Elation Dry Dock

jc4me

There is another thread posted earlier today from this same cruise I believe...not good at all...says ship should be scrapped and it is definitely not ready for passengers....do you think maybe just the different in seeing the glass half full or half empty?

I would bet you are right about the half full/half empty thing. Some people just live to complain. If you follow John Heald at all, you’ll see that there are a bunch of people who do nothing but complain about Carnival stuff. It’s a shame that some people just can’t be pleased.

In fairness, I’m sure I would be disappointed too if lots of things were broken and there were workers making noise overnight. But at the same time, you have to decide to relax and try to enjoy your vacation.

The ship will get better. The staff will improve (or get enough complaints that they’ll be let go). Life goes on. Grab a fruity drink and relax.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would bet you are right about the half full/half empty thing. Some people just live to complain. If you follow John Heald at all, you’ll see that there are a bunch of people who do nothing but complain about Carnival stuff. It’s a shame that some people just can’t be pleased.

In fairness, I’m sure I would be disappointed too if lots of things were broken and there were workers making noise overnight. But at the same time, you have to decide to relax and try to enjoy your vacation.

The ship will get better. The staff will improve (or get enough complaints that they’ll be let go). Life goes on. Grab a fruity drink and relax.

(y)(y)(y)

Per my earlier comment, I was on the Oct 7 sailing that ended this morning. Here is a link to some pics:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/BtmTtQZPfPNfUuXJ2

This was my 33rd cruise, all with Carnival. I have enjoyed all, including this sailing. That said, I would not knowingly book the first cruise after a drydock again because of all of the hiccups. Some hiccups were understandable, others were questionable and seemingly avoidable (and frankly, some felt like Carnival worrying more about the bottom line than their reputation or customer satisfaction). This was supposed to be the third cruise after drydock if not for Irma.

Those expecting a brand-new ship from stem-to-stern will be disappointed: some areas of the ship appeared brand new (because they were), and other areas appeared every day of their 20 years.

I hope you like the pics!

Wow, I was going to take this ship as a last minute cruise as the port is only half an hour away, but I doubt now I want to waste any money on this ship. I know they said she was getting the Alchemy Bar and what a disappointment they didn't even do that, its just a simple bar area, doesn't take up much room have no idea why they didn't include that? Other than adding balcony cabins which we always get and love, I don't see much of a change other than the few items they added but to me I never use them such as Guys Burgers and Red Frog and Blue Iguana bars....

I figured they wouldn't be done with everything when the first sailing came up and I also doubt this ship would be what we all expect after a makeover/improvement dry dock, but to be honest, this is very disappointing.....if I were booked on this ship I would of cancelled it. Sorry just speaking how I feel.

Per my earlier comment, I was on the Oct 7 sailing that ended this morning. Here is a link to some pics:

This was my 33rd cruise, all with Carnival. I have enjoyed all, including this sailing. That said, I would not knowingly book the first cruise after a drydock again because of all of the hiccups. Some hiccups were understandable, others were questionable and seemingly avoidable (and frankly, some felt like Carnival worrying more about the bottom line than their reputation or customer satisfaction). This was supposed to be the third cruise after drydock if not for Irma.

Those expecting a brand-new ship from stem-to-stern will be disappointed: some areas of the ship appeared brand new (because they were), and other areas appeared every day of their 20 years.

Awesome pics. Thanks for sharing. I sail March 1. How did you get so many good shots with hardly anyone around ?! ;)

You mean everybody who paid for Oceanview is going to get off free and receive a balcony? I recall this happening in the past and Carnival charged extra and those who didn't pay, they were cancelled.

I don't recall such a situation ever happening on any line where a room was upgraded during refurbishment and booked guests asked to pay more or be cancelled.

There is another thread posted earlier today from this same cruise I believe...not good at all...says ship should be scrapped and it is definitely not ready for passengers....do you think maybe just the different in seeing the glass half full or half empty?

