ReliefBand for Motion Sickness?

Saw a FB ad about a product called ReliefBand. It's a different take on the SeaBands, giving a pulse to the same acupressure spot instead of just the pressure. Has anyone used this? Reviews & thoughts?

I usually need to take Bonine starting 2 days before travel to 2 days after a cruise. I take it at night & sleep off most of the heaviest drowsiness.

This band has a pretty steep price point but I spend at least $100 motion sickness meds a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I usually need to take Bonine starting 2 days before travel to 2 days after a cruise. I take it at night & sleep off most of the heaviest drowsiness.

This band has a pretty steep price point but I spend at least $100 motion sickness meds a year.

Then you're buying it from the wrong place. Good lord, you can buy 100 tablets of Meclizine (generic or store brands of Bonine) for a little over $6!!

Unless she travels a lot.

I don't care if she travels 365 days every year. Even if she took Meclizine tablets every day, that's only around $20. And you can buy them cheap from Amazon (the Rugby brand is an dxample).

Was thinking the same thing about her cost of Meclizine!

I'm extremely prone to motion sickness so we always have it on hand. 100 tabs of 12.5 mg at Costco - $3.79. That's 2600 plus tabs. OK - worst case scenario, 650+ doses (each tab is 12.5 mg and you can take up to 50 mg at a time) but since each dose lasts up to 24 hours, that's still 1.8 years worth taking max dose daily.......

Acupressure is a junk science. It sounds very official, but there's really nothing to it other than the placebo effect (and the fact that motion sickness naturally becomes less severe with a period of acclimatization.) If you buy any sort of bracelet for seasickness, you're basically paying to believe you've cured yourself. Personally, I wouldn't recommend financially supporting any product that's a proven fake, so I'd recommend Dramamine instead.

Acupressure is a junk science. It sounds very official, but there's really nothing to it other than the placebo effect (and the fact that motion sickness naturally becomes less severe with a period of acclimatization.) If you buy any sort of bracelet for seasickness, you're basically paying to believe you've cured yourself. Personally, I wouldn't recommend financially supporting any product that's a proven fake, so I'd recommend Dramamine instead.

The medical profession will disagree with you. The extensive studies and attempts to prove it has no effect have failed, so acupressure is now accepted.

The devices are sometimes over hyped and the same results can be accomplished with hands and fingers.

The original dramamine has chemicals that are known to cause drowsiness, however, meclizene is much less likely to have that side effect.

The medical profession will disagree with you. The extensive studies and attempts to prove it has no effect have failed, so acupressure is now accepted.

Er...I'd love to see some sources for this. No study has ever proven Seabands to be more effective than placebo.

All the research I've done has pointed towards Seabands being placebo. So...I guess we are at an impasse.

I am inclined to agree with you - not based upon specific Seabands research, but upon years at sea observing people adjusting to ships' motion- as well as a fair amount of reading on "placebo effect".

A fairly significant contributor to seasickness is attitude; and placebo effect is based upon attitude. While there probably is provable, effective intervention from taking Dramimine - there is also the placebo effect of feeling

that one is preventing seasickness by taking it.

The point is: there is ample anecdotal evidence showing that Seabands work -so what is the problem? If someone can (non-scientifically) prevent seasickness through a placebo effect, isn't that a better outcome than preventing seasickness through the ingestion of chemicals which have side effects not caused by Seabands?

The problem is that it's wasting your money and financially contributing to a scam product. I have a huge problem with companies using deceptive marketing to trick people into thinking that they are offering a bona-fide cure. The same "what's the harm?" thinking is what has caused so many homeopathic remedies to wind up on store shelves right next to legitimate medicine, and people who don't know any better grab it instead of the actual, working medicine because they can't tell the difference from the package.

All snake oil is bad and has ramifications beyond a single individual buying it for the placebo effect.

My granddaughter eats ginger candies - from Trader Joe's I think - and no longer gets seasick. This from a child who once created a haz mat alert in the mdr by throwing up all over the place! We laugh about it now but it was not so funny when it happened. She packs Dramamine as a back up but hasn't used it in years.

My mom bought me Sea bands when i was just about 11. They worked. I was 11 and didn't even know what the word placebo was. I still use them on a regular basis to even go 30 min to the next town over when my husband drives. If I'm feeling queasy on a long trip I'll often look down and notice one of my bands have slipped or twisted.

Back to the actual topic, I bought a relief band for my cruise in 2 weeks. I'm excited to try it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

I was 11 and didn't even know what the word placebo was.

To be fair, there is no reason why someone would have to know about the placebo effect to be affected by it. If anything, knowing about the placebo effect makes you less likely to experience it.

I'm just saying that there is anecdotal evidence for everything. Everyone and their brother has a relative who smoked a pack a day and lived to be 100—but the empirical evidence shows that smoking is still bad for your health. All of the empirical evidence points to Seabands not working, so I cannot recommend them to anyone.

To be fair, there is no reason why someone would have to know about the placebo effect to be affected by it. If anything, knowing about the placebo effect makes you less likely to experience it.

I'm just saying that there is anecdotal evidence for everything. Everyone and their brother has a relative who smoked a pack a day and lived to be 100—but the empirical evidence shows that smoking is still bad for your health. All of the empirical evidence points to Seabands not working, so I cannot recommend them to anyone.

You keep ignoring the most important fact: THEY WORK!

They probably do not work for medical/scientific reasons - but for very many people they do work. You may not like accepting the generally accepted notion that, in certain cases - such as seasickness - PLACEBOS WORK.

Isn't that what people want? And, if people get what they want for their money are they being cheated?

Try to broaden your understanding.