Doesn't seem fair

wannatan

An entirely different question occurred to me as I read this thread.. What happens to the commission for a TA who has booked the passengers who accepted a move over offer and now are going on a free cruise? It is my understanding that a TA is not paid until the passenger boards the ship. Therefore he or she would not be paid for the original cruise that was sold. Now since the fare on the new cruise is ZERO, what commission could the TA collect? Whatever percentage they receive of ZERO IS ZERO. It hardly seems fair for the cruise line to get what they want (the cabin they need) and the passengers who willingly accept the offer to get a free cruise while the TA who did the work booking the cruise gets NOTHING. That seems not fair to me. Or am I missing something?

An entirely different question occurred to me as I read this thread.. What happens to the commission for a TA who has booked the passengers who accepted a move over offer and now are going on a free cruise? It is my understanding that a TA is not paid until the passenger boards the ship. Therefore he or she would not be paid for the original cruise that was sold. Now since the fare on the new cruise is ZERO, what commission could the TA collect? Whatever percentage they receive of ZERO IS ZERO. It hardly seems fair for the cruise line to get what they want (the cabin they need) and the passengers who willingly accept the offer to get a free cruise while the TA who did the work booking the cruise gets NOTHING. That seems not fair to me. Or am I missing something?

I suspect the TA gets the original commission. Consider this: the passenger cannot accept a move-over unless the TA forwards the offer to the passenger. I rather doubt TA would do that if they knew they would be forfeiting their commission. Remember also that the cruise line wants repeat bookings from the TA and that implies the cruise line will adequately compensate the TA.

Reminds me of a River cruise we took in Russia in 2007....cruise line drops fares by 1500pp plus free upgrade and has the nerve to send me a postcard advertising the drop. They refuse to do anything for me not even the upgrade. 2 couples we become acquainted with on the cruise got the special and unfortunately had to speak about it. Trying to make myself feel better, I figured for sure they had to pay the expedite charge for their visas or maybe they got crappy air or a lousy cabin, that would make me feel better...however, that was not the case.

To this day those 16 days in Russia have been one of my favorite trips so as master card says it was Priceless.

On our South America cruise in January several did take a move over.....but some also took the chance of never taking the cruise again......and that particular sailing around the Horn we made every port and had a clear day in the Falklands after they had had almost 2 weeks of study rain.

Yes...some do get better deals........and it would make some of us feel better if they kept it to themselves.

But, no one can take our experiences away from us...at whatever price we pay. Take opportunity in hand, you were content with your original price...if you had never heard about the move overs you would never be the wiser.

I would never take a move over...life is just 2 unpredictable..I'd rather have a bird in the hand than 2 in the bush.

Edited by land lover

What the op needs to know is when the cruise lines make a specific offer wither move over or upgrade depends on the need of the cruise line. We have received several upgrades without upcharges because the lines wanted the type of cabins we had. Once we received an upgrade to a suite in order to give up a balcony and inside cabin for our children. Another time was to a balcony from an ocean view. So, it is not a matter of being fair or not, it what are the need of the lines.

First rule of cruising: Do not talk about how much you paid for your cabin.

Second rule: If someone brings up the subject of how much everyone paid, you can bet they have brought the subject up with the objective of enhancing their pleasure at the expense of your pleasure. So, if they insist on pursing the subject and you simply cannot avoid the question - Don't give them the satisfaction of knowing they got a better deal than you - LIE - if only by implication.

Many years ago, in the days when everyone had traditional dining and on another line (P&O), we had a couple (in a standard balcony cabin) who interrogated everyone on the table about how much they had paid and guess what - they had a better deal than everyone else. When it came to my turn, they had already said how much they had paid, which permitted me the opportunity to say nothing more than 'Oh, I paid a little more than you, but not a lot more' which seemed to satisfy the interrogator's objective.

Later in the cruise, on a formal night, we invited the whole table to our cabin for pre-dinner drinks. You should have seen the look on the man's face when he realised that 'I had paid a little more... but not a lot more' than him for our suite. I was of course lying but I stand by the view that he got what he deserved.