I think it has become industry norm to rush drydocks and then finish up clean up during the first few weeks back in revenue service, unfortunately.

Enjoyed the photos!

I'm looking for a "newer" looking ship. As long as the bed is comfortable, the food is as good as usual, and the fruity drinks don't run out I'm good. I'll be on vacation with my family and not dealing with convicts!:D

Other things I forgot to mention:

- if you didn't notice in the pictures I posted, the new TVs in the cabins were quite large (we had an inside porthole, so we assume that everyone gets one),

- most of the public areas had brand-new carpeting, including the Lido buffet area with the filthy tile;p

- upholstery on furniture in most areas (including the theaters) either replaced or cleaned exceptionally well

- the mini golf was a bit of a disappointment. It's cramped, and looks like somone ran to Michael's at the last minute, bought some felt off the clearance endcap, and went to town. However, it's in a good location.

- We didn't realize until the last day that there was no running track, as we use elliptical machines. (Don't flame me for exercising on vacation. Believe me, by the end of the week the cake and Guy's Burgers won.) Speaking of which...

- the gym was remodelled and had either new or reconditioned equipment. (Don't worry, it still looks like it belongs in a prison.) Of eight elliptical machines, only two worked correctly.

Again, it's the dedicated crew on the ship that will bring us back again to Carnival. Not the staff at the customer service desk, but those in the dining rooms and cabins. They're the ones that really represent what customer service should be, and they'll give you the real lowdown.

Great pics thanks for sharing my gf and myself will be cruising on her Dec 11th .To us as long as we have a comfortable bed ,good location ,all is good cruising on Carnival and get's us outta dirty myrtle for a albeit brief respite ,it's a good cpl of days of relaxation .

We will be cruising her on December 11th as well - not happy about no running track though. Love starting my cruising days on the track.[emoji16]

Thanks for sharing the comments and the pics. We are in a porthole cabin as well so particularly like the cabin pics.

Kim

...the pictures I posted...

Thank you SO much for posting such great pictures. I really appreciate it. Your pictures are better than pictures on Carnival's own site. I really love seeing such detailed photos of the work that they have done. And your beauty shot of the ship (form HMC) is just perfect.

Great Pics! Thank you for sharing them. We booked a sailing mid Nov without even knowing it was going to dry dock. Just worked out being Jaxport & the dates. Our last cruise was on Elation and it showed its wear and tear then so when we found out that it was being dry docked and getting upgraded it was a bonus to us. Shame about the Alchemy bar not being added as I don't remember the Gatsby bar ever having anyone at it except right before or after shows. Not that I minded as I could get drinks quickly...I also don't recall seeing Carnival actually state that it was getting Alchemy. Just 2.0 upgrades which people assumed it would get it.

All the upgrades will be new to us as its been awhile since we cruised last.

A quick question about the ports: Did they look ok or did you notice damage from the storms?

I'm glad you're enjoying the pics and comments.

Yet more tidbits (sorry, they just keep popping in my head - stuff I'd want to know):

• the cabins now include an empty fridge under the desk, which we used all week to store our sodas, champagne, and desserts from lido lunch to save for a midnight snack. (For some reason we generally like the lunchtime desserts more than the evening desserts).
  • while there's a stool under the desk, the rooms no longer include a chair. gives you more room, but we would have preferred a chair.
  • Loved the layout of the shelving and closets- wish I'd taken more pics to post, but I hope the one I posted gives a good idea.
  • I don't believe the Elation cabins used to include a hairdryer, but FWIW they do now, and they don't suck. leave yours at home
  • We sailed Elation last December; they have since replaced the shiny blue cushions on the serenity deck with some woven grey things. Also, they didn't put up the yellow umbrellas all week, even though we saw one of the crewmembers walking around with on on the serenity deck one morning.
  • We've sailed on several larger ships with Guy's and Blue Iguana. On the Elation, they also use Guy's as a breakfast station with omlets to order. Few people seemed to realize it as there was never a line for omlets or breakfast buffet at Guy's - I recommend checking it out instead of standing in the longer lines inside.

