Costa cancelled our cruise

drsel

Yes, the OP fooled some of us but at least I could express what I feel about those policies used by cruise lines and their cruise contracts. I'm glad I could give my point of view.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Forums

Which you were able to do freely. Too bad you didn't show the same courtesy to all with their points of view........:rolleyes:

I would temper my empathy with the OP. He has known that his ship, Costa neoClassica, has been sold to Bahamas Paradise cruise line since mid-August, per his posting on this thread on the Costa forum: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2531219

And apparently his bargaining position is affected by the fact that he is a non-EU resident but booked from the EU website to get a lower fare. Thus his cancellation/rebooking/etc. position may vary from those of us in the US who play by US rules. EM

You got your facts wrong.

I know Neoclassica has been sold, but I don't know who the buyer is.

And I didn't book from the EU website to get a cheaper price.

Also, I don't want to cancel the cruise.

Yes, I have just read that post. The OP also says he had accepted Costa's offer. That was I month ago.

I wonder why is he asking now if he has already accepted.

I also learnt on that post that he paid 409€ for that cruises. So he is getting 25% of his cruise fare in OBC. And also the replacement ship he says is better than the original one. I think that is completely fair.

Now I'm upset with the OP for asking advice and not providing all that info he obviously knew! [emoji35]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I accepted the offer, because I didn't want to cancel and get a refund.

Later, I read on another thread, that a cruiser (whose cruise was cancelled), was offered another free cruise plus OBC equal to the amount he paid.

So, I was wondering if I could get a better deal. That's all!

I also clearly stated that the Cruise fare per person is $1129 + daily service charges. Not €409.

I don't know if the replacement ship is better, cos I have never sailed on any Costa ship. So please don't malign me.

Well, OP, you fooled everyone here. Everyone sympathized, gave advice and tried to be helpful. You lied, covered up the truth and never came back here. Highly doubt anyone is ever going to believe anything else you say.

How dare you accuse me?

I didn't fool anyone, I didn't lie.

I didn't cover up anything.

Yes, I was busy for many hours, but I DID come back to reply to all my detractors.

I also appreciate and thank all those who helped and gave good advice!

I could choose to ignore those who criticized me, but I didn't. I replied to all my detractors.

No, not everyone - there were a few of us who took original post at face value and still felt that the original complaint was unfounded. It seemed to be just one more case of an entitled person believing that no compensation would be good enough.

I appreciate your honest opinion

Yes - and some of us were criticized for simply pointing out what the cruise line's position might be with regards to what the OP was seeking to do.

But now that we know all the facts.........

Well, I didn't criticize you and I appreciate your stand on what the Cruise lines position might be.

Yes, the OP fooled some of us but at least I could express what I feel about those policies used by cruise lines and their cruise contracts. I'm glad I could give my point of view.

Sorry, I didn't fool anyone

You got your facts wrong.

I know Neoclassica has been sold, but I don't know who the buyer is.

And I didn't book from the EU website to get a cheaper price.

Also, I don't want to cancel the cruise.

Ah, but on the Costa forum (where you've posted) someone did post that the ship was sold to Bahamas Paradise. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=53761557&postcount=7

But, of course, it's possible that you didn't read the whole thread before you started posting there.

And you also said:

Can or will Costa deny boarding to a non EU citizen, who books and pays for a Costa cruise on the (cheap) Costa EU website, while entering his correct passport address & Pin code (outside EU) in the address column?

Which would lead most of us to believe you're asking about yourself.

With a follow up post giving (possibly hypothetical) example of how that would work:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=53791862&postcount=24

You do go on to say (after having that question answered) "so I guess I cannot book on another country (cheap) Costa website; to avoid any problems/risk of denial at the time of boarding."

So it looks like you didn't.

Look, the "fairly similar replacement" you say is on a different ship, departing from a different port and in a different time of the year.

So, I really don't think they are providing with a "fairly similar replacement".

I would like to hear from the OP if there is an economical difference between the original cruise a that offered. And also know in what amount.

And yes, the OP in good will contracted a cruise from a certain port, on a certain ship and on a certain date. The cruise line agreed to provide it. Now, they are saying "no sorry, no cruise for you... too bad. Here is 100€ and a completely different cruise for you". Really? Is that the best Costa can do to clean their mess? I think it is not. And if that's the only option they can provide, they SHOULD compensate.

Thanks so much for understanding my point of view.

There is no price change in my booking. For 2 adults, $2258 + Euros 580 mandatory service charges

Costa canceled my cruise (NeoClassica) & replaced it with a different ship (NeoRiviera)

They also changed the date from September (best season for Italy & Greece, not too hot or cold) to November (early winter, off season).

They changed the departure port from Bari to Venice.

OBC offered as compensation is Euro 100 per person. No cabin upgrade, no drinks package. Nothing else.

Do you think I should ask for higher OBC of 300 euros per person? I dont want to cancel or get a refund.

Thanks again!

Edited by drsel

I accepted their offer then, because I didn't want to cancel and get a refund.