On the same cruise the same man interrogated everyone about their job, and he of course had the best job, until he came to a young couple who calmly answered 'We're in oil' and said nothing more. Later the rest of us, but not the interrogator, learned that they were indeed 'in oil'. They owned a fish and chip shop!

Another response I have heard of, but not used myself when someone brags about getting a free cruise, over dinner, is to simply say 'I guess that means you can afford to buy the wine then?' and watch them squirm as they try to explain why they don't think that this a good idea.

Edited by Corfe Mixture

Second rule: If someone brings up the subject of how much everyone paid, you can bet they have brought the subject up with the objective of enhancing their pleasure at the expense of your pleasure. So, if they insist on pursing the subject and you simply cannot avoid the question - Don't give them the satisfaction of knowing they got a better deal than you - LIE - if only by implication.

Many years ago, in the days when everyone had traditional dining and on another line (P&O), we had a couple (in a standard balcony cabin) who interrogated everyone on the table about how much they had paid and guess what - they had a better deal than everyone else. When it came to my turn, they had already said how much they had paid, which permitted me the opportunity to say nothing more than 'Oh, I paid a little more than you, but not a lot more' which seemed to satisfy the interrogator's objective.

Later in the cruise, on a formal night, we invited the whole table to our cabin for pre-dinner drinks. You should have seen the look on the man's face when he realised that 'I had paid a little more... but not a lot more' than him for our suite. I was of course lying but I stand by the view that he got what he deserved.

On the same cruise the same man interrogated everyone about their job, and he of course had the best job, until he came to a young couple who calmly answered 'We're in oil' and said nothing more. Later the rest of us, but not the interrogator, learned that they were indeed 'in oil'. They owned a fish and chip shop!

Another response I have heard of, but not used myself when someone brags about getting a free cruise, over dinner, is to simply say 'I guess that means you can afford to buy the wine then?' and watch them squirm as they try to explain why they don't think that this a good idea.

Love your take.....and stories...I make it a point on cruises not to talk about professions...that always keeps people guessing.

When people speak about having to much OBC......it's time to say "drinks r on them."

What the op needs to know is when the cruise lines make a specific offer wither move over or upgrade depends on the need of the cruise line. We have received several upgrades without upcharges because the lines wanted the type of cabins we had. Once we received an upgrade to a suite in order to give up a balcony and inside cabin for our children. Another time was to a balcony from an ocean view. So, it is not a matter of being fair or not, it what are the need of the lines.

So true...and I've know a lot of people getting a suite upgrade when they have had kids in an inside. Talk about a win win for the line. More grats for their employees more opportunity for "spending" adults, especially if the inside or balcony can accommodate more than 2. Because when they are giving these offers they are doing so because they are selling the cabins or sold the cabins at top dollar.

Love your take.....and stories...I make it a point on cruises not to talk about professions...that always keeps people guessing.

When people speak about having to much OBC......it's time to say "drinks r on them."

Not necessarily true. I think it is interesting to know what people do in other parts of the world. Not everyone is asking so they can one up the next fellow. It is just chatter. I think Corfe, using the word interrogate is making a big assumption as to why people are interested.

BTW, we don't ask or care what other people paid for their cruise. Nor do we care how much money they have. But it is interesting to find out what they are like personally and what talents and abilities they have. That is not interrogation.

Edited by AZbeachboy

Another response could be:

Social services pays for my cruise.:evilsmile:

Annie

LOL ! These examples above are funny, but this tends to happen during group travel more often than not.

We're new to cruising, but we've been on land excursions with blowhards like the examples above, where the guy always paid the least for his accommodations, always has the best job and the most money, his opinions about politics are the only accurate ones, his religion is the only true religion, the sports teams he roots for are the very best and are for sure going to the SuperBowl, World Series, etc. '

These blowhards are insufferable, and THAT is why DH and I chose a cute little table for 2 each night on our cruise, right next to the window, where we could look out at the peacefulness and beauty of the ocean sliding by.

There can be a group of 20 lovely people, fun conversationalists, who just want to relax and enjoy their vacation; then there's the one super-competitive blowhard of the group who wants to beat everyone over the head with his (loudest voice in the DR) interrogations about who has the best job ( him), who earns the most money ( him) , who paid the least for an upgraded cabin ( him) ........ etc. etc. etc.