I'm glad you're enjoying the pics and comments.

Yet more tidbits (sorry, they just keep popping in my head - stuff I'd want to know):

• the cabins now include an empty fridge under the desk, which we used all week to store our sodas, champagne, and desserts from lido lunch to save for a midnight snack. (For some reason we generally like the lunchtime desserts more than the evening desserts).
  • while there's a stool under the desk, the rooms no longer include a chair. gives you more room, but we would have preferred a chair.
  • Loved the layout of the shelving and closets- wish I'd taken more pics to post, but I hope the one I posted gives a good idea.
  • I don't believe the Elation cabins used to include a hairdryer, but FWIW they do now, and they don't suck. leave yours at home
  • We sailed Elation last December; they have since replaced the shiny blue cushions on the serenity deck with some woven grey things. Also, they didn't put up the yellow umbrellas all week, even though we saw one of the crewmembers walking around with on on the serenity deck one morning.
  • We've sailed on several larger ships with Guy's and Blue Iguana. On the Elation, they also use Guy's as a breakfast station with omlets to order. Few people seemed to realize it as there was never a line for omlets or breakfast buffet at Guy's - I recommend checking it out instead of standing in the longer lines inside.

Great news on the refrigerators and hair dryers!! Thanks for sharing so much wonderful information :)

I have read for years on these boards to never sail a ship on her first cruise out of dry dock, that there are always hiccups. Even with that Elation's dry dock got interrupted by one of the hurricanes and had to sail out of dry dock for a few days, work continued, but not at the pace they had planned, so I am sure that didn't help matters at all either.

I, too, prefer the smaller ships and I LOVE the pictures previously posted. Very much looking forward to our cruise on her in May! Hopefully all the hiccups will be worked out by then.. ;)

And I have to add my disappointment in no Alchemy Bar. My husband and I really love that place and were very disappointed in its location on the Magic. Kinda shoved in a hallway between the lounge with live music and the Red Frog Pub. It was always loud & noisy and cramped. We were looking forward to one more like on the Liberty and Sunshine to be placed on the Elation where you can relax, make new friends, plenty of room to sit and while there was live music across the way, it wasn't right next to you.

I did watch a news report on the upgrades on one of the Jacksonville TV station webpages and it said the entire back half of the ship was now 'family friendly' - did they move the Serenity deck? On the Fantasy and Fascination it was at the very back of the ship.

c494d8c32ca5ee5a27adfab7a28eefc9.jpg

I started that thread. Yeah, I guess you're right. Shoulda just enjoyed the pool in our room and not complained

I have read for years on these boards to never sail a ship on her first cruise out of dry dock, that there are always hiccups. Even with that Elation's dry dock got interrupted by one of the hurricanes and had to sail out of dry dock for a few days, work continued, but not at the pace they had planned, so I am sure that didn't help matters at all either.

I, too, prefer the smaller ships and I LOVE the pictures previously posted. Very much looking forward to our cruise on her in May! Hopefully all the hiccups will be worked out by then.. ;)

And I have to add my disappointment in no Alchemy Bar. My husband and I really love that place and were very disappointed in its location on the Magic. Kinda shoved in a hallway between the lounge with live music and the Red Frog Pub. It was always loud & noisy and cramped. We were looking forward to one more like on the Liberty and Sunshine to be placed on the Elation where you can relax, make new friends, plenty of room to sit and while there was live music across the way, it wasn't right next to you.

I did watch a news report on the upgrades on one of the Jacksonville TV station webpages and it said the entire back half of the ship was now 'family friendly' - did they move the Serenity deck? On the Fantasy and Fascination it was at the very back of the ship.

That Jacksonville TV report was exaggerated. The entire 'back half' (more like back-fourth) of the ship now includes the adults-only Serenity deck where it was before, the two outside lido patios above that, and the new Waterworks water slide park on top (which replaced a second pool and additional hot tubs.)