First time in NYC

blazerjan

We will be sailing out of NYC for the first time in the fall of 2018. If we fly in the night before would be best to stay near the airport or near the port?

There aren't great hotels by either airport.

Is the departure port Brooklyn or Manhattan? If it's Brooklyn, check out some of the hotels in the Wall Street/World Trade Center area - it's a quick shot through the Brooklyn-Battery Tunnel from there to the pier in Brooklyn. If departure is from Manhattan then, obviously, you'll want to stay some place in midtown.

I agree with Rigby. Easy to get from downtown to Bk'lyn. Have stayed all over the city and have been happy everywhere. Do try and catch a show. Broadway or off-Broadway. Tons to choose from & you can get discounted tickets at three different locations. Enjoy - NYC one of my favorite places.

I am doing the same, and found somewhere in midtown is best overall central. More than likely leaving from redhook I am guessing. Lots to do nearby for the night

Cheaper hotels downtown, especially if it's a weekend. Cheaper cab/car ride to the Brooklyn pier. And it's a quick subway ride to the touristy midtown/Times Square/Theater District areas.

Lots to do downtown too - Soho, Little Italy, Chinatown, Greenwich Village, Tribeca, Battery Park, National September 11 Memorial and Museum, off-Broadway.

If you are actually landing in the evening the day before the cruise, stay wherever it is easiest for you. If you are landing around noon, I would select a hotel in Manhattan so you can see a few sites. You may wish to take an extra day there is lots to see in NY.

Cheaper hotels downtown, especially if it's a weekend. Cheaper cab/car ride to the Brooklyn pier. And it's a quick subway ride to the touristy midtown/Times Square/Theater District areas.

Lots to do downtown too - Soho, Little Italy, Chinatown, Greenwich Village, Tribeca, Battery Park, National September 11 Memorial and Museum, off-Broadway.

I'm in on icy 23, cruise leaves on the 26th. We are staying on 151 east Houston, so. Or too bad. Planning a 48 HOHO bus which does the 4 loops and boat tour. Should cover most of the tourist spots for us.

Thanks everyone!! We will be flying into LaGuardia but have no idea which port we sail out of. We are planning a staying a few days in NYC after the cruise so was just interested in best price and best location for pre cruise.

Do you have a booking yet?

In your booking go to calendar-planning, in itinerary click on "view general port information" departure port, it should show actual pier details there.

I'm in on icy 23, cruise leaves on the 26th. We are staying on 151 east Houston, so. Or too bad. Planning a 48 HOHO bus which does the 4 loops and boat tour. Should cover most of the tourist spots for us.

East Village - I used to live a block away. Be sure to eat at Katz 's Deli down the block. (Tip: Instead of eating there, take the sandwiches back to the hotel. Stand in line at one of the carving stations, put several dollars in the guy's tip cup when it's your turn and you'll not only get a bigger sandwich and a big bag of pickles but he'll put out a plate with meat on it for you to eat while he's making your sandwiches.)

For the ultimate NYC "dining" experience, order 2 hot dogs and a hot pretzel with mustard at a hot dog cart ("roach coach"). But only if you have a really strong stomack!!!

Have you ever noticed in Manhattan that hot dog carts are only between Herald Square and Columbus Circle? There are no hot dog carts below 33rd Street nor above 60th St.

Do you have a booking yet?

In your booking go to calendar-planning, in itinerary click on "view general port information" departure port, it should show actual pier details there.

Our Regal transatlantic last year said "Manhattan or Brooklyn" from the beginning till the end. Never did say which one. It was Brooklyn, and I think most Princess cruises use the Brooklyn pier.

Jim

Our Regal transatlantic last year said "Manhattan or Brooklyn" from the beginning till the end. Never did say which one. It was Brooklyn, and I think most Princess cruises use the Brooklyn pier.

Jim

Yes, as an disembarkation from a TA. But a NY stop between embarkation and disembarkation is in Manhattan. Princess does not embark or disembark in Manhattan, unless its extenuating circumstances, like super storm Sandy