Fly into FLL, sail POM. Lots of options, but what do others prefer?

fflashh

Saturday sailing 24 February, 2018 Equinox 7 nights. Probably flying SW air. What's your fav plan? Day before in fll area, shuttle to POM area? Rent a car, shuttle, area to stay, day room??? What works best? Please advise. Thanks, fflashh

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes, there are a couple of options. But what you need to decide is what works best for you. And we don't know what your considerations are. When are you arriving? How many in your party? Budget issues? Mobility issues.

Given the info you have, you should decide what works for you. Our "favs" may, or may not be relevant to your particular circumstances.

We have cruised out of and enjoyed Fort Lauderdale often, but our last couple cruises had us leaving from POM/ Miami. After flying into FLL, we transferred once via QLS shuttle and another by uber to down town Miami. Both worked well. Being near the port for boarding allows for a late sleep, long breakfast and our hour walk before heading to the ship.

Like mentioned, you can choose FT.L for your night and

shuttle/Uber in the morning. Depends too on when you arrive.

Edited by eandj

As others said I would do what works best for you.

Our preference is to stay in Miami but like most things some would prefer Fort Lauderdale.

We like to stay in downtown Miami.

If your flight gets in late I would stay in Fort Lauderdale.

If it gets in early then both are good options.

Keith

Arriving later we prefer to stay in FLL area and Uber to POM; Uberx is about $35+ to POM depending upon where your hotel is located.

Arriving earlier we sometimes choose to stay in Miami - use Uber from FLL to hotel and another Uber to POM in the morning.

Preferably we use the closest airport to the cruise port. If it's necessary, an Uber between MIA/FLL or vice versa is cheap and easy. I prefer the hotel selection in Miami for the most part. I definitely would not rent a car unless you had specific areas you wanted to visit that required driving yourself. This is probably the most commonly discussed conundrum on here, but in reality, it's very easy and inexpensive to get around both airports/cities/cruiseports. If you like a more urbane environment, choose Miami. If you want more of a suburban strip mall feel with chain restaurants, Fort Lauderdale would be the pick.

You are traveling on the tail end of President's Day week and the very first week of early Spring Break season, so you may want to make your reservations sooner than later.

Same question - looking at flights for a Mar 24th sailing on Equinox out of Miami - it is much less expensive for to fly into/out of FLL than MIA

What would be the earliest flight home - can we make an 11:30 flight out of FLL if we use self assist and get right off the ship in the morning or would we be cutting it too close?

thx for any advice for those who have "been there, done that"

Same question - looking at flights for a Mar 24th sailing on Equinox out of Miami - it is much less expensive for to fly into/out of FLL than MIA

What would be the earliest flight home - can we make an 11:30 flight out of FLL if we use self assist and get right off the ship in the morning or would we be cutting it too close?

Yes you can make it if everything moves smoothly. Plan one hour of transport time. Allow two hours at airport for lines.

Now you just have to hope the ship arrives and clears customs without delays.

We pick flights at 12:30 at the earliest, so we don't feel rushed.... or worry the night before.

Generally speaking, with self-assist at 6:30 - 7AM... an 11:30AM flight would be VERY easy to make at FLL from POM. You'll probably end up sitting at the gate for at least a couple of hours. I'd take an 11:30 flight in a heart beat if that's a good option for you. Definitely fly out of FLL if it's less expensive. The drive between the two airports is trivial. I live here and fly out of MIA or FLL, it makes no difference other than an extra 20 - 30 minutes drive, big deal.