This is off the topic of the thread, but we can SO do without these folks, and that is why we're very grateful for Anytime Dining and our cozy little table for 2 looking out on the ocean.:D:D:D EBC

Edited by EastBay Cruisers

When people say they have so much on board credit they don't know what to do with it - all I can think of are handbags. (I have a little thing for handbags)

you know, you'd be better off not knowing about the move over offers. Roll calls are evil!

See, my life is so simple - I never knew move over offers existed, so I don't envy anyone or seethe with rage over it. I will definitely NOT cancel my future business with any cruise line over someone else getting a move over or whatever offer...

I agree, it's like cutting off your nose to spite your face. I don't care that someone got a better deal than I did, it just means they got lucky. Cancelling a cruise because someone got a better deal than I did is pretty childish. JMHO.

Not necessarily true. I think it is interesting to know what people do in other parts of the world. Not everyone is asking so they can one up the next fellow. It is just chatter. I think Corfe, using the word interrogate is making a big assumption as to why people are interested.

BTW, we don't ask or care what other people paid for their cruise. Nor do we care how much money they have. But it is interesting to find out what they are like personally and what talents and abilities they have. That is not interrogation.

On one cruise we were assigned a table for 4. The couple sitting with us were Asians and spoke only broken English. The woman immediately said "How you get here?" I asked her what she meant by that. She said "How you pay for cruise?" DH and I looked at each other dumbfounded. I told her we were janitors and cleaned office buildings for a living. I told her that we collected aluminum cans all year, cashed them in and that's how we got here! Then she wanted to argue with me about the truthfulness of my statement. WTH! I got up and found the maitre'd and told him the seating arrangement wasn't going to work and to move us. He sat us at a table for 2 then the next night at a table with 2 other couples our age. It was pleasant the rest of the cruise. BTW, I enjoyed telling here the BS story. I wasn't in the mood to be confrontational with her.:evilsmile:

On one cruise we were assigned a table for 4. The couple sitting with us were Asians and spoke only broken English. The woman immediately said "How you get here?" I asked her what she meant by that. She said "How you pay for cruise?" DH and I looked at each other dumbfounded. I told her we were janitors and cleaned office buildings for a living. I told her that we collected aluminum cans all year, cashed them in and that's how we got here! Then she wanted to argue with me about the truthfulness of my statement. WTH! I got up and found the maitre'd and told him the seating arrangement wasn't going to work and to move us. He sat us at a table for 2 then the next night at a table with 2 other couples our age. It was pleasant the rest of the cruise. BTW, I enjoyed telling here the BS story. I wasn't in the mood to be confrontational with her.:evilsmile:

I certainly understand that there are some ridiculous people out there. I never said that some people are aggressive and unreasonable. That is passed the normal give and take of a friendly conversation. I have has some of those experiences as well.

What I was taught and use all the time when someone asked me questions is "why do you want to know." I would have used that in your situation or similar one.

I've had a few move-over offers come across my desk for my clients. Once I had clients booked on a South American Cruise that was completely over-booked and I knew that their son had just had a stroke and the sailing was about 6 weeks away. They were trying to decide what to do - go on the cruise or cancel and file for the insurance. We jumped on the Move Over Offer! It completely worked in their favor. They booked a similar cruise the following year and used the "Move Over" extra money to book their Land Tour to Machu Piccu.

In April, of this year they got a move over down grade offer. They had three cabins one for their daughter and her husband, one for themselves and one for their son who was now partially recovered but still needed to have Mom and Dad next door to keep an eye on him. I called Princess and said that there is no way that they would want to take the down grade since they needed to be next to their partially disabled son. So Princess moved down the list and made the offer to others.

The move over offers are a great incentive to get people to give up their cabin and take either another cruise or another cabin. It acknowledges that this is not what the guest booked or paid for and compensates them appropriately. There are many folks that would not take the offer - they booked a cruise where the views are on the port side and the new cabin is on the starboard, they are claustrophobic and can't do the inside cabin, they always book a balcony and do balcony dining. Most people would be completely offended if they were forced to take a move-over so that is why they make the offers so generous as an incentive.

