Hurricane irma....ugh

NCL and Carnival has just cancelled some cruises out of Miami on 8 and 9 September. Offering 100% refund and future cruise credit. Check with your TA .

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Where do you see that? I still only see RCCL and NCL cancellations. I really hope they cancel. I can't imagine the liability of telling people that they need to travel to an area where evacuations are already being ordered.

Flying in to Tampa on Sunday, the 10th for a B2B2B cruise. Actually looking forward to some excitement.(i.e. Life is a journey, enjoy the ride).

..like maybe the airport being closed, and you are refused permission to land and have to go back.......that kind of excitement??

I can't imagine the liability of telling people that they need to travel to an area where evacuations are already being ordered.
Since the cruise lines don't tell people that they need to travel to an area where evacuations are already being ordered, there's no liability. We would prefer that the cruise lines make decisions about changes when we want them to make the decisions, and in the direction we would want the decision made, but history has shown that that's not a reasonable expectation. Last week Carnival was quicker to cancel as compared to Royal Caribbean. It looks like this time Royal Caribbean will be a little quicker.

I think the more important question is why aren't civil authorities putting non-essential travel bans in place. They're the ones who are actually supposed to be focused solely on the public's best interest.

Maybe I have missed someone else's post about this, but I have a cruise leaving the Miami port on Monday, September 11th at 3 pm with Royal Caribbean. Any news on the Miami port sailing changes or cancellations?

RCCL currently has information on their website in 3 categories: cruises cancelled, cruises with altered itineraries, and cruises they're watching with a promise of a 6PM eastern update.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/itineraryUpdates.do?cS=NAVBAR&pnav=3&snav=10

Since the cruise lines don't tell people that they need to travel to an area where evacuations are already being ordered, there's no liability. We would prefer that the cruise lines make decisions about changes when we want them to make the decisions, and in the direction we would want the decision made, but history has shown that that's not a reasonable expectation. Last week Carnival was quicker to cancel as compared to Royal Caribbean. It looks like this time Royal Caribbean will be a little quicker.

I think the more important question is why aren't civil authorities putting non-essential travel bans in place. They're the ones who are actually supposed to be focused solely on the public's best interest.

RCCL was criticized last week for being slow with updates, and this week it seems they've heeded that criticism and are providing transparent updates in advance. NCL has been proactive today too. Today it seems Carnival is bringing up the rear with their brand ambassador today saying it's way too early to make decisions. That seems odd since Miami-Dade civil authorities are already implementing mandatory evacuations starting Wednesday. Other civil authorities have already proactively declared a state of emergency for the state of Florida, and civil authorities have implemented mandatory evacuations for the Florida Keys. Civil authorities don't typically just shut everything down, because at this point airlines and others are implementing their strategies. Civil authorities don't typically issue blanket non-essential travel bans. For example, airports typically make their own call to shut down or not, airlines make their own decisions to move aircraft and crews, etc. Declarations are made at the local, regional, and state level involving many experts with a great deal of experience in their own areas and fields of expertise. Right now it seems the only ones lagging behind are the officials at Carnival. It should be noted Carnival's brand ambassador is currently cruising comfortably in Alaskan waters.

Just spoke with Carnival and basically, I was told we have to wait for them to cancel to receive a full refund. The agent said they have made adjustments to cruises leaving from Miami and Tampa but not Fort Lauderdale since they are still unsure if it will be affected. Oh and no changes to the initerary either.

My reasoning for thinking Carnival feels Irma will be more of a threat to the West coast of Florida since they're made adjustments to Tampa but not to Ft. Lauderdale.

? :confused: ?

RCCL was criticized last week for being slow with updates, and this week it seems they've heeded that criticism and are providing transparent updates in advance.
Either that or they just made the decision slower last week and faster this week, for no specific reasons whatsoever. You're seeing a difference and claiming a cause-and-effect, when there really is no reason to believe that there actually is a cause-and-effect. These cruise lines have been handling situations like this for decades. Their patterns and processes are pretty static in that regard.

Civil authorities don't typically just shut everything down, because at this point airlines and others are implementing their strategies.
Including cruise lines, but you don't seem to be willing to give cruise lines the same consideration that you're affording to "airlines and others". I think your expectations are not grounded in rational considerations.

I see. But as long as they give you a days notice, isn’t that sufficient? As in enough time to cancel your room and flight? Legit questions. I don’t know what the cancellation policies are for flights. I do know hotels it’s generally 24-48 hours

Many, if not most, cruise passengers fly or drive in a day or more early to embark their cruises to mitigate any unexpected delays. So no, I'd say a day's notice is inadequate, if not inconsiderate.

My brother is on the Carnival Fascination right now in the Southern Caribbean out of Puerto Rico. They are due to return on Sunday. He said there hasn't been a single announcement about the hurricane and so far no changes to their itinerary. He said he is surprised they have not mentioned it at all especially since Puerto Rico is their home port.

Either that or they just made the decision slower last week and faster this week, for no specific reasons whatsoever. You're seeing a difference and claiming a cause-and-effect, when there really is no reason to believe that there actually is a cause-and-effect. These cruise lines have been handling situations like this for decades. Their patterns and processes are pretty static in that regard.

Including cruise lines, but you don't seem to be willing to give cruise lines the same consideration that you're affording to "airlines and others". I think your expectations are not grounded in rational considerations.

