Anxiously Waiting

Poulsbo Cruisers

We booked the guarantee to get the lowest price for a mini. We usually do a mini and don't care that much about the location. Since there weren't any of the M6 categories left to select, we just did the guarantee at that price. We figured we would get a little upgrade because there aren't that many of the M6 cabins, but if not that would have been okay.

does GTY give you a better chance at upgrade vs picking a cabin? i guess this applies to most lines..or no?

does GTY give you a better chance at upgrade vs picking a cabin? i guess this applies to most lines..or no?

We always book a GTY and almost always get an upgrade. That said, we always book either an inside or outside and the GTY is that you will get one of those. There are five or six categories of inside and the guarantee is that you will get the worst category or better. The odds are better than 90% that we will be upgraded to better than worst. Since we are paying for the worst category, we always feel happy to get something better than that. Occasionally we have paid for an inside and been upgraded to an outside. Once we were given a good outside that we liked, but on boarding they changed us to what they considered a much better outside. DW didn't like the location, so I checked and found that the original one was still vacant. We asked the front office if we could move to the original one as we hadn't unpacked yet. They said yes, so we moved.

OP do you think your history with the line had something to do with this? i know figuring out GTY is like figuring out airline pricing, impossible. did you book with hope of upgrade? from what i understand about princess, there is no price discount for GTY like on other lines so upgrading is the only reason i can think of to get GTY

History with the line has nothing to do with upgrades. First timers are more apt to get upgrades as an incentive to try Princess again.

Those who get the upgrades, are usually those who have overpaid for their cruises and not used a good discount TA. :eek:

When we wanted to move to a different cabin, same category, that was available right before sailing, our TA called Princess. Princess said 'do you see what they paid for that cabin? No way they are moving.' Oh well, it was worth a shot. ;)

We always book a GTY and almost always get an upgrade. That said, we always book either an inside or outside and the GTY is that you will get one of those. There are five or six categories of inside and the guarantee is that you will get the worst category or better. The odds are better than 90% that we will be upgraded to better than worst. Since we are paying for the worst category, we always feel happy to get something better than that. Occasionally we have paid for an inside and been upgraded to an outside.

If someone does not want to be in the worst level of a category, then you can book a GTY for a level (and associated price) you would be happy in. You do not have to book an IF cabin GTY, the lowest level of inside cabins. You could book a IB category and know you would not get assigned a lower level inside cabin.