Imagine the scenario of the mover over offers were not generous and no one took them, so the only way to do it was to take random people and assign them to a lesser cabin with little or no compensation for doing so. That would be a really bad business practice.

The cruise line usually protects the commission as part of the offer and sometimes offers a small bonus commission to the TA as compensation for facilitating the move. They realize that they need to take care of their agents just as much as their clients.

First of all. My apologies to all those whose toes I am about to step on. I take upgrade/downgrade stories on CruiseCritic with a grain of salt. Why? I received a TA invoice by mistake and was shocked at how little my TA got for my booking. By the time all the non-chargeable items were subtracted from the booking, the percentage commission was so low that the stories of OBC given to clients by TA is impossible. Are the TA's going to give them money from their own pocket? I think not. Any reputable company has overhead that must be paid. Since the due date for final payment is so far out, perhaps people forget the real numbers. Who knows.

From what I've read they are still on this cruise they haven't had to re book just take a different cabin and load of OBC which if not used will be refunded in cash after cruise

Depends on the type of OBC. If it's non refundable, you have to fight for it. Usually if you know how much is left, you can transfer it to a slot machine, play it and cash out. If you're lucky, it may be refunded in a check in a few weeks

Wannatan:

I feel your frustration and pain about knowing others are getting the same cruise experience for less, but I humbly do believe you are over reacting. I have cruised about 15-17 times on several lines and have received only two free or low priced upgrades. I know enough from this site and others that if I do get an offer I call immediately to get in queue for a call back and while waiting look over if I want to do it or not. So contacting your TA and then having them contact Princess shortly thereafter(5 minutes? maybe not so short as that) and not getting the deal is not that unreasonable. Only a few rooms exist for these situations. The best way to get one is NOT to reserve a nicer higher end room. The two times I got an upgrade to a great location for a balcony or mini-suite, I had booked an obstructed view stateroom. When I book a cc mini or a mini or high end balcony, I know I probably will not get that coveted email for an upgrade, but that is ok with me.

So I feel your pain, but the realities of cruising and business have just frustrated the heck out of you. I find that Princess has the best itineraries and pricing for my style, so I just keep looking daily at the site and for ALL my cruises with all my different lines, I have ended up paying much less than my initial booking price. One trip I even rebooked 4 times for a lower price. (I know you can only do this once in UK and with a cost which is a bummer, but once is cool too) So this way I feel like a winner even if I never see the coveted upgrade/upsale email.

But at the end of the day, you have to do what makes you feel best and I hope that this doesn't ruin your future cruising with any cruise lines.

Pooh

I received a TA invoice by mistake and was shocked at how little my TA got for my booking. By the time all the non-chargeable items were subtracted from the booking, the percentage commission was so low that the stories of OBC given to clients by TA is impossible.

What you aren't taking into account is this: You got the TA invoice for your personal cruise. Usually in sales there's a big incentive to sell so much per week/month/quarter/year - and what you didn't see are all the bonuses done on totals.

Sales work this way. Lots of incentives throughout the weeks/months/quarters/year which can change what the real income is.

First of all. My apologies to all those whose toes I am about to step on. I take upgrade/downgrade stories on CruiseCritic with a grain of salt. Why? I received a TA invoice by mistake and was shocked at how little my TA got for my booking. By the time all the non-chargeable items were subtracted from the booking, the percentage commission was so low that the stories of OBC given to clients by TA is impossible. Are the TA's going to give them money from their own pocket? I think not. Any reputable company has overhead that must be paid. Since the due date for final payment is so far out, perhaps people forget the real numbers. Who knows.

I always get a 10% discount off the fares on the Princess website at the time I book. I always get price drops when the occur. I do not pay extra fees for changing, cancelling, etc, my bookings. I always get an invoice from the TA by email so I do remember the "real numbers".

BTW, are you aware that a new car can be sold for dealer invoice and the dealer can still make a profit? At the end of the year, the manufacturer rebates an additional percentage of the sales by the dealership. The higher the sales, the higher the percentage. Any additional profit for selling a car above invoice is just gravy.