Guaranteed Cabins. What did you get? Would you do it again?

Stockjock

Have never booked a guarantee with RCI, but have booked several guarantee cabins on Carnival and one on Princess.

First time on Carnival...booked an ocean view guarantee, ended up with an ocean view on lowest deck midship.

Second time on Carnival...same booking, same result.

Princess....booked an ocean view guarantee, was “upgraded”to a slightly larger ocean view cabin, near the bridge, which I didn’t like because we had to either have lights off or curtain closed at night because apparently was an interference to bridge operation. Cabin was a bit nicer than the standard ocean view.

Last Carnival Cruise, had booked an ocean view guarantee, and was upgraded to an obstructed balcony. Now, as far as the obstruction, it was the broad side of a lifeboat, unless you stood up and craned your neck, there wasn’t much view. However, being that we didn’t pay a balcony room price, I couldn’t complain because we at least had some fresh air and a “view.”

Our first RCI cruise, we booked a Family Promenade for the 5 of us. Upcoming cruise, we will not have the youngest with us, so we specifically booked an aft facing junior suite.

We booked a W guarantee on Allure of the Seas for March Break, and just had it assigned after the final payment deadline passed a couple of weeks ago. Fingers were crossed for a grand suite, but that's a tall order over March Break. We ended up with a jr. suite, 7626. I've very happy with the location! Now...we wait...

• 2 months later...
about how far out did you book these? Where is the option listed to see if they are even available?

No pattern on availability - though typically closer to sailing. You'll see them when you start the booking process - RCI has renamed them to say "We pick the room" instead of the previous GTY naming scheme.

about how far out did you book these? Where is the option listed to see if they are even available?

I've had GUAR offered way in advance and also not long before sailing. In my case, they had 1-2 Spa Junior Suites offered, so I could pick, or a Spa Junior GUAR. I took the GUAR and did end up with an upgrade.

But...I already knew that the worst I could do was a Spa Junior Suite, all of which are in favorable locations. So I knew I had nothing to lose with the GUAR Cat W option. There are times where there are great locations and really bad ones, so it can be a roll of the dice. Of course, most of the time they'll let you switch cabins if you don't like the assignment, as long as there's something open at the minimum category that you are guaranteed.

Of course, most of the time they'll let you switch cabins if you don't like the assignment, as long as there's something open at the minimum category that you are guaranteed.

Normally, they will only let you switch (if at all) within the exact category assigned.

No pattern on availability - though typically closer to sailing. You'll see them when you start the booking process - RCI has renamed them to say "We pick the room" instead of the previous GTY naming scheme.

so I have actually seen that and not realized.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I am sailing in June and received my room assignment several days before final payment. Booked a 6D Guarantee and was slightly upgraded to a 5D. Forward but do have an extended balcony. I am happy with the assignment.

Still waiting for my September cruise room assignment.