October Weather

slyster

We are traveling at the very beginning of October (Sept 28-Oct. 7). I am wondering what kind of clothes we should bring. I have the feeling it will be bring everything LOL. I live near Baltimore, MD and I know that time of year still is pretty mild...in the 70s...but I wasn't sure about the further north we go.

We are traveling on a 9 night cruise so I don't want to over pack. Should I plan on cool and warmer weather or is it safe assume it will be cool enough that jeans will be more comfortable than shorts?

Thanks in Advance...

You probably won't want shorts, at least when you get up north. Highs average in the high 50's and at night you'll be seeing in the low 40's. Mother nature being itself though, it could be warmer, or colder, than average. The week before you leave, you should check the forecast as that should give a much better ballpark.

Check weather.com for the weather before you leave for your cruise.

I would bring/pack both kinds of clothing. It is usually around 50*+ in the morning around those months (Sept-Oct).

However, mother nature (weather can change) at anytime and if you are going to be walking a lot for your shore excursions - I would wear short sleeves with a light jacket (if it too warm, you can put it in your purse).

Remember to pack an umbrella in case it would rain. :)

I would not bother with shorts. You will want a waterproof jacket (gore tex type fabric) with a hood. Have a fleece zip sweater as well. I would tuck a tiny warm hat and gloves in my bag as well, especially for on the ship.

We can get warm days in the sun but the air is still cool.

A couple of things.

Weather is not the same year over year. It can be rainy, sunny, cloudy, windy, warm to hot (yes even that time of year) or chilly.

Check the weather a few days before you leave.

And be sure to layer.

I've done similar voyages a few times around this time of year and each time the weather was different.

Keith

FredZiffle, I've never checked out the weather.base.com web site but just did. That's an easy one to get the overall monthly historical weather. I use Weather Underground which I can look at down to the day but for a fast look I like the one you just shared.

Keith

Oh sorry. New England and Canada. Boston, Portland and Bar Harbor Maine, Halifax, and Saint John

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A lot depends on what you are used to weather wise and if you are used to cooler weather. We have sailed that itinerary twice, the week after your sailing, but from Boston, not Bayonne. One sailing, there were people in the pools before we left port and we were in shorts the whole week as we were in the 70's all week. Other sailing was much cooler, but we still wore shorts in Portland since it was a warm day.

We live outside Boston and will wear shorts as late into the fall as we can. :D