Whales, Moose, Bear

LoveCoffee

We are in the beginning stages of planning our Summer 2019 Alaskan Cruise. A group of adults 45-65 yrs old. The 2019 itineraries aren't out yet, but we know we want HAL w/the land tour that includes the Yukon & Denali, then a 7day cruise which hits the main ports and Glacier Bay. So, for bears/salmon, is midJuly ok? What about Whales? We are now trying to figure out a month. Seems May/June is recommended, but we read we won't see bear then... when are whales most likely to be seen? We know it's all about compromise, but we'd love to go when our chances of bear, moose, and whales are high . . . thanks.

Ketchikan is a popular area for bear viewing tours. The most successful tours are linked to salmon runs. You can read about the prime viewing spots in this link:

http://www.experienceketchikan.com/bear-viewing-in-alaska.html

Some of those areas require permits and book up almost a yr in advance, so be sure to research. The Alaska Fish and Game site is another resource.

Denali is the budget location for bear viewing! An 8hr shuttle to Eielson is only about $35.

Whale watching is popular in Icy Strait Point and Juneau. They're around all summer feeding.

I've seen a moose or 2 at Denali, usually within the first 10 miles of the park road. And along the hwy grazing foe several miles north and south of the park entrance. (But more often on road trips around homer, and along the Richardson hwy between Fairbanks and Valdez.)

You will find lots of resources for your research and planning in this link.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2347988&highlight=resources

Edited by mapleleaves

We are in the beginning stages of planning our Summer 2019 Alaskan Cruise. A group of adults 45-65 yrs old. The 2019 itineraries aren't out yet, but we know we want HAL w/the land tour that includes the Yukon & Denali, then a 7day cruise which hits the main ports and Glacier Bay. So, for bears/salmon, is midJuly ok? What about Whales? We are now trying to figure out a month. Seems May/June is recommended, but we read we won't see bear then... when are whales most likely to be seen? We know it's all about compromise, but we'd love to go when our chances of bear, moose, and whales are high . . . thanks.

We did a May 7 day land followed by a 7 day sea in Alaska.We saw bears in Denali.

If you check the HAL site you'll find that they normally ony have 3 or 4 day cruise attached. Yukon cruise tours embark or dis embark in Skagway. You probably could add another 7 day cruise back to Vancouver.

I completed the cruise plus three days in Denali in June 2017. After thinking of adding the Yukon, I realized the all of that bus riding was just too much. The bus riding, 9 hours from Seward to Denali, convinced me that I had made the right decision. We did stop every 90 minutes during the bus ride. Add an additional 8 hours of bus riding in Denali the next day and I now have a great dislike for bus riding.

Whales are quite prevalent in Juneau in May through the summer months and the calves are very active jumpers.

Grizzly bears and moose are in Denali as well as in the wildlife sanctuary just off the highway ride from Seward to Denali.

Here is a link to my cruise/land (7-day cruise and then Denali) tour:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/place/alaska-2/denali/

I recommend any whale-watching excursion in Juneau, Bering Sea Crab Fishing in Ketchikan if you love to photograph lots of eagle swooping down to feed on fish from the boat, and the Lake Bennett train ride in Skagway.

Feel free to ask lots of questions as there are lots of experienced Alaska cruisers on this Forum.

For wildlife, it requires taking EVERY opportunity available for viewing. With cruisetours, the fixed times are a negative and their included "tours" are NOT enough. When I go to Denali- I go in at least 3 days, I haven't considered less for over 10 years. THEN you can really see difference that a single day makes. With Denali it is Distance that matter, and my opinion it has to be at least Eielson. :) HAL does do a better job than some cruise tours with their double Denali itineraries. Are there tours offered this season, that have the itinerary you want? As mentioned, many Yukon tours are only have half cruises involved.

For bears, you need to determine - what you want to see and what type of bears? Have your sighting on browns and salmon? Then my choice would absolutely be Katami/ Lake Clark , mid to end of July. which isn't offered with any "cruise tour".

If you check the HAL site you'll find that they normally ony have 3 or 4 day cruise attached. Yukon cruise tours embark or dis embark in Skagway. You probably could add another 7 day cruise back to Vancouver.

HAL has Y1L which begins at the Fairmont Airport Vancouver (1 night), flies to Whitehorse (2 nights), bus to Dawson City (2 nights) flight to Fairbanks (2 nights), bus to Denali for three nights, train to Anchorage (2 night) ,train to Seward to board the ship. We did it this year. It ends with a 7 day cruise.