Doesn't seem fair

wannatan

OP - have you consulted the contract you got when you were born that said life is fair? I'm sure there must be a clause in there to cover vacations and specifically cruises...

I hope you are prepared to ever cruise again on any mainstream line...I have read of similar complaints on all of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sorry, but any upgrades or move over offers are really random and not worth getting upset over if you didn't get the call or email.

On my first cruise, Carnival had "upgraded" us to a higher category but it turned out to be to an undesirable location (under one of the dining rooms so we heard vacuuming late at night). A couple of other upgrades were better. But at some point, we would book the cabin we wanted (at least in a place we wanted) and mark our booking "no upgrade."

Twice out of five Princess cruises we were offered move overs, but turned them both down. One was for our first Princess cruise -- we had a phone message on our answering machine that said don't worry, we have our cabin, but the ship is overbooked. this was for a cruise for the next day, but it was within driving distance so no flights nor hotels to change. We wouldn't have a problem rescheduling with work schedules, and this was a full refund with an upgrade from the lowest category cabin to a balcony. Yes, we turned it down....we were packed and looking forward to our first Princess cruise (after several Carnival ones) and we didn't want a balcony with an active 5-year-old (we had her homework packet for kindergarten for the week she was taking off).

On one of our Hawaiian cruises, we got an email that said we could get a 50 per cent refund if we changed our sailing date. This was the only time we could go on a Hawaiian cruise (only time our daughter was off of school was during the end of December and the cruises aren't offered in the summer).

There are many times that people get special offers that you might not get so why fuss over it and decide to be mad at the cruise line?

hi we are sailing on the sept 20th royal princess western med. I've just looked at some postings on the roll call and it seems people are getting what I can only describe as a FREE cruise with a so called move over offer. Now while I like the idea of my Mini Suite I would much rather a Free cruise or a heavily discounted one. How do they pick these cabins and who gets this offer. I have seen mini suite to deluxe balcony and balcony to inside. It seems like it's not just the most sailed who gets the offer as only lady said it's her first princess cruise. I'm miffed at this never have I heard of it and to be honest its leaving a rather sour taste in my mouth!! Ive paid a small fortune for this and if they can do things like that then why not lower everybody's fare and not overbook in the first place. Offering 100% is not fair to the rest of us.

I'm not sure I will cruise with princess again after this.

Jane:(

Sometimes life is just not fair and that is the end of it. If you divorced yourself from everything in life that has treated you unfairly, you would just sit home and watch TV on rabbit ears as occasionally even the cable or satellite services give some people price breaks.

DON

You want to REALLY feel bad. Get a move-over offer you can't use! (In my case due to work obligations). It is like watching $10k flying out the porthole. But guess what, I took the cruise I paid for and had a damn good time. So a few people got lucky and got a deal? So what?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

To say get over it is to me bad. I've booked over 6 months in advance paid top money as we are from the uk and I find out this sort of stuff happens. Yes I understand cruises like airlines overbook but to just choose a few to get what I can only call an outstanding offer an bear in mind they still get their cruise is what I find wrong. If this is what needs to be done to move cabins around then an email should surely be sent to everyone and whoever comes back to them first gets the offers not just a selected few

Don't think UK passengers ever get move over offers. Terms are different as we never get price reductions either and cannot cancel without losing our not inconsiderable deposits. Just the way Princess operates ☹️

I've been cruising for 25 years and nobody ever gave me a free cruise. Wah wah wahhhhhhhh. Boo hoo. Woe is me. Poor me.

Hang in there. Probably just a matter of time until you're contacted by that Nigerian Prince who is giving away free cruises. I understand you only have to put down a small deposit to hold your cruise...

You want to REALLY feel bad. Get a move-over offer you can't use! (In my case due to work obligations). It is like watching $10k flying out the porthole. But guess what, I took the cruise I paid for and had a damn good time. So a few people got lucky and got a deal? So what?

I felt bad enough a couple of years ago when Princess was offering coastal cruises essentially for free. They gave you the entire cost of the cruise to use on a future cruise. I wanted to do some of those sooooooooooooo bad but was still working at the time and so was my wife. While I "may" have been able to get the time for at least one of them my wife had no chance at all. Stupid work. I'm glad we both gave it up as a bad habit but I can't imagine Princess will ever be making offers like that again. Ah, well. We do get to cruise and most folks don't ever get to do that at all. I'd say we're pretty lucky.

Just disembarked yesterday from our first cruise. Our cruise cards were colored blue, meaning we are "rookies". But you have Platinum status ! Wow ! You have been on fabulous cruises that we will probably never get to experience, so your fortune is much greater than ours ! Moral of the story -- There will always be people who are either more fortunate or less fortunate than yourself.:D:D:D.

