Oxygen

tjcletsgo

Good morning. My travel buddy needs to be on oxygen at night. It's a small concentrator/mini-suitcase unit. She has a kinda long leash and at home she puts it outside her room in the hall. I was thinking she could put it on the balcony. She's afraid of it being in the "elements". Does anybody have any ideas, the sucker is kinda loud,

Thanks so much for any info you can provide.

Good morning. My travel buddy needs to be on oxygen at night. It's a small concentrator/mini-suitcase unit. She has a kinda long leash and at home she puts it outside her room in the hall. I was thinking she could put it on the balcony. She's afraid of it being in the "elements". Does anybody have any ideas, the sucker is kinda loud,

You will require a long extension cord that goes the length of the cabin. The plugs are by the desk. There may also be a plug behind the night stand. Suggest the closet area. This area is separated from the sleeping area and you can leave the unit there all the time.You could place it on the balcony, but the unit will get wet overnight from humid sea air. You will also hear a loud whistle coming under the cabin door if the balcony door is open, and the cabin temperature will not be stable. You can eliminate some of the whistle by placing a rolled up towel against the door.

I wouldn't put it out on the balcony. Sometimes you wake to find the balcony wet, or if there is rough sea it would not be good for the machine and salt in the air can be corrosive to the machines components. Plus if it is loud you wouldn't want to disturb neighbors who may be enjoying their balcony in the evenings.

Putting it in the closet area may provide enough of a sound buffer or if the oxygen tube is long enough you could put it in the bathroom and feed the tube under the door. If all else fails bring a good pair of ear plugs it is amazing how much noise they can block out ( I never travel without them).

No way would you be allowed to leave an electrical appliance running on the balcony. And the noise of an oxygen concentrator would result in immediate complaints from your neighbors.

Has she ever tried standard O2? Very easy to rent a tank from one of the ship's authorized suppliers and have it waiting in the cabin. But of course would have to practice at home setting it up each night.

(Clearly I am assuming that the statement "needs to be on oxygen at night" means only at night; if she needs to have the concentrator with her at all times in case of emergency--well, that fact needs to be taken into consideration within the overall scenario)

Either way contacting Fleet Medical may give you some good advice; I hope she knows that not pre-reporting her condition may result in being denied boarding:

https://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/prepare.jsp

Oxygen

If you will require oxygen supplementation during your sailing, please contact our Fleet Medical Department at (661)753-2680. You will be asked to send a letter or prescription from your doctor. You will also be required to let us know the type of equipment you will be using and whether you will be bringing your own supplies or if you will be having the equipment delivered to the ship.

DO NOT put it on the balcony!!! If your friend owns the concentrator I can almost guarantee she'll need to buy a new one. If she rents it from a DME, they'll most likely charge her for killing it.

As others noted, put it in the closet area.

Also, don't put any clothes, etc on the intake vents. Don't cover it trying to quiet it.

Earplugs are your friend, bring a couple of extras.:D

Your friend could consider renting a smaller, quieter concentrator for the trip. It would probably cost less than $200.

Has she ever tried standard O2? Very easy to rent a tank from one of the ship's authorized suppliers and have it waiting in the cabin. But of course would have to practice at home setting it up each night.

One E cylinder (the smallish one) would last one night. One H cylinder (the shoulder high one) would last for the trip with leftovers.

Cylinder O2 isn't the answer.

I really don't think the balcony is a good option. I'm sure the other passengers would like to enjoy their balcony without listening to a loud machine. I agree the bathroom is probably the best option.

Thanks everyone for your help! Can we put it in the DRY shower and close the door?

Yes, as long as the shower head doesn't drip.:eek:

Also, no one should use any kind of powder in the bathroom at all. I had a patient years ago who kept the concentrator in the bathroom and used baby powder every day. Killed the machine.

And, of course, remember to take it out of the shower BEFORE you turn the shower on.:')

I really don't think the balcony is a good option. I'm sure the other passengers would like to enjoy their balcony without listening to a loud machine. I agree the bathroom is probably the best option.

The power outlet in the bathroom won't run it. It's for things like a night light or an electric shaver. If the unit is loud it will echo through the wall into the neighbor's cabin and may result in some unhappy folks next door.

The power outlet in the bathroom won't run it. It's for things like a night light or an electric shaver. If the unit is loud it will echo through the wall into the neighbor's cabin and may result in some unhappy folks next door.

Your right about the power outlet, I assumed enough people had already posted about using an extension cord.

Hadn't thought of vibrating in the shower. :o Maybe put some towels UNDER the machine for padding?

If affected, I will definitely complain about the noise with the PSD.

You may find it covered with soot.

My husband has been using oxygen pretty much 24-7 for 3 years.We rent a small quiet one from OxiMedical in Glendale Az. Phone number 866-6969558 it fits in our carry-on. We do check the bag if we are on a direct flight. They have been great to work with, and can possibly help you with your needs. We also bought an inogen G3 that he uses on the plan and excursions.

My husband has been using oxygen pretty much 24-7 for 3 years.We rent a small quiet one from OxiMedical in Glendale Az. Phone number 866-6969558 it fits in our carry-on. We do check the bag if we are on a direct flight. They have been great to work with, and can possibly help you with your needs. We also bought an inogen G3 that he uses on the plan and excursions.

Not a good idea to check your concentrator in a suitcase, even on a direct flight. Suitcases have been know to be loaded on the wrong plane.

Medical equipment (oxygen, CPAP, nebulizers) are FREE carry-on items on any US airline (Federal law) and many "foreign" airlines.