Orlando without a car

babs135

Not totally a cruise question but I'm still sure someone can help.

I'm thinking of taking a cruise out of Florida (no ship, itinerary or starting port yet!!) and would like to add a few days in Orlando either pre or post cruise. My question is quite simple; can we manage without a car? If DH comes with we would definitely hire one, but as I'm thinking of a mother and daughter cruise neither of us fancy driving,

Would like to do Disney and Cape Canaveral.

Any advice would be grateful. Thanks in advance.

IMO yes you can

BUT

Public transportation like bus is very limited and there is no subway or anything like light rail. UBER or taxi is going to be your option around town.

If not already aware Orlando, especially Disney/Universal is over 50 miles from Cocoa Beach / Cape Canaveral. An UBER would run in the neighborhood of $100 US. There are 'shuttle services' - shared rides - that can get you there for less but nothing in the way of regular bus or train service ....

Silly me; I was so fixated on Orlando on its own that I forgot we would have to get to or from the ship!! Might have to bite the bullet and hire a car. Have driven in America so that's not the problem, I just didn't want the hassle.

If you just want to spend time by either of the parks (Disney or Universal) and stay at a hotel on the property of either park or close by that has a shuttle, then yes not having a car is not a problem. Disney has a massive transportation system and Universal does too, along with being much smaller than Disney.

Many hotels near by either have shuttle buses too.

But public transit is not good in Orlando so outside of resort transit you'll have to Uber/Taxi around.

To get to the port you could get a shuttle or bus service.

If you are just staying at a Disney hotel on their property, then no, you don't need a car. You may only need one to get to Cape Canaveral if you decide to do that - though as others have said, there are shuttles both to get you to your cruise and the space center.

Consider taxi/shuttle prices and it's often cheaper to just rent a car - however, if you have your rental while on the cruise, you'll be paying for the car AND parking.

Silly me; I was so fixated on Orlando on its own that I forgot we would have to get to or from the ship!! Might have to bite the bullet and hire a car. Have driven in America so that's not the problem, I just didn't want the hassle.

If you can swing the price look at a combined Disney World stay (at one of the Disney hotels), and Disney Cruise. Disney does a VERY good job of making it a seamless process from the airport to Disney World and the cruise. (After the cruise they should offer an excursion to Kennedy Space Center which will drop you off at the airport afterwards.)

Aloha,

John

It's not inexpensive though. :-(

I'm doing a cruise in Feb 2018 out of Port Canaveral. I've booked a fly, snooze and cruise package in advance of the cruise so will be staying in Cocoa Beach. There is supposed to be local bus (I've done some research but haven't written it down) that will let me visit Canaveral.

Post cruise, I'm taking the same shuttle back to the airport and then will taxi it to a hotel near International Drive. I have no interest in Disney but this might be an option for you - couple of extra days pre and post cruise and you'll get to see everything you want to see. :)