card can you erase any purchase or just travel purchases? If so, do you get the same redemption rate or less?

While the rate of redemption may not be as good as some of the higher annual fee cards through their travel sites, I do like the fact that you earn 2 points for every dollar spent on any purchase which is better than a lot of other cards including the Carnival one. Also I like that I don't have to use their travel sites as I prefer to book direct as well. The sign up bonus is enough for $400 worth of free travel which is great. If I'm paying for a hotel (which I haven't done in years), I would use my hotel specific card for that as I get upwards of 5-6 points per dollar spent there.

You can redeem for a statement credit that isn't travel related, but the rate is half as good. So the same $200 would cost you 40,000 points. I also love the fact that I can use it for any travel purchase and I'm not tied down to one cruise line. It's worked out perfect for me and I have no complaints.

We applied while on the ship. We are going to be enjoying our soon upcoming cruise with points from our card. No problems in redemption, no problems with the card.

I haven't had any real issues with it, but I only got it for the initial sign up bonus. Now it sits at home. At only 1 point per dollar spent on regular everyday purchases, there are way better cards out there. You could be earning money towards your cruise or whatever other travel you want to do twice as fast with other cards.

Got the offer in the mail $100 gift card then 10,000 points after first purchase. Works good for us, easy to use the redemption benefits and no annual fee. I use it towards CCL charges of $1500 or more and get 1.5x the redemption perk. Everyone has their favorite card for one reason or another but this one works fine if you are a frequent CCL cruiser.

One of best travel cards is the chase sapphire reserve.

3x ultimate rewards points on all travel and dining. One point is worth $.01 or $.015 cent if redeemed for travel.

Perks include $300 travel credit for anything travel related including airfare, hotel, cruises, even uber. Global entry or Tsa pre reimbursement once every 4 years. Airport lounge access via priority pass. Primary insurance with auto rental. If you pay for any portion of travel with card it also offers free trip cancellation, delay insurance as well as medical care when traveling.

Currently offers 50000 signup but was as high as 100000 at one point in the last year. Points can be redeemed directly at 1:1 ratio for hotel and airline partners or through the chase portal for 1:1.5 ratio

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

yeh, that $20 in gas every 2 weeks will really add up

I use my Venture card, which I mentioned in my OP for everything, including work related purchases. The purchase eraser is the best, book whereever you want, expedia, priceline and reimburse your purchases, also no foreign transaction fees

yeh, that $20 in gas every 2 weeks will really add up

I use my Venture card, which I mentioned in my OP for everything, including work related purchases. The purchase eraser is the best, book whereever you want, expedia, priceline and reimburse your purchases, also no foreign transaction fees

Its the 3% for travel and restaurants that brings the value to the card.