My guess is that Princess holds its Platinum passengers in such high regard, that they would never ask them to undergo the inconvenience of re-booking and re-scheduling all their travel arrangements, because of the time involved ( even if your T.A. does that for you). They realize that you are a highly successful person with a busy life, and you might not want to go to the trouble of clearing your calendar to find another time.Maybe you chose that specific itinerary and that specific ship at a specific time of year, and it would be difficult to find a comparable cruise. Maybe you're cruising w/ family or friends, or a larger group, and it wouldnt' suit you at all to be bumped off, when the rest of your group stays on. . After all, you're Platinum, and the company greatly values your patronage and loyalty. That's how I would view it.

And, congratulations on having all those wonderful vacations that brought you to Platinum status !! :D:D:D EBC

Don't think UK passengers ever get move over offers. Terms are different as we never get price reductions either and cannot cancel without losing our not inconsiderable deposits. Just the way Princess operates ☹️

Not true.

I know of at least 2 UK cruisers who have received them.

Annie

Hang in there. Probably just a matter of time until you're contacted by that Nigerian Prince who is giving away free cruises. I understand you only have to put down a small deposit to hold your cruise...

Hahaha! [emoji81]

We need a handicapped stateroom so we sometimes book 2 years ahead. I have been offered a up-sell but unfortunately it never is for a handicapped stateroom so we cannot take it.

Even when the original offer is 3 for free, which includes an upgrade, we don't get it....because they have so few handicapped staterooms that they are always booked first.

I am just happy that I can afford to cruise and I book the stateroom that I can at the time. And by the way, we are elite.

I just got an email from Princess - we've got upgraded to a deluxe obstructed balcony! I am so excited.

Perhaps, I should be upset - it's not fair that my parents didn't get an upgrade offer. It's their first cruise, and I bought inside cabins close to each other on purpose...

:halo: Do not do the Happy Dance. Someone will be upset with you. Instead, gracefully offer your upgrade to your parents and let them deal with it.

OP -

IF YOU were the one who received the Move Over offer, would you:

(Option 1) Say to Princess - oh, that is not fair that I was the only one to received such a great offer (equaling a "free" cruise) and others did not. Just give me the move-over and 25% of the reduction, then divide the remaining savings you are offering me and divide it between those not as fortunate to get the offer I did?

OR

(Option 2) Would you take the offer, do a very public happy dance and brag to all you could about your wonderful offer for a "free" cruise?

I suspect I know what you (and many others) would actually do based on many of the comments, and it is NOT think it would be Option 1.

OP -

IF YOU were the one who received the Move Over offer, would you:

(Option 1) Say to Princess - oh, that is not fair that I was the only one to received such a great offer (equaling a "free" cruise) and others did not. Just give me the move-over and 25% of the reduction, then divide the remaining savings you are offering me and divide it between those not as fortunate to get the offer I did?

OR

(Option 2) Would you take the offer, do a very public happy dance and brag to all you could about your wonderful offer for a "free" cruise?

I suspect I know what you (and many others) would actually do based on many of the comments, and it is NOT think it would be Option 1.

Thumbs up. Great post.

It reminds me of a story my late father used to tell. He worked at a racetrack at a complaint window. After a race was completed, someone would come up to his window and say something to the effect of he had asked for a ticket on the horse that had won, but was given a ticket for a different horse and now wanted to be paid his winnings. (Of course you are supposed to check your purchase before leaving the window.) My father would then ask him what if the ticket you say you were mistakenly sold had become a winning ticket? Would you not cash it because it was not the ticket you meant to buy? And the complaining patron would have no good answer.

I'm sorry, but the OP has no right to be upset about this. She is not owed anything nor was she snubbed. It is NOT based on CC level, how much money you paid or any other hierarchy issue. It is based on the demand they have based on overbookings for your particular type/category of cabin. If they need your cabin, you may get an offer. If they don't, you won't. In fact, often the less expensive cabins are more likely to get moveover offers.

Also, if you use a TA, the TA's get the offer emails at the same time as people who do not have TA's. So ANY delay of even an hour in your TA communicating the offer to you (whether moveover, upsell, etc) means you can miss out on being able to get the offer. It is a "first come, first served" thing.

Boo Hoo - nobody wants a crybaby on their cruise anyhow. Take your business elsewhere but remember that soon you may run out of cruise lines that you will be willing to sail. I guess you'll have to figure out something else to do. Life is NOT FAIR.

In my two cents, what I pay for my cruise is nobodies business, if I pay nothing or if I pay 10,000 or my OBC is $5 or $5,000, its up to me. If I got paid to "move over", free, paid, my baby daddy paid, its still nobodies business.

I just think its a braggart thing for people to boast how much they paid or didn't pay for something.

Like I really care, it's like my paycheck or bank accounts...who cares

In my two cents, what I pay for my cruise is nobodies business, if I pay nothing or if I pay 10,000 or my OBC is $5 or $5,000, its up to me. If I got paid to "move over", free, paid, my baby daddy paid, its still nobodies business.

I just think its a braggart thing for people to boast how much they paid or didn't pay for something.

Like I really care, it's like my paycheck or bank accounts...who cares

Thank you, I needed a good laugh.