Criticize all you want, but it doesn't bring answers to people waiting on Carnival to make decisions about travel plans many are waiting to decide. My empathy remains with them. If I were in their shoes, I'd like information sooner rather than later to try to salvage my vacation plans. Carnival needs to be forthcoming and transparent.

Many, if not most, cruise passengers fly or drive in a day or more early to embark their cruises to mitigate any unexpected delays. So no, I'd say a day's notice is inadequate, if not inconsiderate.
But two days notice should be more than enough. I'm expecting to see the September 9 cruises disposition by Thursday if not sooner, whether they actually end up sailing or not.

My empathy remains with them.
But perhaps don't afford them the dignity of their reasonable consideration. If my cruise was this weekend, I would want to hear more than just empathy, but also different perspectives on how things might actually go for them, such as when the cruise line is more likely to make a decision. I feel for those affected, mostly those who live in the storm's path but also for those whose vacations are disrupted, but I also respect their intelligence and their ability and interest in hearing more than just cheering for them. And I also acknowledge that there are more people in the discussion forum than just those who live in the storm's path and those whose vacations are disrupted, and these threads can help us all better understand our own vacation planning, our own needs for contingencies and underwriting, etc.

Carnival needs to be forthcoming and transparent.
Carnival needs to be many things all at once. Just pounding your hands and stamping your feet isn't going to make your personal priority the only thing Carnival is concerned about. Edited by bUU

Honestly, I need more than 2 days notice to make arrangements. Its a group of 20 of us. If possible we would like to book another cruise leaving around the same timeframe from somewhere else since so many preparations have been made for us to go on this cruise. Does anyone know what other ports we could leave from?

I am booked on Magic 9/9 out of Port Canaveral. If by some miracle it doesn't get cancelled I am wondering if we will even be able to get down there. Fearing gas will be out as a news article in Orlando reported "People are also urged to fill their gas tanks before gas stations could see long lines and a supply shortage.".

I'm with you. I'm praying they cancel. As much as I've looked forward to this cruise I'd rather not be worried about getting there then worried about rough seas and rain and all that fun stuff that comes with a hurricane on top of not knowing if I'll have a vehicle to return to. I love cruising as much as the next person but come on, I would much rather reschedule. And I don't need to hear another "that's what you get for booking in hurricane season" yea, I get it, your comments aren't helping anyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We live in Houston and just finished the Harvey drama, and we're sailing out of Galveston on the 9th on the Freedom to the Bahamas. I hope the trip isn't cancelled we really need a break

We are very worried. Our wedding is this Friday and then we are sailing Saturday to the Bahamas for our honeymoon.:loudcry: Hoping to hear soon if the cruise is canceled or rerouted.

I'm with you. I'm praying they cancel. As much as I've looked forward to this cruise I'd rather not be worried about getting there then worried about rough seas and rain and all that fun stuff that comes with a hurricane on top of not knowing if I'll have a vehicle to return to. I love cruising as much as the next person but come on, I would much rather reschedule. And I don't need to hear another "that's what you get for booking in hurricane season" yea, I get it, your comments aren't helping anyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am feeling the same, I'm booked on the Victory that is due to leave on 9/11 out of Miami. I am from Maine and I'm terrified of getting stuck there with no place to go. And I'm with you on the told you so type comments-It's not helpful in any means and actually quite inconsiderate. No different than the folks who live there....

We are very worried. Our wedding is this Friday and then we are sailing Saturday to the Bahamas for our honeymoon.:loudcry: Hoping to hear soon if the cruise is canceled or rerouted.

23 years ago our honeymoon was cancelled because of a hurricane. We stayed in town and pretended we were tourists. Aside from our friends tagging along with everything we did :D we had fun.

All I can criticize in this case is your post, for failing to follow the discussion and failing to provide a link to an actually offensive posting. While I disagree with grandmarnnurse's conclusion that it is a "total waste of money", not one part of her comment was offensive.

There have been some posts that I thought were rude, and I replied to them appropriately. I was trying to get you to post a link to one in a discussion I was following that I had missed. I guess I didn't miss any.

Let's set aside the meta-discussion and get back to the topic.

When appropriate I expect that the governor will issue a non-essential travel ban.

Cruise Critic needs a facepalm smiley.[/quote

Anybody that thought I was being rude, I am very sorry. I am just referring to the whole panic now that a hurricane is going to hit, with everyone wondering what will happen to them, their cruises, their money (if no insurance) and I'm stating a fact: you book during hurricane season, this is the risk you take. I'm sorry if you are all up in arms and don't want to hear this, but it happens. Hurricanes hit, and cruises get cancelled. I just read that both the NCL Sky and Escape, set to cruise September 8 and 9, are now cancelled, and their cruises out to sea are being brought in early, docking in Miami early Thursday morning. I never called anyone an idiot. I might have said they were nuts to book at this time of year--lol--because they risk precisely what is happening to their cruises right now. People book at this time of year for all sorts of reasons. One person said they have kids, they have jobs, etc, but you know what, I did too, and I've been cruising for years and at times with my family who do still have jobs and kids with sports, etc, but they would never consider cruising during hurricane season. They just rearrange schedules. Now I feel very bad for you all that may miss your cruise. I'm definetly not gloating over what I've been warning cruisers for years. I just think it might now give everyone a pause and think about when they may choose to book next time. And those that have booked at this time in the past without any problems--well, there hasn't been a major hurricane for quite awhile. We've been lucky. It is a risk you take when you book.