If you had to choose: Cagney's or Le Bistro?

jenniferandwhatnot

So, if I still have an SDP credit remaining on my account, but want to have, for example, Teppanyaki charged to my on board account, do I just tell the server? I was thinking we might have to strategically plan our reservations in order to use the 3 SDP credits on the a-la-carte places before going to the flat rate spots?

First some LINKS to check out regarding the SDP:

https://www.ncl.com/onboard-packages/dining-packages

https://www.ncl.com/specialty-dining-package/faq

With this background best to purchase the SDP in advance for the price break and discount.

I believe that the most expensive SDP ala-carte selection is the Teppanyaki and the least the Italian.

To incur the minimum of charges over the SDP dine at the Italian or least expensive last.

If you have trouble with the order of the billing check with Guest Services for a possible adjustment.

I believe that the Teppanyaki ala-carte price is around $30.

I think the order of price is Teppanyaki - Le Bistro - Cagney's - Moderno - Il Cacina

Other CC members may be better able to break it down and explain it.

But who am I to complain or comment about restaurants - I can't even boil water ! LOL !

We have the three specialty dinners included. I already know we want to do Teppanyaki and Moderno.

So we have one remaining - should we do Cagney's or Le Bistro?

We go to steakhouses often and he is a huge fan of a good ribeye. But we also have never been to a French restaurant, and I have heard that Le Bistro makes a great steak.

Any opinions?

This is on Pearl, BTW. :D

Really subjective. We'd choose Le Bistro because I love their 4-mushroom soup, hubby loves their escargot. We think their steak is as good as Cagneys but we have also had their lamb chops, excellent.

Merci!

So, if I still have an SDP credit remaining on my account, but want to have, for example, Teppanyaki charged to my on board account, do I just tell the server? I was thinking we might have to strategically plan our reservations in order to use the 3 SDP credits on the a-la-carte places before going to the flat rate spots?

You tell the host/ hostess how you will be charging the meal.

I really wanted to do Teppanyaki twice on a back to back cruise recently. We had to wait to make reservations on the ship because we could not do it online. So we ended up booking it the first night. While I loved the show (really cute, no fire, but singing and some knife skills, and they were funny), the food was not fabulous. I had steak and shrimp and it just lacked some flavor. So did the rice. Hubby had scallops and shrimp, and even though he had asked that they overcook the scallops, they did not. He went ahead and ate a couple and they were underdone, and he believes he became ill that night because of it.

We loved LeBistro and Cagney's both, although LeBistro (surprisingly) had a better filet of beef, and we liked it better. We did not do Moderno.

So I'd probably those two, LeBistro and Cagney's, and just not do Teppanyaki again. We did La Cucina week two, with LeBistro and Cagney's, and were pleased.

Good luck - you probably really can't go wrong with whatever choice you make!

trade out the teppanyaki. do cagneys & le bistro. we did that and the moderno and cagneys was the best for service and quality of food.

I agree, Teppanaki's is ok, but to us, it is over rated. The chefs do entertain, some better than others, the food is good, but there is so much rice. I am glad we have tried them more than once, but if one can do it, Le Bistro and Cagney's are the way to go, yes,followed by Modernos.

Merci!

Nah. You don't have to do that. I hit 3 a la cartes later in the week and went to Moderno first. The server asked if I had the UDP, I simply said I do, but I am paying for this one and using the UDP the rest of the week.

It was charged to my shipboard account.

No issue whatsoever.

Here's another angle to consider... we take the dining package as a perk and purchase another three nights, skipping the MDR for dinner. NCL speciality dining is a favorite part of the cruise, even for our teens. For $23 bucks pp you get a fine dinning experience that would cost likely 4x that at home, in an amazing venue with the ship's best service staff. And, avoid what feels to us more like banquet dining. Huge bargain and it makes every night of the cruise special! You can makes your rounds and repeat your favorites! Enjoy, you really cannot go wrong.

We just disembarked from the escape this morning. Probably the worst meal we had on the entire cruise was at LE Bistro; The service was terrible, the duck Parmentier resembled cafeteria food and it took 20 minutes for bread and ice water to arrive at the table. We both agreed to buffet would've been a better choice! :-(

The best two we're probably at Bayamoanf Pinchos Tapas. The carpaccio st Bayamo what is perhaps the best we've ever tasted (we are foodies"). We had nine different dishes at Pinchos and each one was almost better than the last. The shrimp- both preparations-, the scallops, the bacalao, the duck...not to mention the meats and cheeses platters... we're almost all extraordinary. The anchovies were not my partner's favorite but I love them. And it's the only specialty restaurant open for lunch. We spent well over two hours there and savored just about every minute of it!

I would take a look at both menus. I find the steak at Le Bistro to be superior to that in Cagney's, but there are many more items on the Cagney's menu that I would enjoy, so I end up getting the same meal at Le Bistro even if I go twice in one week (and I don't mind - it's good!) But if one or both of you don't find any of the desserts or soups/salads appealing, that may make the decision for you.

I like Cagney's well enough, and it's better than the main dining room, but it's not really competition for a good steakhouse on land. Same for Moderno -- if you have churrascaria at home, you probably won't be terribly impressed.

LeBistro depending on the entrée has extremely small portions. I got the lamb and it was 3 ounces aprox. and they had lined up 6 fava beans underneath it. I wasn't that hungry so no big deal but if I was hungry it wouldn't

have been enough.

That's when you order 3 apps and two desserts. ;p

I would take a look at both menus. I find the steak at Le Bistro to be superior to that in Cagney's, but there are many more items on the Cagney's menu that I would enjoy, so I end up getting the same meal at Le Bistro even if I go twice in one week (and I don't mind - it's good!) But if one or both of you don't find any of the desserts or soups/salads appealing, that may make the decision for you.

I like Cagney's well enough, and it's better than the main dining room, but it's not really competition for a good steakhouse on land. Same for Moderno -- if you have churrascaria at home, you probably won't be terribly impressed.

Interesting. We did the steakhouse on a Carnival cruise and weren't impressed, but I was hoping Cagney's would be up to par with Ruth's or Mastros, at least.

We also have done Fogo de Chao a few times and their meat quality is so good, I hope Moderno holds up.

Such first world concerns to have! :confused:

In the end though, I think we've agreed to try both Le Bistro and Cagney's - because why not? We are working and saving up for this cruise, so might as well treat ourselves!

Interesting. We did the steakhouse on a Carnival cruise and weren't impressed, but I was hoping Cagney's would be up to par with Ruth's or Mastros, at least.

We also have done Fogo de Chao a few times and their meat quality is so good, I hope Moderno holds up.

Such first world concerns to have! :confused:

In the end though, I think we've agreed to try both Le Bistro and Cagney's - because why not? We are working and saving up for this cruise, so might as well treat ourselves!

I would choose Cagney's. Cagney's is very good, but it's not Ruths Chris, Delmonico's, Morton's, or Peter Luger good.