Live: Silver Muse -Lisbon to Montreal 8/31-9/28

Focused1

Thanks Focused1, we can't wait to join you in Southampton. My DW has a question about the Spa. Do they have foam rolling clases or at least the foam rollers? This is not a high priority for me, but it is for my DW. In your travels around the ship maybe you could ask someone that works in the Spa? Maybe someone else that has been on the Muse would know? Looking forward to your posts as we count down the days before flying to the UK.

Have a fantastic trip Joy...I can't believe that it's 7 years ago that we did the transatlantic on the Silver Spirit.

Very keen to hear your thoughts about the Silver Muse and whether you think it would be a good ship for solos.

Cheers

Jennifer

... La Terraza for a leisurely lunch. We like the layout and new design of the restaurant compared to the Whisper, Shadow and Spirit. Larger and better organized buffet area plus dining area tables have plenty of room in between them.... .

That is nice to hear ,,, thanks.

Thanks Focused1, we can't wait to join you in Southampton. My DW has a question about the Spa. Do they have foam rolling clases or at least the foam rollers? This is not a high priority for me, but it is for my DW. In your travels around the ship maybe you could ask someone that works in the Spa? Maybe someone else that has been on the Muse would know? Looking forward to your posts as we count down the days before flying to the UK.

I didn't see anything posted re foam rollers but I will ask tomorrow.

Focused1 -

We will also be on Deck 11 and am not happy that my "unmentionables" will not have space in a drawer in the closet. Do they have the cabinet under the TV in the bedroom similar to the Spirit where I might stash them?

In the Silver Suites there are no drawers in the closet or bedrooms. In fact, there are no cabinets at all in the living area either. Had to stash all of the unmentionables in the lower part of the walkin closet.

Have a fantastic trip Joy...I can't believe that it's 7 years ago that we did the transatlantic on the Silver Spirit.

Very keen to hear your thoughts about the Silver Muse and whether you think it would be a good ship for solos.

Cheers

Jennifer

I was hoping I would see you on this cruise, Jennifer!

Another great day on the Silver Muse after a very rocky night and arrived in Porto, Portugal. Room service breakfast was delivered promptly at 7 a.m. Then we headed out on an excellent SS shore excursion to the birthplace of Portugal, the historic city of Guimaraes about 30 miles from Porto. Most of the Porto city excursions were cancelled due to a major event in the city as all roads into the city were shut down.

Dinner this evening in Atlantide was so-so. Service was slow and our fish entrees were extremely salty. I chalk up the slow service to the need to accommodate folks who had reservations at the outside venues as it was too cold and windy to sit outside. Regarding reservations, there are many passengers, as mentioned in previous postings, that were not aware of the restaurant reservation requirements. However, Silversea seems to have no problem working them in (as per comments heard from these passengers).

To answer Jennifer's question re solo travelers, there is a hosted table each night in one of the restaurants for solos. And because Silversea seems to have somewhat worked out the problems with their all-reservation policy, there is some flexibility to join others or combine tables on an impromptu basis.

... as it was too cold and windy to sit outside... .

Windy for sure, but too cold at the end of August / beginning of September, must be strange weather. In any case, as you are on the voyage right before ours, we read your posting with enthusiasm and imagination!

I should know the answer to this, but which restaurants are open for lunch on the Muse? I'm hoping that Indochine is open midday in addition to LT, and the two casual restaurants near the pool.

Haven't seen Indochine open for lunch yet. So far it has only been Scaccanapoli, Atlantide, La Terrazza and the Grill. I did notice that Kaiseki will be open for lunch tomorrow.

Ported in La Coruna today and took a taxi to Santiago De Compostello (about 50 Km away) where we met up with some family members. Santiago is a UNESCO world heritage site and an amazing preservation of solid granite buildings some going back to the 11th century. Well worth a visit.

Explored the ship a little more and walked through the boutiques(not much to look at) and had coffee in the Arts Cafe. I have to say, Silver Muse missed the mark on this venue in terms of the decor and atmosphere. It's just doesn't have a comfortable feel to it although the capachino was excellent.

Also visited the observation lounge on Deck 11-- a nice, quiet place to relax and read. Dinner, again, in La Terrazza, was enjoyable (eggplant Parmesan and veal chop served like Wiener schnitzel). This is such a busy venue and it is difficult to get the attention of the waiter when you need him. But, so far, the food has been very good. The

Since we were exhausted from our excursion in Santiago, we decided to call it a night. Sailing on to Gijon, Spain.

Focused1- thanks for taking time to post on your vacation. Just wondering, have they gone back to the regular ship-wide dress for the evening or is it still determined by venue. My SS agent said they were going to go to ship-wide dress code in September, with the other dining changes at the end of October. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Focused1, hope you do not mind me sharing our good friends--long time Silversea frequent floaters--"Musings" on the Lisbon to Montreal portion of your long Muse voyage.

