Help Please! BEST ROUTES to Galveston for Sept. 3rd Cruise

Now that our cruise is a go for this weekend on Liberty of the Seas, I would like to know from people down in the Houston/Galveston area what are the best roads to take.

I know there are websites that I can go to that likely would be updated, but I would like to rely on what are no doubt a lot of cruise critic members from that area to provide me with their best routes, from IAH to Galveston (our route since we are flying into this airport), Hobby to Galveston (others on here are likely flying into Hobby and could use this info), and Dallas to Galveston (my brother and his family are driving from Dallas and I know others may be flying into Dallas and driving down).

I know there are other threads on here about Harvey and the flooding, etc, but a lot of those were focused on what is happening, will they cruise/won't they cruise, etc. This is a thread to help all of us that now know the cruise is now leaving, with or without us, and want to get down to Galveston safely and fin the best route in doing so.

Thank you so much for your help and may God bless all of you down in this area and others who were affected by the storm! I truly wish for the best for you and that you all will be able to get back on your feet as quickly as possible and return to normal life!

I know there are websites that I can go to that likely would be updated, but I would like to rely on what are no doubt a lot of cruise critic members from that area to provide me with their best routes, from IAH to Galveston (our route since we are flying into this airport), Hobby to Galveston (others on here are likely flying into Hobby and could use this info), and Dallas to Galveston (my brother and his family are driving from Dallas and I know others may be flying into Dallas and driving down).

You have answered your own question (bolded above). Except for the word "likely", driving map websites and aps ARE updated and will give you the most accurate information.

Enjoy your cruise

The truth is that it changes constantly, as the flooding that is still coming from upstream rolls into the area, but I-45 is the best route from all 3 of those locations and probably will stay that way.

The truth is that it changes constantly, as the flooding that is still coming from upstream rolls into the area, but I-45 is the best route from all 3 of those locations and probably will stay that way.

So I45 has been reopened and is clear all the way down to Galveston then? That is great news!

What areas should we definitely avoid. I'm more worried about my brother and his family coming from Dallas than us to be honest. I'm not sure what they will encounter on the way down.

I just looked and it looks like I45 takes me straight through the heart of Houston, which all of the threads on here that I have read have said stay away from the heart of Houston, so is there a better way to get around the city and then jump back on once we are South of it?

I'm not from Houston, but I think there is a I610 that skirts around the downtown area of Houston. Basically makes a circle. So maybe check to see if you can catch 610 then hop back on 45 when you get to the other side of Houston.

Thank you geocruiser and SciFiGuy1960!! These are much more helpful than ones I had been told or come across before. Seeing the webcams is very, very helpful! This is exactly what my wife and my brother's wife needed to help them not stress as much! I really appreciate it!

Thank you geocruiser and SciFiGuy1960!! These are much more helpful than ones I had been told or come across before. Seeing the webcams is very, very helpful! This is exactly what my wife and my brother's wife needed to help them not stress as much! I really appreciate it!

Glad that they were helpful.

Go over to the Carnival Board, there is someone that drove down to Galveston on I-45 and said it was fine. Also gave an excellent description of the conditions in Galveston, what was open, what was damaged, where to get gas, etc. All in all, it sounds like you should not have any problems driving from either airport to Galveston.

I would suggest coming from Dallas that they fill with gas again just north of Houston ( at least Bucees ) and get anything they want to eat there too. It's unknown yet if gas stations along 45 will be open or places to eat. Those are off the the freeways in lower areas.

Good luck on your flights coming in! I'm sure Galveston wants tourism to return as soon as possible. There are still a lot of unknowns for the weekend. Flooding is still continuing to rise a little south of the addicks but that's far from the major airports and 1 45.

I just looked and it looks like I45 takes me straight through the heart of Houston, which all of the threads on here that I have read have said stay away from the heart of Houston, so is there a better way to get around the city and then jump back on once we are South of it?

I take I-45 south from Dallas, then Hardy Toll Road in Spring, exit for Beltway8 eastbound, ultimately rejoining I-45 south of Houston. The underpass as you exit Hardy for 8 is low and I'm sure it flooded, looks like it's clear. Not the shortest way but usually quick and it's easy too, and I like to see the ship channel etc from the big bridge:)

P.S For DFW area drivers who have NTTA TollTags, these also work in Houston's EZPass system.