Later, I read on another thread, that a cruiser (whose cruise was cancelled), was generously offered another similar free cruise plus OBC equal to the amount he paid.

So, I was wondering if I could get a better deal. That's all!

Edited by drsel

Thanks so much for understanding my point of view.

There is no price change in my booking. For 2 adults, $2258 + Euros 580 mandatory service charges

Costa canceled my cruise (NeoClassica) & replaced it with a different ship (NeoRiviera)

They also changed the date from September (best season for Italy & Greece, not too hot or cold) to November (early winter, off season).

They changed the departure port from Bari to Venice.

OBC offered as compensation is Euro 100 per person. No cabin upgrade, no drinks package. Nothing else.

Do you think I should ask for higher OBC of 300 euros per person? I dont want to cancel or get a refund.

Thanks again!

I suggested to ask for OBC equal to 300€ per cabin and a cabin upgrade in category. But, if you have already accepted the offer Costa gave you, it might be impossible to ask for anything more now because now you are already booked on the new cruise under the conditions you agreed, and those conditions have not changed

I suggested to ask for OBC equal to 300€ per cabin and a cabin upgrade in category. But, if you have already accepted the offer Costa gave you, it might be impossible to ask for anything more now because now you are already booked on the new cruise under the conditions you agreed, and those conditions have not changed

All bookings on NeoClassica were AUTOMATICALLY TRANSFERRED to NeoRiviera sailing in November.

Costa didn't offer any other alternative. Either you accept this transfer to another ship sailing in off season (and 100 euro OBC as compensation) or take your money back!

Edited by drsel

And BTW I also think that the offer Costa gave you was not good at all. They are greed and give you a lame offer to start. You must always negotiate more and give them the reasons why you think you deserve a better compensation (as you just did here). I really think your reasons are more than enough to get more than you settled for.

I think all bookings on NeoClassica were AUTOMATICALLY TRANSFERRED to NeoRiviera sailing in Nov.

Costa didn't offer any other alternative. Either you accept this transfer to another ship sailing in off season (and 100 euro OBC as compensation) or take your money back!

Yes, the change could be automatic but it does not mean that you have to agree with it. When DCL changed my cabin it was also made automatically and no communication was given to me. When I saw it, I contacted them through my TA. They offered different options, the first one being 100$ OBC, which I declined. At the end, got 500$ back from my cruise fare. Disney made me write an email saying that I agreed to the changes.

Did you or your TA agree to the offer in any way?

Why did Costa move your departure to Nov. instead of Sept.? Did you ask for a Sept. sailing?

Yes, the change could be automatic but it does not mean that you have to agree with it. When DCL changed my cabin it was also made automatically and no communication was given to me. When I saw it, I contacted them through my TA. They offered different options, the first one being 100$ OBC, which I declined. At the end, got 500$ back from my cruise fare. Disney made me write an email saying that I agreed to the changes.

Did you or your TA agree to the offer in any way?

Why did Costa move your departure to Nov. instead of Sept.? Did you ask for a Sept. sailing?

A $500 discount! Wow! You are a smart negotiater!.

Mine was a repositioning cruise in Sept on NeoClassica. Now that it is sold, Costa doesnt have any sailing for this route & itinerary in Sept.

In fact, the only sailing they have (on this itinerary) in 2018 is in November on NeoRiviera (dragged in to replace NeoClassica).

Also, now the price has risen significantly from the time I booked.

I have never sailed Costa, so I would like to try them out.

I am wondering, if I try to negotiate for 300 Euro OBC, will Costa simply just cancel my booking & refund my deposit ? Can they do that?

Edited by drsel

A $500 discount! Wow! You are a smart negotiater!.

Mine was a repositioning cruise in Sept on NeoClassica. Now that it is sold, Costa doesnt have any sailing for this route & itinerary in Sept.

In fact, the only sailing they have (on this itinerary) in 2018 is in November on NeoRiviera (dragged in to replace NeoClassica).

Also, now the price has risen significantly from the time I booked.

I have never sailed Costa, so I would like to try them out.

I am wondering, if I try to negotiate for 300 Euro OBC, will Costa simply just cancel my booking & refund my deposit ? Can they do that?

No they can't cancel on their own. You must be the one to cancel if you don't like their offer.

You did not answer whether you had agreed with the changes and OBC offered in any way (phone call recorded, email...). If you have it will be pretty tough to negotiate a different compensation.

Well, I didn't criticize you and I appreciate your stand on what the Cruise lines position might be.

I never said or suggested that you did. That was directed at a different poster. (See post #16 and my response #17).

However you did try to put words in my mouth with your post #12 - and my response #15 - by suggesting a position regarding you that I never had stated or implied.

And I do not have a "stand" on the cruise position - that implies to me that I universally align with them. I simply provided information as to what I thought they may do. However, I did also offer my opinion (post #11) that in this instance that I thought the reason for the cancellation was valid and the offer made reasonable, and that you may not be successful in negotiating for something more. And I still stand by that opinion.