Our friends initial impressions begin:

On the new Silversea ship, the Muse...shes beautiful....first day service and food outstanding

Wes--we look forward to your Muse impressions (cuisine, service, hardware) and of course we want to hear how your husband likes (or not) the jogging track

2 days in Wes and Ida...so impressed..we are just loving everything about the ship, food, service, bedrooms, and all bars and restaurants..full ship since inauguration.....you would love it...first class all the way

3rd day in still haven't changed our minds

Wes--Thanks for the Muse follow up. So nice to hear you have added to your Silversea ship loves. Have y'all enjoyed the entertainment in theater? How about the CD and entertainment staff and daytime activities are they doing a good job too. ..

3rd day wes...haven't gone to entertainment shows yet..enjoying our dinner experiences too much. The Cd is Jimmy..you might know him...HD is Paolo...Sommelier experience in restaurants we have tried so far outstanding....daytime activities as we are in a port every day they don't really have besides your usual games..but we never participate anyway..we would rate the service A+++++...they have the best team

Sommeliers in each restaurant....totally different than the other ships...gym is good

Edited by WesW

Ported in La Coruna today and took a taxi to Santiago De Compostello (about 50 Km away) where we met up with some family members. Santiago is a UNESCO world heritage site and an amazing preservation of solid granite buildings some going back to the 11th century. Well worth a visit.

Great to hear that you made it to Santiago De Compostello. YES, it is very much worth a visit. During our June Silver Spirit sailing, we made it this charming and historic site. Lots of pictures and details for Lisbon, Porto, NW Spain, etc., are on my live/blog connected below. Keep up the great sharing. Look forward to reading more with all of your upcoming adventures.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Just finished June 2017 sailing from Portugal to France along the scenic Atlantic Coast, plus great pre- and post-cruise experiences. Many interesting pictures and details on history, food, culture, etc., from my live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

We have been to S de C and were lucky enough to attend a pilgrim's mass. They "flew" the botofumerio (sp?), the big smoking sputnick that flies near the church ceiling belching incense. OMG! What an experience!!!! I hope you had a chance to enjoy that....very special, as was the entire town.

Focused1- thanks for taking time to post on your vacation. Just wondering, have they gone back to the regular ship-wide dress for the evening or is it still determined by venue. My SS agent said they were going to go to ship-wide dress code in September, with the other dining changes at the end of October. Thanks

Dress code is still determined by venue. I am told that changes will be made in mid-October.

Dress code is still determined by venue. I am told that changes will be made in mid-October.

Changes in dress code and/or making it ship-wide could stir lots of discussions and debate here at Cruise Critic. Not sure I look forward to those "battles". There are a wide variety of viewpoints as to how "flexible" or tight to make the dress code requirements.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 185,874 views for this posting.

Changes in dress code and/or making it ship-wide could stir lots of discussions and debate here at Cruise Critic. Not sure I look forward to those "battles". There are a wide variety of viewpoints as to how "flexible" or tight to make the dress code requirements.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 185,874 views for this posting.

I believe the change will be a return to "normal" in terms of more open dining vs reservations in all venues, plus the usual 1 formal night per 7 days, etc. Certainly think that SS loyalists will be pleased not upset about that.

I believe the change will be a return to "normal" in terms of more open dining vs reservations in all venues, plus the usual 1 formal night per 7 days, etc. Certainly think that SS loyalists will be pleased not upset about that.

That's what we understand. Not sure where Terry gets his 'battles view' from. The vast majority of regular SS cruisers will happy.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That's what we understand. Not sure where Terry gets his 'battles view' from. The vast majority of regular SS cruisers will happy.

Dress code "discussions" on Cruise Critic, in general, seem to get fairly polarized. Personally, I can kind of live with "things" one way or the other. My wife would like more flexibility. Long-term, most cruise lines know that those younger, in general, are not quite as strong in wanting dress codes to be as strict. Respectfully, maybe "battle" is too strong of a word with some on the Silversea board, but not all agree as to where the future should or will be heading.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 219,270 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Sorry to have fallen off the grid for a few days but unfortunately have been ill since two nights ago. On the mend now. So, although I cannot comment further on the ship amenities since I have been confined to my suite, I can comment on the excellent medical services provided to me by the physician and nurses plus room service.

We have been docked in Bordeaux since yesterday and I have a lovely view of the city from my verandah. Visited here several years ago so I am not feeling sad about missing the tours or sites. Hoping that tomorrow is better as we head to Belle Ile this evening.

Sailing off the north coast of France towards St Malo. Finally able to venture out after 3 days of room service due to illness. I can certainly vouch for the top quality of room service. You can also order directly from the pizza restaurant and the staff will deliver and set up your table with linens and tableware, as well.

Used the spa services and was overall pleased with it and no heavy pressure to purchase products.

i do think the general sentiment on the Silver Muse, overall, is a discontent of the "atmosphere" due to the design and decor which has already been stated by previous passengers- dislike of the large Dolce Vita lounge (heard someone call it "the hanger.") and the dining reservation issue. However, service/crew are exceptional.