Edited by pspercy

I will try to create a link:http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2539199

This is excellent, thank you!! Thank you also to all those who have added input here for those of us headed down to Galveston this weekend to get on the Liberty! I know I greatly appreciate it, and I know many others will too!

I can't speak for things down south near Houston but just know if you go through the Dallas area, gas stations are running out of gas by the minute. I I would expect by this afternoon or tomorrow, it will be very slim pickens. Heck i'm driving from Dallas down to Austin for the weekend and have some general concern as to being able to find gas for my return trip. Brother in law lives down there and says the "panic" from DFW area is hitting down there as well. skyrocketing prices at near empty gas stations. good luck!

Thank you for this!! It really puts my mind at ease! :D

I am glad. My brother in law lives in Galveston, he already started tearing out drywall for his clients (he is a contractor) so the walls could dry. It was bad there, but not as bad as parts of Houston. Enjoy your cruise!

Hope your brother has filled his gas tank. All gas stations in my work area and my home area are out. Everyone has panicked - we have fuel it's just the delivery system is delayed right now. As long as I45 is back open and passable, people should be able to get there- and get out!

Today's Update...8-31-2017...Getting Into and Out of Galveston......

Gasoline is Fast Becoming Unavailable in Texas..... --

Re: Most places in Dallas/Richardson/Plano/Mckinney are out of gasoline. Diesel still widely available. $2.50 is the prevailing price but regular is uniformly out. So $2.90 premium is what you get. I filled up before the hurricane landed. Not sure how the school bus logistics will work, though. --

Modern civilization appears to be very robust but is actually very fragile and depends completely upon readily available gasoline, diesel, electricity, pure water supplies and operating sewer plants.

Remove any one of those key components and chaos happens immediately.

This is why the EMP threat is considered Doomsday. And I absolutely agree that it would be.

Remove any of those components listed above and civilization panics and immediately goes into hysterics.

In San Antonio, we have 2 vehicles. I filled up one yesterday when all was still normal and calm. The other was only half full. So, hearing some news of lines forming I went to the 3 big gas stations near my house. All already had.. no gasoline.

I then went to pick up my grand kids from school to take them to their house.

I am normally gone 1 hour and 15 minutes each day to do this. Today it took 2 hours and 15 minutes. Most gas stations already have no gas but any that do...then lines immediately form and these gas lines then spill out into the street for blocks and take out a traffic lane, so traffic immediately becomes snarled. Some in line won't make it to the pumps before the gas is depleted.

The school districts all issued alerts to parents and the media that due to traffic jams forming around every gas station still having fuel, kids would be 45-60 minutes late getting home. Er, I saw a school bus still dropping kids at 6:45 pm. And when the bus fuel supplies are depleted???

Home school???

Many here will remember the gas lines of the 1970's...I sure do...today in San Antonio and Dallas were just like that. A friend who travels the rural areas for a car parts dealer said the small towns are already mostly out of fuel because city folks drove out into the country and drained them dry. It is a full blown panic.

I pity anyone who had low gas supplies in any vehicle today after 10 am. That vehicle is now worthless.

Of course the Mayor went on TV and said, "Don't fill up if you don't need gas." Yeah, right.

Soon we will see fill on "alternate days based on plate number" and "no more than 10 gallons per purchase"...watch and see...

Because of the large amount of refinery capacity idled by Harvey...this could spread outside of Texas very soon...

Good luck all...( If you are in Texas and have a vehicle that is not filled to capacity...do that...now.)

I can't speak for things down south near Houston but just know if you go through the Dallas area, gas stations are running out of gas by the minute. I I would expect by this afternoon or tomorrow, it will be very slim pickens. Heck i'm driving from Dallas down to Austin for the weekend and have some general concern as to being able to find gas for my return trip. Brother in law lives down there and says the "panic" from DFW area is hitting down there as well. skyrocketing prices at near empty gas stations. good luck!

DW is actually volunteering in Houston with her work, reports I-45 was fine all the way to town today and gas was $2.19/gal in Houston with no lines or panic. There was some areas still clearly flooded but things are improving. I don't think Galveston is on their agenda but will try to press her for any "rumor repellant" when we speak tomorrow.

Truth be told, there was ONE news story last night about how ONE gas retailer might close some locations and-- shock, horror-- all heck broked loose here in Dallas. It was 1979 all over again.